Looking for advice - Power Valve/Tubes in amp were swapped for old/worn out ones before purchase 5 years ago (UK)

Quickstick4

Reaction score
Looking for advice on who to talk to/what to do about this:

Background:
Around 5 years ago I bought a JVM210C brand new, however after a third repair in 5 years, I've found out that the amp had its valves taken out and old/worn out valves placed inside.

The three repairs have been:
1) 2017 - By Marshall to fix an earth/crackling issue (they found burnt out resistors and replaced them) and the crackling went away...
2) 2019 - By an local tech to look at a crackling issues who found the pots were filthily, cleaned them up and fixed a huge bias error and the crackling went away...for a few months
3) 2022 - By a Marshall approved repair tech to look at the crackling issue, who found that the power valves were really worn out and not any brand/type that Marshall fit at the factory. (yes this was a long time after the crackling came back, but a lot of life things happened+COVID so didn't get round to it/used a different amp)

The Marshall approved tech was very clear, the power valves were not Marshall fitted. He initially thought I had put them in, but when I explained the back story, we came to the conclusion, someone may have bought the amp, swapped the valves out and returned it the shop. This would also explain how they were so worn out. He was also surprised Marshall didn't pick up that the power valves were non-standard for a brand new amp or at the very least asked if I had swapped the power valves out as that may have cause the initial damage.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue? It doesn't seem common (googling the forum - but I may have used the wrong search terms).

Normally I would just let this go - its now sorted. But its been a lot of hassle driving (the Marshall factory was a 8 hour round trip), and the two techs weren't cheap either. I am aware, if I had been gigging a lot with the amp 5 years is decent life before having to replace valves, but after the first couple of gigs before the crackling came about, I've barley been touching it, instead using my other amp in case I damaged the Marshall more.

So, who should I approach on this? The shop I bought it from or Marshall directly? Thanks.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Looking for advice on who to talk to/what to do about this:

Background:
Around 5 years ago I bought a JVM210C brand new, however after a third repair in 5 years, I've found out that the amp had its valves taken out and old/worn out valves placed inside.

The three repairs have been:
1) 2017 - By Marshall to fix an earth/crackling issue (they found burnt out resistors and replaced them) and the crackling went away...
2) 2019 - By an local tech to look at a crackling issues who found the pots were filthily, cleaned them up and fixed a huge bias error and the crackling went away...for a few months
3) 2022 - By a Marshall approved repair tech to look at the crackling issue, who found that the power valves were really worn out and not any brand/type that Marshall fit at the factory. (yes this was a long time after the crackling came back, but a lot of life things happened+COVID so didn't get round to it/used a different amp)

The Marshall approved tech was very clear, the power valves were not Marshall fitted. He initially thought I had put them in, but when I explained the back story, we came to the conclusion, someone may have bought the amp, swapped the valves out and returned it the shop. This would also explain how they were so worn out. He was also surprised Marshall didn't pick up that the power valves were non-standard for a brand new amp or at the very least asked if I had swapped the power valves out as that may have cause the initial damage.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar issue? It doesn't seem common (googling the forum - but I may have used the wrong search terms).

Normally I would just let this go - its now sorted. But its been a lot of hassle driving (the Marshall factory was a 8 hour round trip), and the two techs weren't cheap either. I am aware, if I had been gigging a lot with the amp 5 years is decent life before having to replace valves, but after the first couple of gigs before the crackling came about, I've barley been touching it, instead using my other amp in case I damaged the Marshall more.

So, who should I approach on this? The shop I bought it from or Marshall directly? Thanks.
Approach no one, buy a new set of tubes, install and bias. Throw the old tubes out if no good, your amp will sound good as new! :yesway:

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Approach no one, buy a new set of tubes, install and bias. Throw the old tubes out if no good, your amp will sound good as new! :yesway:
I'd agree.
Tubes aren't free, but for the cost and hassle of getting a tech or Marshall involved, just pony up for a new set of tubes and be done.

Quickstick4

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Had a feeling 5 years was too far to get any help (standfast Dr Who :D) - but thought it worth asking as some companies do long term support.

For anyone interested, here were the offending valves (ElectroHarmonix EL34EH) now removed. The tech put what should have been installed from new on the left:

Valves.jpeg

mark123

Reaction score
If the bias was really badly off the tech that fixed it probably also put the EHX tubes in. Not enough negative bias can red plate your power tubes right quick. The originals were probably toast. It’ll be on the invoice.

Browneyesound

Reaction score
Go back to the original store.

Find out the person who originally purchased the amp and returned it.

Give that person a visit, and tell them you know what he did, and ask what he’s going to do about it, in a very aggressive and threatening manner.

Oh yeah, that’s probably better.

Pete Farrington

Reaction score
My understanding of UK consumer law is that the sale contract, and hence warranty responsibility, is between the retailer (shop) and consumer.
But by now there’s no legal basis to try and get restitution; after all this time you’ll be deemed to have accepted the goods, warts and all.
But if you don’t ask, you don’t get, so if you’re minded to push the matter, complain to the shop / Marshall / trading standards. Consider using social media to get attention.