Looking for a good Flanger....

Silverdome

Reaction score
I was gravitating towards the EVH MXR one and then when supply chain issues hit they weren't available. Read nothing but positives about it. Probably try to pick one up soon.

jmp45

Reaction score
EH Electric Mistress. I have one from the mid 70s and it still sounds amazing, I have a mid 2000s Deluxe Mistress, the big footprint version. Equally as good. Newer xo compact version might be ok too, no experience.

Are you looking for a through zero flanger?

Last edited:

Deftone

Reaction score
Are you looking for a through zero flanger?
I don't know what that means.

*EDIT* looked it up, not sure I understand the difference, but I'll do more research.

Last edited:

Derek S

Reaction score
A second vote for the trusty old MiJ Boss BF-2. Depending on your needs, they do nail a least a couple of great sounds including VH flange parts and also the TNT/LeTekro tone trick (he used a BF-2 as a staple part of his chain). They pop up used often enough in decent shape and are pretty cheap (so no big loss if you get bored with it as I did).

Ramhead

Reaction score
My all time favorite Flangers are MIJ Boss BF-2 & vintage MXR MX-117, but the Strymon Deco is the one I'm using the most these days.

Andy did a great demo of it:

Deftone

Reaction score
EH Electric Mistress sounds really cool, but I might go MXR or Boss. Maybe try to find a local seller. There's a BF2 Taiwan available with 30min for $70 and a BF3 within a couple hours drive for a $100. Stereo sounds interesting.

There's also a DOD FX75 Stereo Flanger locally for $65...anyone have any experience with that one?

mark123

Reaction score
My all time favorite Flangers are MIJ Boss BF-2 & vintage MXR MX-117, but the Strymon Deco is the one I'm using the most these days.
I totally want a Deco. Right now I've only got one Flanger, an Arion SFL-1, because I prefer phaser and chorus. If you can find one it's a keeper.

PaulHikeS2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a very inexpensive Donner Jet Propulsion Flanger that ran about $30. I just wanted to try one out without breaking the bank and reviews of it were positive and mine works well.

If it were an effect that I would use regularly, I'd get the Boss BF2 as they're readily available for well under $100.

junk notes

Reaction score
Looking for a good Flanger....

Any recommendations?
Of course, all modulation pedals of the same effect do not sound the same..

Looking for thick & wet? - newer A/DA + has a small footprint. and can add an exp. ped.

jmp45

Reaction score
I don't know what that means.

*EDIT* looked it up, not sure I understand the difference, but I'll do more research.

EH Electric Mistress and Deluxe are analog. Stereo EH Mistress digital.

This is the EH flanger I used in the 70s, still have it and will keep it ;)

This is maybe a good example of a zero thru.

EH Deluxe Mistress with synth. In the pile of pedals too.

I'm currently using an Empress Nebulus. Still favor the EH though.

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
MXR > Boss on flange all day.

While it is not reliable to engage live due to the small size of the EVH tactile button, you actually have a 2-channel flanger that conforms to what you dialed by default, then reverts to EVH settings with the push of the button.

Fernieite

Reaction score
I guess I'm not much of a flanger guy. I've owned a vintage ADA and an EHX EM over the years. However, I sold them, and only kept a vintage Ross flanger. It's basically a clone of the MXR circuit, but more affordable...

Last edited:

lespaul339

Reaction score
I'd also recommend the Boss BF-2. That's what I use as well. Flanger isn't one of those effects I use that often, but that pedal nails a lot of cool tones, and is fun to mess with every once in a while.

Latest posts