**Looking to get an Epiphone LP Custom Pro. What do y'all think?**

Neptical

Reaction score
As a Strat player for many years, I'm finally ready to delve in to the world of LPs. Surprisingly, many of my favorite players use LPs but I never liked the baseball bat necks.

Forward...the Epiphone LP Custom Pro looks fantastic and very inviting. Slim taper neck is right up my alley. Probuckers have great reviews, though I still want to try my Super D. It's a gorgeous looking instrument.

There's seems to be nothing but favorable reviews. I'm not able to try a bunch out to find the one, so it's going to be a one time shot.

Anyone here with one? What's your take?

KidBlast

Reaction score
I do not have a newish EPI LP but I do have a recent years Sheraton. In this one, the Probuckers came stock, a vast improvement to what Epiphone's came stock with prior. I had a sherry before and the pickups were atrocious.

The Sheraton setup has push / pull pots for series/parallel settings, I'm pretty sure the LP you are interested in would have it. It wont sound like a telecaster, as a lot of people inquire but it will thin the tone out a little, a bit of variety really is all it is for.

some of the other improvements are more of a standard issue Grover Machine heads, and improved electronics, eg Toggle switches/volume and tone pots, far better quality than in previous years.

The over fit and finsih quality is pretty consistent w/modern Epis. you'd be getting a decent axe for the money spent.

I'm pretty sure you'll need to sort out a case, these don't come with even a gig bag. But there are plenty of choices out there for a suitable case. (Gator, SBK, CrossRock - found on amazon)

Be aware tho,, cases have gotten rather expensive. what used to cost around $119 is now closer to $150/$160. so you have to some how factor that into the budget.

PelliX

Reaction score
As a Strat player for many years, I'm finally ready to delve in to the world of LPs. Surprisingly, many of my favorite players use LPs but I never liked the baseball bat necks.

Forward...the Epiphone LP Custom Pro looks fantastic and very inviting. Slim taper neck is right up my alley. Probuckers have great reviews, though I still want to try my Super D. It's a gorgeous looking instrument.

There's seems to be nothing but favorable reviews. I'm not able to try a bunch out to find the one, so it's going to be a one time shot.

I have nothing against Epi LP's - in fact I was looking at them just a month ago or so. I ended up doing a little research and found out that all Epi is now Made in China. Not that that's a bad thing per se, but I added a bit on top and got a cheap Gibson Made in USA, also because the Epi's that I tried didn't quite do it for me. If you have a serial number for the guitars you're looking at, you can check their origin (should also say something on the back of the headstock, too, though).

If you do find a magic MiC Epi - go for it, of course - I would have done the same, had I encountered one that 'clicked' with me.

PelliX

Reaction score
Ironically, I just saw a sweet water ad for a custom shop 59 standard reissue. $9.7K. That epi is a much better value.

LOL, for 9.7K I'd want free strings for a year, case, cover, stand, strap, home delivery and a happy end. Also, Unobtanium hardware, polished with certified free-range unicorn tears.

Moony

Reaction score
Maybe also take a look at Tokai guitars.
They have nice ones in their made in Japan range.
Unfortunately for me oftentimes the necks are too thin for a Les Paul - but if that's what you prefer?

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
I would look in the mirror first and ask yourself if you wouldn't rather have a Gibson. Several models have a slim taper neck. If you've owned Squier Strats in the past and have considered them inferior and upgraded them to Fenders, for example, you might be better served to get a Gibson now. It's always better to buy what you want the first time.

That being said, if it's a great Epi, it can be every bit as good a player as a great Gibson. Personally, if I were a Strat player and planned on staying that way, I'd go with the Epi. Fine guitars.

RCM 800

Reaction score
I would look at the PRS SE245's also. Maybe the ESP's also (not sure about model numbers). If the Epi is a true slim taper I could deal with that but most of the ones Ive tried in the past had a weird D shaped neck that I didnt dig at all. It was almost like the neck had corners if that makes sense.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Epiphones are making awesome guitars and won a few years of NAMM in a row because of it. You have to wonder if NAMM isn't trying to tell Gibson something. That they have a great line of guitars from their sister company here and therefore they should be...

Another thing is that people are getting the different humbucker sets from all the main LP models and simply swapping them out to make their own customized LPs.

Also if anything isn't up to spec on the Epiphone a good luthier usually solves that and you are still 1/4 of the price of the big brother models. Also, you won't feel as worried about playing it or taking it places.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
I’ve had about 6-7 epiphone Paul’s.

Two customs were older from mid 2000s and were really great players. Heavy and sounded good even with the pickups most people don’t like from way back. Both necks were medium thick.
The 1956 pro I had from 2014 was one of the best guitars I’ve ever played. Beautifully finished but the neck was opposite to what you want , it was massive! Comfy but massive.
The rest were pro plus tops. Early 2000-2015 from memory. All played nice but lacked something. The lacquer always looked a bit cheap and overly shiney kinda plasticy. Pots back in early 2000s were rubbish and I know the new ones are great.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had about 5 Epiphone LP’s , 2 where Korean builds, but they all played excellent and sounded really good , 2 of them got JB’s put in the bridge position, I still have one of them. A 2017 build, and it has the slim tapered neck, but I like the fat neck ones. I believe you will like it,, I just like my Gibson ones better,, but that’s just me..
Cheers
Mitch

Last edited:

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Oh, heads up.

