JVM Crunch Channel

maximusgordon

Reaction score
Hi everyone--

Recently got my first modern Marshall -- the JVM410h along with a 1960 lead cab. I purchased it used off of Craigslist. Overall, a nice sounding amp. It's versatile and has some good tones.

One concern:

I've heard that the crunch channel is supposed to go from Plexi to Hot-Rodded JCM800 territory. Mine sounds okay, but I've noticed that the red mode on the clean channel actually has more gain when dimed out then the red mode on the crunch channel. It has a more aggressive character I would say, but it's gainier nonetheless.

Is there something wrong with this amp? Should I get it check out?

Chris.W

Reaction score
Could be a failing preamp tube as it definitely shouldn't have more gain. It will have a different voice however.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for something I don't remember what.
When I had one I found they all overlap, so red on channel 1 would have more gain than green on channel 2 etc., etc. One of the reasons I ditched mine was because there was so many options I could never decide which one I liked best. That and constantly scrolling through the same footswitch when I didn't mean to. :facepalm:

MoonKnighter

Reaction score
I know it is a very old Topic, but since the title seems to me to be explicitly dedicated to general discussions on this channel, I would like to ask a few simple questions (always in my neophyte mood).

The first and most logical question that comes to me regarding this Channel is the one relating to the three different modes (Green, Orange and Red).

The Green is reputed to be reproductive of the JTM 45/100 and / or the 1959SLP or 1987; basically the plexi sound.

Orange and Red seem to be respectively modulated around the JCM 800 mod. 2203 and 2203 boosted or in any case at the level of 2210.

Now: when I use the Fuzz Face (MJM London Fuzz II Sil.) For hendrixian pieces and sound experiences, in an attempt to reproduce (within the limits of my poor humble fingers) this I would still have to set the channel according to the concept of creating that crunch just like a JMP 45/100 on a 4x12 stack cabinet that then comes stacked by the force of the Fuzz ( obviously a very different crunch than what is meant with a JCM800 and later versions).

In finding this sound, however, I cannot find it with the Crunch-Green and only with the Crunch-Orange and a pushed channel volume (h. 15.00 PM) and a fairly low gain (h. 09.30-10.00 AM to be clear) find a situation that can then combine with the Fuzz Face (Level and Fuzz both at 15.00 P.M.).
I wonder if after all the Crunch-Orange cannot also be traced back to the Plexi rather than the JCM800 (the Crunch-Red is already an expression of a late 70s-80s sound).

Another question is the one related to the clean up of the sound when I turn down the volume of the Stratocaster.
Given that I use Stratocasters in such situations with neck pickups of about 06.50k and bridge of about 09.60k, since I made the modification of the wah wah (placed before the Fuzz Face) with buffering to prevent the wah wah from going into oscillation due to the known problems of impedance, I have the impression that the Guitar is cleaned with much more difficulty.
If before it was enough to lower the volume to 09 or a little less to see the sound clean up in that fantastic way we all know, now this clean up is hard to get with the guitar volume at no more than 05.
I wonder if this is a "cost" for buffering the Wah Wah or is it due to the gain structure of the JVM which in Crunch-Orange makes this clean-up more difficult: and therefore I wonder if setting everything on Crunch-Green could solve it.

... or other.

For now I stop and await your observations and considerations.
Thanks everyone in advance.

jimmyo

Reaction score
Hi everyone--

Recently got my first modern Marshall -- the JVM410h along with a 1960 lead cab. I purchased it used off of Craigslist. Overall, a nice sounding amp. It's versatile and has some good tones.

One concern:

I've heard that the crunch channel is supposed to go from Plexi to Hot-Rodded JCM800 territory. Mine sounds okay, but I've noticed that the red mode on the clean channel actually has more gain when dimed out then the red mode on the crunch channel. It has a more aggressive character I would say, but it's gainier nonetheless.

Is there something wrong with this amp? Should I get it check out?

‘Edit: Ahhhhh, just realized the thread is like 8 years old. Please disregard is this isn’t helpful.’

Without hearing it, not sure if anything is wrong per se.

Clean red uses an extra preamp stage so you’ll notice a volume bump and significant gain bump compared to the other clean modes (green and amber).

Compared to the crunch channel the position of the preamp controls on the clean channel is like a Fender eq vs all the other channels which are like a Marshall eq. So the voicing will be different and how eq controls influence the tone to greater/lesser extent. To me the clean red is kinda aggressive like a lead tone. If I remember right the clean red would have more preamp gain stage than the crunch channel. I think it uses the extra gain stage that OD1/OD2 amber and red modes use.

I’ve found the crunch mode to be a little less ballsy than a cranked JCM800 using green and amber modes, and has equivalent gain on red mode but the JVM has a warmer thicker tone in that mode. All great tones for classic rock and blues etc. I like the crunch tones but end up using OD1 green for my JCM800 style rock tones.

If you think something is up maybe just get it checked out for piece of mind. If it’s the preamp tubes then other channels likely affected also. I did have one channel (OD1) that significantly sounded neutered a few years back, which ended up being signal loss due to the pots for that channel needing a good cleaning by an amp tech. Best of luck, those are great amps. I use mine as my main live rig.

Latest posts