Jvm, V30, and an ecc823!

Bloodrock

Reaction score
So I’ve been loving my jvm215c since I got it a couple weeks ago. I had installed a V- type and was considering doing the Od2-Od1 mod. But instead I decided to pull a v30 out of my unused 4x12 and install it. Wow what a difference compare to the v-type. I’ve got all the mids I need now! Then on a friends recommendation I picked up a JJec823 and stuck it in v1. Brought the OD orange and red modes down to perfect gain levels. Now I can push the gain past noon before the compression starts really kicking in. Man this is my perfect Marshall now. Clean/crunch is perfect for a strat/Tele and the Od channel is great for all levels of 80’s to metal gain now. I’m a happy camper!

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
So I’ve been loving my jvm215c since I got it a couple weeks ago. I had installed a V- type and was considering doing the Od2-Od1 mod. But instead I decided to pull a v30 out of my unused 4x12 and install it. Wow what a difference compare to the v-type. I’ve got all the mids I need now! Then on a friends recommendation I picked up a JJec823 and stuck it in v1. Brought the OD orange and red modes down to perfect gain levels. Now I can push the gain past noon before the compression starts really kicking in. Man this is my perfect Marshall now. Clean/crunch is perfect for a strat/Tele and the Od channel is great for all levels of 80’s to metal gain now. I’m a happy camper!

My buddy just recently got a 205H. He already new about me modding my 410H OD channels for less gain and has heard my JVM at his jams these last few years. He ended up doing what you did with the JJ 823 which puts a 12AU7 triode on that stage that the OD channels only use. Anyway, he ended up putting the 12AX7 back in his as I guess he likes the extra saturation. I did not get to hear his 205H with that 823 tube next to my 410H, bummer.

I dig V30's with my 410H too. But the Heritage Greenback M20 is the best fit for me right now with this amp out of all the types I have tried.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
@OP: I can't speak for other amp makes and models, but on the JVM a simple change of preamp tubes in the gain stage position really has a big impact on many aspect of tone. Whether it's lowering the gain factor or searching for a different voice, changing to a different brand and/or type will make a difference (just make sure a new preamp tube is compatible with the preamp tube type recommended by Marshall).

JJ, Electro-Harmonix, Tung-Sol, TAD, Mullard (current production), etc., all bring something a little different to the party. Give them a try and see what fits your needs best.

JvZ

Reaction score
I picked up a JJec823 and stuck it in v1. Brought the OD orange and red modes down to perfect gain levels.!

Sorry for digging up a older thread.

i own a JVM210. Voicing should be the same as yours. I use V30’s too

The ECC823 reduced gain on your 1-red, and 2-orange and red.

Don’t they get too close to the unaffected channels, like 1-orange, and 2-Green.?
Hoe do the channels follow up now to eachother, and is it somewhat more classic.?

I’m familiair how an ECC823 works, cause i’ve used one in a DSL15c V30 before. But i’m interested how it affects my JVM210

I couldn't find a video/ soundsample yet

Last edited:
Reaction score
Don't do it. Don't try the ECC823. In theory, it sounds great. It DID help the amp out when I used them. Unfortunately, I tried it twice and blew the tubes after about 2-4 hours...

Stuck the ECC83's back in and no more tubes blowing.

JvZ

Reaction score
I use them in both my amps for quite a few years now (JVM210h, and a DSL15c). No problems at all. !!
I even have never heard of anyone who had any problems. LOT's of people are using this method.

Actually, you don't even change much to the amp with this tube.
Green channels use a 12AX7 side, just as original
High gain chanels use both 12AX7 and the 12AU7side of this tube (In stead of 2x 12AX7 using the stock tube).

There's no reason at all why they should blow ... And they don't, fot a few years now.
Is your amp proper biased ...? (Both my amps are biased on the 70% max, according to the standard math).

It's kinda fool-proof actually. You can't do wrong doiing this, if you can find the first pre-amp tube (V6 in a JVM).

Last edited:
Reaction score
I use them in both my amps for quite a few years now (JVM210h, and a DSL15c). No problems at all. !!
I even have never heard of anyone who had any problems. LOT's of people are using this method.

Actually, you don't even change much to the amp with this tube.
Green channels use a 12AX7 side, just as original
High gain chanels use both 12AX7 and the 12AU7side of this tube (In stead of 2x 12AX7 using the stock tube).

There's no reason at all why they should blow ... And they don't, fot a few years now.
Is your amp proper biased ...? (Both my amps are biased on the 70% max, according to the standard math).

It's kinda fool-proof actually. You can't do wrong doiing this, if you can find the first pre-amp tube (V6 in a JVM).
Yep. All new tubes, KT77's and ended up using a 5751 in V1. I actually quit using the amp for about a year, but have been playing it a lot over the last few weeks wanting to see if it would blow. So far, so good. I mean - there is the chance that I got two bad 823's. I got two within a month of each other from Tube Depot? Could be a problem with the amp. Will let y'all know if that's the case...

jimmyo

Reaction score
Don't do it. Don't try the ECC823. In theory, it sounds great. It DID help the amp out when I used them. Unfortunately, I tried it twice and blew the tubes after about 2-4 hours...

?

Been using ECC823 for years in both my JVMs for live shows and at rehearsal without issue. I think something else must be going on with your amp.

JvZ

Reaction score
Better check your amp for issues first, before giving "advice" over these tubes.
These tubes can't be the issue. They'te not different tah stock, except they're a bit less hot on onse side..

btw... Did you mistake the more common ECC832 fot the ECC823.. perhaps.?
In that case you'll get too low output on BOTH channels.

Those aren't made for Marshall's, and are the exact mirror of the ECC823

spacerocker

Reaction score

Was it the ECC823 that actually blew?, or the power tubes? There's no way I can think of for a bad pre-amp valve to blow the PA valves....If it was the power valves, it must have been an unfortunate coincidence....

Reaction score
Nope. Definitely the 823 that blew both times. 5751 is doing just fine. Could be Tube Depot just got a batch of bad tubes. First one that blew rendered the OD yellow and red modes dead. 2nd one rendered the whole amp bad (in front of a thousand people). I went out and bought a Peavey Invective the day after that. 😁

spacerocker

Reaction score
Nope. Definitely the 823 that blew both times. 5751 is doing just fine. Could be Tube Depot just got a batch of bad tubes. First one that blew rendered the OD yellow and red modes dead. 2nd one rendered the whole amp bad (in front of a thousand people). I went out and bought a Peavey Invective the day after that. 😁

Wow! that's a bugger! I understand why you are vary of this valve!.....

Latest posts