Make sure that there's enough adjustment on the truss rod.

I tried a few before I settled on the one I kept and 2 had the truss rod loosened all the way and barely had enough relief for the strings they came with...9s or 10s.

Didn't measure with the calipers but I use 7s and those were 9s at least, I'm thinking they were 10s though. No way I'd get my desired relief with 7s, and even if I did, if the neck decided to shift I'd be screwed other than the fact that I could fix it myself for "free". My health like it is though, it'd take a while and be rough...

PelliX

Reaction score
The recent crop of Epi LPs are pretty excellent guitars - provided you don't get hung up on the standard stuff - headstock shape, poly finishes and sometimes meh-to-middling hardware and/or electronics.

For me, at the given price point, none of those things are deal breakers.

The 2020/2021/2022 models I had in my hands also had some more serious issues. Never got to checking any of the truss rods, but bridges not aligned with the neck, fretboards glued on badly, some poor fretwork in general. The cosmetic stuff and poor electronics are easily ignored or resolved, but the 'structure' needs to be OK. Maybe I've just been unlucky in my hunt. but I have no regrets of spending the extra dosh (and not too much of it) and getting a Gibson.

As @Trumpet Rider pointed out, there are very nice MIJ or MIK LP's (or LP style guitars) out there. I'd avoid China and Indonesia in general, but there are always diamonds in the rough. My MIM Tele beats *most* US made ones in my opinion (biased, yeah, I probably am a little). I've played a Squier Strat that frankly would have passed as US/MIM even though it was firmly Cort... Hunt enough and you may get lucky.

Calebz

Reaction score
The 2020/2021/2022 models I had in my hands also had some more serious issues. Never got to checking any of the truss rods, but bridges not aligned with the neck, fretboards glued on badly, some poor fretwork in general. The cosmetic stuff and poor electronics are easily ignored or resolved, but the 'structure' needs to be OK. Maybe I've just been unlucky in my hunt. but I have no regrets of spending the extra dosh (and not too much of it) and getting a Gibson.

As @Trumpet Rider pointed out, there are very nice MIJ or MIK LP's (or LP style guitars) out there. I'd avoid China and Indonesia in general, but there are always diamonds in the rough. My MIM Tele beats *most* US made ones in my opinion (biased, yeah, I probably am a little). I've played a Squier Strat that frankly would have passed as US/MIM even though it was firmly Cort... Hunt enough and you may get lucky.
Eeek. Sounds like my experience with 90s Epiphones😄

I have one MIC epi. A 2017 Iommi SG. Not my favorite guitar, but it's decent (and it was cheap). The only real drawbacks are the thick poly finish and meh switch/pots.

The LPs I've played have been in better shape than the one's you've played, that's for sure 😀.

There is also a good argument for other manufacturers in that price range. I'm a big fan of budget guitars and epis often sit in that uncomfortable spot where you're still paying a little more for comparably less for the privilege of playing authentic.

However, at that price bracket it usually isn't enough of a difference to be a deal breaker for lots of people

WoundUp

Reaction score

But slim taper necks have been available on Les Pauls, even Epis, for multiple decades. I'm no LP expert so I could be way off on this but I thought the only baseball bat necks, AFAIK, were the 50s models and reissues of those models, AFAIK. And maybe the Joe B stuff? Or a custom with specific specs, which would be a bit rarer than standard production LPs with slim taper.

Meaning most came/come with a slim taper neck afaik. That's what I found on most of the guitars I looked at, also. When I bought this last guitar in May, I was looking for an Epi but never found one within my price range that had a fat neck and everything else I wanted.

Literally every guitar I looked at had a slim taper. If it did have a fat neck, it was one of their more expensive "Inspired by Gibson" 59 bursts or a Joe B signature or something. I don't recall exactly so I just used those as general examples.

ITburst

Reaction score
I had a 2019 Tribute Plus. It was a fantastic guitar. Played and sounded great with Gibson Pickups, Grover locking tuners, etc. For the price you can’t go wrong. I only traded it in for a Gibson 50’s Standard because…well, just wanted a Gibson. And I am financially in a place where I could do so.
But if a budget is there for only an Epi, I say go for it with no fear.

Having said all that, if you could manage to save a bit more go Gibson. You may end up doing so later, as I did.

Just my 2 cents

wavytech

Reaction score
Sold a 90s Gibson LP Classic in 2020 that I bought used in very good condition, never played, but it was dark and did not speak to me. After I sold it I missed having a Les Paul and after some research bought a 2014 Epi LP Standard Pro with the money made on the Gibson sale. So, free to me. The Epi had a much better action and fit and finish than the Gibson. Not sure I can tell the difference between the Gibson burstbuckers and Epi probuckers, and the switch and jack plate had issues, but overall I like the Epi but did not like the Gibson. I have a Gibson ES 335 with burstbuckers that I like and have played for decades but it does not compare to an LP, different instrument.

Latest posts