Likely the end of Dean guitars

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Dean will probably figure things out and be back with something new. Big question will be if enough people will buy their new offerings.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Interesting. They still got their name/rep with
the metalcrowd i guess.

A chance for creativity.

Famous beer lawsuits come to mind. But in those cases the counterfeiters sued the creators.

D. should have sued G.:p

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
A few minor alterations and possibly some name adjustments, and they'll be just fine. Dean makes quality instruments and they aren't going anywhere.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
If Gibson spent a TENTH as much money on improving their guitar quality control and fit and finish as they do on suing those who build Gibson's guitar designs with a much higher quality of fit and finish than Gibson does, then that would enormously benefit Gibson's reputation in today's marketplace. It would be money better spent.

mark123

Reaction score
If Gibson spent a TENTH as much money on improving their guitar quality control and fit and finish as they do on suing those who build Gibson's guitar designs with a much higher quality of fit and finish than Gibson does, then that would enormously benefit Gibson's reputation in today's marketplace. It would be money better spent.
Quoted for posterity. Truth, brother.

V-man

Reaction score

Agreed, but of equal import: if Gibson realized that none of their customers would be buying Deans anyway due to their foreskin-ugly split HS design, they could pocket the difference as profit and continue building the shitty quality guitars that too many people excuse.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
never was a fan of dean guitars. especially those ugly ass dime models.
damn what a waste of good fire wood. those things are just butt fuggin ugly period.
however, the MAB model plays very nice.
there are a ton of guitars i would rather have for the price.

junk notes

Reaction score
:monkey:
these do not end well. Sorry Dean, ole' boy.:coffee:

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Quoted for posterity. Truth, brother.
Like it or hate it, Gibson is one of the two pioneers of the instrument (electric guitar) and has earned the right to protect it's name/image/trademark. I paid over Gibson money for a Kauer Banshee which is heavily influenced by the Gibson Firebird. I believe Kauer was approached by Gibson at one point in time and then altered their design to satisfy the attorneys. Play fair, build your own brand and the guitars will sell.

full

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Like it or hate it, Gibson is one of the two pioneers of the instrument (electric guitar) and has earned the right to protect it's name/image/trademark. I paid over Gibson money for a Kauer Banshee which is heavily influenced by the Gibson Firebird. I believe Kauer was approached by Gibson at one point in time and then altered their design to satisfy the attorneys. Play fair, build your own brand and the guitars will sell.

full

thats your Banshee TCO?

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i swear that pic looks like a museum piece. sweet looking bro. :applause:
Thanks Rick! Thank God for the wonderfully staged pic too--I remember telling the wife I wanted to drop a big nickel on a guitar and I got that look we all know.

I showed her that pic (it was from the seller, I'm not that artsy nor do I have a cool cream Marshall like that) and she said..."OK"....

Wahoo!

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Thanks Rick! Thank God for the wonderfully staged pic too--I remember telling the wife I wanted to drop a big nickel on a guitar and I got that look we all know.

I showed her that pic (it was from the seller, I'm not that artsy nor do I have a cool cream Marshall like that) and she said..."OK"....

Wahoo!
well hell she caved lol. women like pretty things even if it isnt theirs.
a pic is worth a thousand words isnt it.

jeffb

Reaction score
Fwiw, I've no issue with Gibson protecting their designs. Good on them. The Explorer and V were absolutely ahead of their time and unique. Nobody had ever come close to something like those. Or the Firebird or SG.

AFAIC, the ML is the best thing Dean ever made, I've owned several (along with Vs and Zs). All the youngsters say "Dime this..Dime that"...sorry kids, Elliot Easton , Rudy Schenker and Adrian Smith were playing them the world over while Dime was hiding used socks under his bed as his Mom walked in.

Latest posts