Just returned a GT-1000 CORE

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I ordered a GT-1000 CORE recently, and wound up returning it. The reason was because the jack on the side can supposedly be configured to switch your amp channels, which the GT-100 currently does with no problems. Well, it didn't quite work that way on the GT-1000. Their manual says to use a TRS cable. Well, it didn't specify if that meant TRS on BOTH ends, or TRS to TS, or what. Long story short, after two trips out to buy cables and adapters, I gave up. No matter what I plugged into it, it wouldn't switch the channels and it also had a very loud, obnoxious hum.

In the day or so that I had it, I could tell that it had some good sounds in it and lots of potential. But I also learned something else: using the software is pretty much required to dial it in unless you want to spend a ridiculous amount of time turning knobs and pushing buttons. At all times, each patch displayed every single block (24, I think), so it took a lot of scrolling back and forth. I can't speak for the full-fat GT-1000, but on the CORE version, those blocks are fairly tiny on the screen.

Even if it hadn't had the issue with the channel switching, I decided that it would be a lot of work to get it dialed in the way I wanted. I also noticed that if you look on the GC Used Gear website, there are always tons of the used CORE version for sale, and very little of the full-fat unit. That should have told me something.

Any of you have experience with this unit?

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Since I stopped gigging I pretty much never use pedals, but if I did, it wouldn't be anything like that. I used to have some sort of digitech multi pedal with a million menus and it got old quick. I'll stick to individual pedals if I need effects. Your post is a good heads up for others though.

As for judging a product by how many are on the used market, it's tricky. I looked last week and there were something like 52 used DSL 40 C/cR amps at MF and people rave about those. I don't like the cR (as I've stated a million times here) but the C model is pretty awesome for what I need. That said, I like my 100 H better because it has a little more low end punch.

Sorry that 1000 didn't work out, hopefully you can find something else that'll do what you want.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Since I stopped gigging I pretty much never use pedals, but if I did, it wouldn't be anything like that. I used to have some sort of digitech multi pedal with a million menus and it got old quick. I'll stick to individual pedals if I need effects. Your post is a good heads up for others though.

As for judging a product by how many are on the used market, it's tricky. I looked last week and there were something like 52 used DSL 40 C/cR amps at MF and people rave about those. I don't like the cR (as I've stated a million times here) but the C model is pretty awesome for what I need. That said, I like my 100 H better because it has a little more low end punch.

Sorry that 1000 didn't work out, hopefully you can find something else that'll do what you want.
For me, the GT-100 is the perfect mix of power and simplicity. It's based on the old Boss COSM technology, but that's fine because I very rarely ever use the amp models. I use it 99% for the effects. It's also still being made, by the way.

But here's the thing. I can hit the "Effect" button on the GT-100 and do pretty much anything I would need within a few seconds. The GT-1000 CORE? Forget it. I was having to either consult the manual or run to Google to do the most rudimentary things.

I've since added a cheap Zoom G1 Four into the chain, and it gives me some really sweet sounds with this rig.

Frodebro

Reaction score
I have the full-sized GT-1000, but I generally only use it in 4CM with some of my tube amps. I was interested in the BOSS 500 series pedals, but the GT1000 has most of those effects in it already (though missing a few parameters that are included in the individual pedals). So I bought it specifically for an effects-only application. The amp it is primarily used with is my Triple Crown 50, which has onboard MIDI control, so I don't use the switching jack.

However, the hum that you experienced is the result of a ground loop between the GT1000 and the amplifier. I've encountered this problem with mine, and also with my Helix.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I have the full-sized GT-1000, but I generally only use it in 4CM with some of my tube amps. I was interested in the BOSS 500 series pedals, but the GT1000 has most of those effects in it already (though missing a few parameters that are included in the individual pedals). So I bought it specifically for an effects-only application. The amp it is primarily used with is my Triple Crown 50, which has onboard MIDI control, so I don't use the switching jack.

However, the hum that you experienced is the result of a ground loop between the GT1000 and the amplifier. I've encountered this problem with mine, and also with my Helix.
How did you fix the problem? Or did you?

I tried everything I could think of. TRS to TRS, TRS to TS, switching the ground config around in the GT-1000, you name it.

It doesn't matter now since I already sent it back (and disliked it for other reasons), but I'm curious to know.

mark123

Reaction score
I used a Roland GP-100 as my main rig for many years. I've found that the downfall of the multi effect units is that you only ever use one or two of the patches anyway. All those patches and you could have done the same thing with a couple pedals. I kind of still want a GT-1000 though but I know what will happen.

Frodebro

Reaction score
How did you fix the problem? Or did you?

I tried everything I could think of. TRS to TRS, TRS to TS, switching the ground config around in the GT-1000, you name it.

It doesn't matter now since I already sent it back (and disliked it for other reasons), but I'm curious to know.

I wasn't able to fix the problem, though I imagine that a hum eliminator inline would probably work.

Sacalait

Reaction score
You're description of "diving into the menus" is what has kept me from modeling amps. I don't have time for that stuff. I did by a Boss Katana Artist recently though. It's got a "panel" feature that lets the knobs work like a standard amp. I dig that.

Frodebro

Reaction score
You're description of "diving into the menus" is what has kept me from modeling amps. I don't have time for that stuff. I did by a Boss Katana Artist recently though. It's got a "panel" feature that lets the knobs work like a standard amp. I dig that.

Menu diving was a pretty intense thing back in the day, but most modern units aren't nearly as scary as the naysayers claim that they are. In most units, all you have to do select the block you want to adjust and a screen pops up with the basic controls for that unit. Adjust what you want, then exit that screen and you're done.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I'm okay with "menu diving," but I want to be able to do it on the unit itself, not having to rely on software. This was the case with the CORE. Sure, it can all be done with the front panel, but it's much slower and more confusing that way.

Having said that, I do have an interest in the new GX-100. But if it has that same hum issue as the CORE, I'm out. But the most important thing is that it would NOT switch my amp channels, no matter what I did.

If they can make this work flawlessly on the GT-100, why can't they do the same on the newer, "better" ones?

PowerTube44

Reaction score

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Does the core have a ground lift switch? The GT1000 does to help eliminate any ground loops.
Yeah. It has that and I tried every position. The hum remained and still no channel switching.

This isn't an issue anymore since I returned the GT.

Latest posts