**Looking to get an Epiphone LP Custom Pro. What do y'all think?**

Neptical

Reaction score
Thanks everyone!

A lot of good suggestions here and it's very much appreciated to say the least. I'll have to think it out . The newer Epi LP Custom Pros are VERY inviting. My hands are dying to hold one - put cream 'buckers in it. Been fantasizing about one since my music teacher in HS let me borrow Al DiMeola's " Elegant Gypsy" on vinyl. Also, I absolutely LOVE Steve Gaines with that Black Beauty.

Anyways, now you know where I'm going with this.:cool:

BTW- I have two PRS Standard 24s (late 90s,early 2000s) that were my pride and joy for years. Bought them brand spanking new back then. My hands begged for a maple neck years later which put a 2011 MIM HSS Strat in my hands. Talk about feeling like I finally found home. There's nothing like a maple neck to me, especially with HSS config. Butter, butter, butter.

With that being said, I hope that once I take the plunge that I am finding a similar at home feeling with the Epi LP Custom Pros!

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
man you know what im gonna say lol.
go find you a cool Epiphone and rock it. its already been said that the last few namm shows have suggest Epiphone the Namm choice. they are great bang for the buck dont listen to the nay-sayers.
ive played MANY that were on the level of Gibson products. ive preached them for yrs on here too
and here come the nay-sayers roflmao.
add you your choice of pups, locking tuners, tusq nut and your good. they stay in tune very well
ever w/o the locking tuners. the string angle is better than gibson so is the neck angle. im not bashing Gibson
here im lifting up Epiphone.
here check out this model. its a 2022

any yr from this line is amazing. put one in your hands any you will know your holding a killer
guitar.

Mrmadd

Reaction score
Have several EPI les pauls.
Korean, Chinese.
Interesting how different some of the models are threw the years of production.
Neck ttpes and sizes.
One thing that remains the same is how well each of them play.

I have a Gibson LP. When I place some of my EPIs next to it, you can see where the EPIs are a very slight
percentage smaller in size. Also in wieght. This difference is very slight.
I find the size to make it way more comfortable to play. Tone is still there.

Color finishes are usually brighter and more vibrant. No problem with that.

I have a green one with Duncan Invaders, and a red one with Duncan Black Winter pickups.
They are both tone monsters.

PelliX

Reaction score
Also in wieght. This difference is very slight.
I find the size to make it way more comfortable to play. Tone is still there.

Ha, I thought that was psychosomatic on my part!

ive played MANY that were on the level of Gibson products. ive preached them for yrs on here too

You've been in this game longer than I have, that's a fact. I think there's an overlap between, say, the top of the Epis and the bottom of the Gibson range, right now. The Epis I played also ALL had the truss rod cover mounted straight. Sometimes I think Gibson fudge that on purpose to keep the rumors alive...

they are great bang for the buck dont listen to the nay-sayers.

Bang for buck ratio, sure. But this can be misleading. What I mean is, if you compare a $5 Chinese digital watch with a $5000 Rolex, you may find out that they both accurately tell the time with no observable deviation over the period of a month. Obviously, you're getting the same bang for much less buck with the cheap watch. Or are you? Although the ratio may be better, I think we can agree that the Rolex is a better piece of craftsmanship, is most likely far superior in quality and has a re-sell value. Will the $5 watch help you keep track of time just as well? Yes, for a given period, it most likely will.

Couple of disclaimers; I don't wear a watch, it's an example. I'm not trying to detract from what you're saying, but respectfully provide a different angle.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Ha, I thought that was psychosomatic on my part!

You've been in this game longer than I have, that's a fact. I think there's an overlap between, say, the top of the Epis and the bottom of the Gibson range, right now. The Epis I played also ALL had the truss rod cover mounted straight. Sometimes I think Gibson fudge that on purpose to keep the rumors alive...

Bang for buck ratio, sure. But this can be misleading. What I mean is, if you compare a $5 Chinese digital watch with a $5000 Rolex, you may find out that they both accurately tell the time with no observable deviation over the period of a month. Obviously, you're getting the same bang for much less buck with the cheap watch. Or are you? Although the ratio may be better, I think we can agree that the Rolex is a better piece of craftsmanship, is most likely far superior in quality and has a re-sell value. Will the $5 watch help you keep track of time just as well? Yes, for a given period, it most likely will.

