JVM205 Head Screech

Jim DeSclafani

Reaction score
when i turn on my JVM205 head ,after about 5 minutes , a screeching sound comes out last for 5-10 seconds, then the volume drops about 2 notches, and get alittle muddled, anyone else have suggestions before i start buying things that might not work, im thinkind preamp tubes?. starts out fine . then this happens and happens on both channels

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
when i turn on my JVM205 head ,after about 5 minutes , a screeching sound comes out last for 5-10 seconds, then the volume drops about 2 notches, and get alittle muddled, anyone else have suggestions before i start buying things that might not work, im thinkind preamp tubes?. starts out fine . then this happens and happens on both channels

Welcome to the forum.

Does it screech with the volume all the way down?

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have spare tubes lying around?

Something like 70% of tube amp issues are with the tubes, I would try swapping out the preamp tubes one at a time first.

If no luck, I would then change out the pair of power tubes with a matched set. Failing that, off to the tech it goes, because changing tubes is the extent of my amp knowledge, lol!

Jim DeSclafani

Reaction score
That would lead me to think preamp microphonic. Does it do it with volume off and gain low? A micro tube needs to have gain and volume.
So the latest!! Last nite clean green channel went out , but only thru back end, FYI I’m running a GT1000 with 4cm . Curious if that has something to do with it , I always ran it with clean green , now that doesn’t work, but will work if I switch to any other channel

Latest posts