learning guitar history.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
this could prove to be a interesting thread if folks would allow.
im thinking of the story on 2112 where the guy finds the guitar
and takes it to the elders. which inspires my question.

if you had to be incharge of reintroducing guitar music to the future
masses, who would you suggest they studied? heres the catch though, im not talking about
introduction of rock, metal, blues, but guitar history. you gotta cover the whole
thing guys. or at least as much as you can. this will force you to think outside the box
in which WE ALL live. ok who would you suggest to future earth dwellers
to so study or listen to to cover as much guitar playing history as possible.
name 7 players. please think this over before you spit out names.
who are you leaving out? what genre are you forgetting about? who are you forgetting that
you might not even like to listen to? when you list the name please tell what genre they are from
just incase we dont know the name. if your doing this right your covering a lot of
genre's. remember, your reintroducing GUITAR HISTORY.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
In recorded (on records) history I would say Robert Johnson, Django, Les Paul, Segovia, Wes Montgomery, Chuck Berry, Chet Atkins, and Scotty Moore. oops 7 is not enough. I did not get to the mid 60's yet.
then start over. its not a easy question.
designed to make you think. and be more diverse.
7 bro. only 7. hopefully people can follow that part.
yes it takes a creative mind to do this one. well and the
ability to count to 7.

C-Grin

Reaction score
So I can’t count to 7 :shrug:.
So for a reset
1 Robert Johnson - blues
2 Les Paul- jazzish / swing
3 Chuck Berry - rock and roll baby
4 Jeff Beck - British Invasion to modern-ish rock
5 Tommy Emanuel/ for his acoustic work
6 Allan Holdsworth - prog
7 Stanley Jordan- modern jazz ( and because his style is so unorthodox.
8 Segovia - classical
Nope can’t count to 7
Ps -
9- some chugged to be named later
10 pick your shredder, I will say Satrianni

Last edited:

RCM 800

Reaction score
cool post.
1. Jimmy Page. He covers so much ground and so many styles and produced and wrote so much good music.
2. Hendrix. because Hendrix lol. But really he covered so much ground and was very interested in ways to expand the instrument.
3. Dave Mustaine. For me he pretty much defined the thrash and speed metal genre. His machine gun lead style really gave the music a viciousness that appeals to me. I like a lot of other bands in that genre but he has always been my favorite.
4. Jerry Cantrell. To me Jerry was like the Hendrix of the 90's. Just took the instrument to new levels.
5. Chuck Berry. To me Chuck pretty much was top of the heap of the 50's rock and roll players.
6. EVH. because EVH lol. If not for the insane playing than for the tone.
7. Pete Anderson. Definitely my favorite country player and hes produced a few of my favorite country albums. Hes not the shreddinist player but he might be the twangiest lol.

I dont know enough about Jazz or swing to really make an honest recomendation. I have some stuff from Chet Atkins, Les Paul and Wes Montgomery but it was more exploratory than for enjoyment and I think people starting out should play what they like since it helps feed into the desire to learn.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
cool post.
1. Jimmy Page. He covers so much ground and so many styles and produced and wrote so much good music.
2. Hendrix. because Hendrix lol. But really he covered so much ground and was very interested in ways to expand the instrument.
3. Dave Mustaine. For me he pretty much defined the thrash and speed metal genre. His machine gun lead style really gave the music a viciousness that appeals to me. I like a lot of other bands in that genre but he has always been my favorite.
4. Jerry Cantrell. To me Jerry was like the Hendrix of the 90's. Just took the instrument to new levels.
5. Chuck Berry. To me Chuck pretty much was top of the heap of the 50's rock and roll players.
6. EVH. because EVH lol. If not for the insane playing than for the tone.
7. Pete Anderson. Definitely my favorite country player and hes produced a few of my favorite country albums. Hes not the shreddinist player but he might be the twangiest lol.

I dont know enough about Jazz or swing to really make an honest recomendation. I have some stuff from Chet Atkins, Les Paul and Wes Montgomery but it was more exploratory than for enjoyment and I think people starting out should play what they like since it helps feed into the desire to learn.
thanks bro. makes you think doesnt it?

Matopotato

Reaction score
I would add someone not known for being very skilled but rather more "simple" player. I think Bob Dylan is better guitarist than what he gets credit for sometimes, but something along those lines.
To make the students of the future feel it is not so intimidating or daunting.
To hit any newbie with Hendrix and Segovia might not be inspirational for all.
Imho, ymmv etc

DOCPAGE

Reaction score
Great thread; great question. Without adding my 7, I’ll just opine my criteria. I look at guitarists who were game changers (and if you seriously contemplate it, there aren’t that many). I.e., EVH. There was guitar playing BEFORE him, and guitar playing AFTER. He forever changed the game. So, who else? Good question. JMcL, likely gets my vote. Les for his scientific innovations and contributions, but a game changer, guitar-wise? Meh…not so sure. Neither Tommy Emanuel (only because if there were no Chet, there’d be no Tommy—something he freely admits). CERTAINLY Segovia, no question, but I prefer Julian Bream. So, that’s my criteria….and perhaps I’ll ponder more, and list my 7….thanks for the intriguing post….

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Great thread; great question. Without adding my 7, I’ll just opine my criteria. I look at guitarists who were game changers (and if you seriously contemplate it, there aren’t that many). I.e., EVH. There was guitar playing BEFORE him, and guitar playing AFTER. He forever changed the game. So, who else? Good question. JMcL, likely gets my vote. Les for his scientific innovations and contributions, but a game changer, guitar-wise? Meh…not so sure. Neither Tommy Emanuel (only because if there were no Chet, there’d be no Tommy—something he freely admits). CERTAINLY Segovia, no question, but I prefer Julian Bream. So, that’s my criteria….and perhaps I’ll ponder more, and list my 7….thanks for the intriguing post….
your thinking i can see. i kinda lost interest in the thread honestly.
people that cant follow simply instruction to make the post follow its intended path.........
very simple instruction. SMH.

turfdoc

Reaction score
1. Narcisco Yepes-flamenco performer, 6-9 string guitars
2. Isaac Albeniz-composer late 1800's, works appear in both classical and rock (asturias thru to the Byrds)
3. Django Reinhardt-jazz, composer and performer
4. Robert Johnson-composer and performer, Delta blues
5. Chuck Berry-composer and performer, rock & roll
6. Chet Atkins-composer and performer, Travis and fingerstyle
7. Michael Hedges-composer and performer, acoustic new age

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
1. Narcisco Yepes-flamenco performer, 6-9 string guitars
2. Isaac Albeniz-composer late 1800's, works appear in both classical and rock (asturias thru to the Byrds)
3. Django Reinhardt-jazz, composer and performer
4. Robert Johnson-composer and performer, Delta blues
5. Chuck Berry-composer and performer, rock & roll
6. Chet Atkins-composer and performer, Travis and fingerstyle
7. Michael Hedges-composer and performer, acoustic new age
ah now we are getting diversity.

Latest posts