Couple of disclaimers; I don't wear a watch, it's an example. I'm not trying to detract from what you're saying, but respectfully provide a different angle.
not misleading at all. the example you gave is over expectation.
anybody that tries to comare a chinese watch to a rolex for any
reason has other issues altogether and thats usually used as a defense
move more than any other two guitar companies ever. kinda makes me wonder why that is?
i bet i know lol. "hey look at my $700 Epiphone guitar" the other guy, "yeah but its not as nice as mt $2,500
gibson". its like playing who has the bigger dick to be honest. a game often played by the
insecure isnt it?
with most epiphones you get more than you pay for. the same can not be said about
most Gibsons. there is a area where the epi does overlap with gibson for sure.
but with a gibson there is a point that playability stops increasing and the rest is
finishes, recreations, and a shit ton of marketing. sadly there are a lot of suckers out there
that believe the hype of the marketing. but hey if thats what you like buy 5 of them.

bottom line, the guy asked about Epi and not Gibson. Epi makes a killer guitar at any price range
they target. again great bang for the buck. want a better Epi, spend a lil more money. dont have a lot to spend
Epi has ya covered. one of the best building platforms on the market. build it into what you like.
they stay in tune reasonably well and better than the guitars they are often compared to.
their neck angle is much better and break WAY less often as well.
sure the rolex might be a better piece of craftsmanship but ya cant take it with you everywhere you go
but that chinese watch you sure as hell can. to me that would make the chinese watch way more useful
and a much better bargin. and chances are, that chinese watch will take a harder impact than that rolex will.
now try to find somebody willing to test drop that rolex from 3 stories up to the concrete below
up against this chinese watch lol. sure the rolex crew will have every excuse under the sun and talk a ton
of shit too, but they damn sure wont take the challenge. not saying the rolex isnt a nice watch cause it is,
but at the same time its not as practical as the chinese watch.

steveb63

Reaction score
I've owned three "modern" Epiphone LP's.

Could never find a thing to bitch about, I went in knowing the pick ups would be replaced.

The last one didn't even get the upgrade. I thought the "Burstbuckers" sounded just great with my rig.

Also, all three came very well set up. I mean the smallest of changes were made when I did the setups.

Enjoy, you should be safe with one, and enjoy playing it for many years- hopefully!

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anyone suggested the Gibson Custom Shop inspired 59 Epi LP to you @Neptical?

They have,… Gibson Burstbucker 2 and 3 pickups, I think, Cts pots, Mallory caps, one piece neck with a long neck tenon! Yes, a long neck tenon!! AAA maple top, Switchcraft toggle switch and jack input.

Lots of great features,….. if you can find the right one, the one that has the right feel in your hands.

The new headstock design is much improved imo, might help getting past the name on the headstock.

Last edited:

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Oh and just one more thing. I love the Epiphone LP range but oh my gosh doesn't an SG feel soooooo much lighter than an LP. I own two LPs but I tell you this much, they will be the last ones if SGs can sound like them and save my back!

As the guitarist says about LPs... "Great tone, bad back".

ITburst

Reaction score
Has anyone suggested the Gibson Custom Shop inspired 59 Epi LP to you @Neptical?

They have,… Gibson Burstbucker 2 and 3 pickups, I think, Cts pots, Mallory caps, one piece neck with a long neck tenon! Yes, a long neck tenon!! AAA maple top, Switchcraft toggle switch.

Lots of great features,….. if you can find the right one, the one that has the right feel in your hands.

The new headstock design is much improved imo, might help getting past the name on the headstock.

Holy CRAP! That’s an Epi?? That’s sweet.

tomsvintage

Reaction score
Get it ! I found this one in the used section at GC for $249 with no case.

I could not resist :)

Epiphone SG Custom G-400 Pro Custom Shop

Love it :)

It has the fat neck and 3 volume with 1 master tone wiring that takes a while to get used to but has nice options.

Last edited:

steveb63

Reaction score

They have,… Gibson Burstbucker 2 and 3 pickups, I think, Cts pots, Mallory caps, one piece neck with a long neck tenon! Yes, a long neck tenon!! AAA maple top, Switchcraft toggle switch.

Just my opinion, I don't see how you can wrong with those features vs. money spent.

In my case, it's the bond/ comfort level. If I get one that feels like home - that is the important thing.

I would wager that is a great instrument, anyways there's my two cents, still worthless Lol.

Have fun on the hunt.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
…………In my case, it's the bond/ comfort level. If I get one that feels like home - that is the important thing………
^^^^ This is key right here, feel is 90% imo.

You can change the sound of the guitar in all kinds of ways, but the core feel of a guitar doesn’t change imo.

Latest posts