JTM45/100 build questions...

Notthedocter

Reaction score
Hi All..
I am starting a JTM4/100 build. It is my first build, and have a few questions(ok a ton of questions, but will limit it to 2 at this point)..
1. I am using Belton octal micalex sockets for the power tubes. They have 2 holes on the lugs. Can I use both holes when running the heater wiring. If so, is there any advantage/disadvantage of running the wires this way? I checked out the Metroamp 100w instructions, and it looks like that is what they are showing. I just wanted to be 100% before I got going. (I am kinda expecting the "thats what they are for" but I cant take it.

Also, the PT that was supposedly recommended was the Mercury Magnetics P100JM-MMF. I cant even find this on there site. It has dual primaries, I dont think I have seen this used on any other 45/100 builds, at least to limited knowledge. I was pretty much trusting the person I was buying it through. But I came across an article that with this type of PT I would need to use a full wave grounded center tap rectifier circuit, not the full wave bridge voltage doubler like on most Marshall 100w. I really have no idea what either is. But it sounded like it made no sense to use this for a 45/100 build..any thoughts?
The wiring for the transformers are
PRIMARY:
0V=Brown 120V=Brn/Wht 0V=Black 100V=Blk/Wht 120V=White
SECONDARIES:
350V=Red 0V=Red/Wht 350V=Red
Green/ Grn/Yel/ Green = 6.3V @ 6A Filament
Yellow/ Yellow= 5V @ 4A Rectifier
Any thoughts/help on the above are appreciated...
Thank you

SirArcsAlot

Reaction score
You can run them into both holes and it should be fine. I would consider having those to be a blessing, as it's a PITA to get solder to flow in the huge single holes. Obviously do a continuity check all the way down the line to make sure your connections are good! FWIW in my SLP build, I didn't even have my heater wires twisted together, and they're admittedly poorly dressed, but the amp isn't noisy at all.

Notthedocter

Reaction score
Cool! Thanks for the info...good idea on the continuity check...The wire I got for the in a bulk pack was blue and violet. Not my choice of colors for the heaters...so I bought some red/black 18 gauge...I really really wish I had stuck with 20 gauge..18 is a bitch to twist up and bend into place...lesson learned
I did find out the PT has a Universal Voltage Primary..so I can wire it up to 120V or 240V..that works for me ...

Notthedocter

Reaction score
Also...I did hear back from Mercury Magnetics..the PT has a Universal Voltage Primary that I can wire to 120V or 240V...problem solved...
thanks again