Jimi COULD NOT play the blues

don550

Reaction score
I remember the first time I saw one of the old dudes use my brother 8x10 with a 50 watt head.. old dude had been used to playing his twin reverb just straight in and this one night his twin took a nose dive and my brother said old dude could borrow his amp… so me and my brother load the amp in back of the van and show up at the club and old dude plugs in and the amp in on about 4 and he rings out a chord and then plays a couple of licks.. Old dude turns to my brother and says can you help me get one these but with a smaller cabinet that my boy can haul around for me.. Old dude was a instant Marshall Convert, his Tele sounded glorious… Old dude died about 5 years later and his boy Junior played his dads rig for years and every time I went back to Chicago I stopped by Junior’s House to say hi. Junior says his dad loved his amp.. I feel honored to have been part of a Marshall Miracle! When we watched old dude play some nights and he had his vibrato going on wiggling the strings I knew by the smile on his face he was 2 steps from heaven…

yladrd61

Reaction score
"Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel."

"See, that's nothing but blues, that's all I'm singing about. It's today's blues."

"The reflection of the world is blues, that's where that part of the music is at. Then you got this other kind of music that's tryin' to come around."

Jimi Hendrix

Tatzmann

Reaction score
"Hi, im Albert King, sorry, i mean Steavin Seagal.
Jimi can't play the fckn Blues!
And Chuck Berry, sorry i mean Chuck Norris
can't play the fckn Blues either!"

Hgtseagalkingv.jpg

I wonder what Mr. Albert King would have to say about that guy?

He owns his V's now.

Is he worthy of the King Blues?

Reaction score
Two of my favorite players! Albert King, my favorite blues player (along with Albert Collins), and Hendrix, the best rock player ever..

Here's a nice Albert King interview, where he talks about Hendrix a bit. Understandably, Jimi wasn't a blues player to Collins (they probably could tell the difference between Rock and Blues ;) ).

jeffb

Reaction score
I agree with Albert, Jimi didnt play the blues, he played rock that was blues based.
This.

Jimi was quite capable of getting his way through a tired old blues number (by this day and age), and sticking to "the formula", there are recordings out there- but it just wasn't him... Acid Blues, Rock Blues, Psychedelic Blues, whatever- that was Jimi. It's like trying to describe Rush or Van Halen- they are their own entity that defies pigeon-holing.

Same thing goes for Jimi's R&B/Motown playing- he was obviously capable of backing up those R&B acts and playing things as he was supposed to (because that's how get got started in the music business) , but when he's left to his own devices we get something like "wait until tomorrow"

In his old age Albert King was better able to articulate what he meant with these fiery "new guys". When he was playing with Gary Moore he described his style as a "Rock Blues"...as did Albert Collins.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Ridiculous title to a thread but......it sure got a lot of attention....including mine :)
well tom, had you paid attention, THATS THE TITLE OF THE VIDEO.
so what would you have named the thread since you find fault in
my title. however, if it got peoples attention including your own, my job
is done. :coffee:

taylodl

Reaction score
We can argue all day long since there's isn't a universal, agreed-upon definition for what is blues. At the end of the day it's just a label anyway. Albert King played great music. Jimi Hendrix played great music. I don't really much care about what you wanna call it!

tomsvintage

Reaction score
well tom, had you paid attention, THATS THE TITLE OF THE VIDEO.
so what would you have named the thread since you find fault in
my title. however, if it got peoples attention including your own, my job
is done. :coffee:
Take it easy dude :) Don't take it personally and there is no need for internet shouting will all caps :)

Please allow me to clarify ~ I should have said "Ridiculous title to the video".

We do disagree when it comes to thinking of great blues and bluesmen when you state :

i will say when i think of blues players and blues greats, Jimi does not come to mind.

When I think of great blues and bluesmen Jimi is up there with all those that came before him !!!! So....we can agree to disagree in a civil manner :)

Music is the international language of peace and love ✌️✌️

I did pay attention and am enjoying all of the comments and information. Especially the Albert King interviews and comments that dig a little deeper into the topic :)

During his 9/23/1970 Fillmore East "Blues Power" performance ~ Albert defined the blues as a feeling and IMHO Jimi lived the blues and Red House and Bleeding Heart are pure feeling.

Last edited:

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Take it easy dude :) Don't take it personally and there is no need for internet shouting will all caps :)

Please allow me to clarify ~ I should have said "Ridiculous title to the video".

I did pay attention and am enjoying all of the comments and information. Especially the Albert King interviews and comments that dig a little deeper into the topic :)

During his 9/23/1970 Fillmore East "Blues Power" performance ~ Albert defined the blues as a feeling and IMHO Jimi lived the blues and Red House and Bleeding Heart are pure feeling.
its all good tom no offense taken brother.
thats where a lot of the ture blues guys had issues with jimi.
jimi didnt live the life like the traditional blues person did.
he didnt have to go through what they did to get heard. its
in a lot of book, interviews, and told stories.
jimi took things to a whole new level and they didnt care for
it to much even though they liked him as a person very much.

i think they had a problem with jimi's blues/rock approach
with their music. fact is it was bound to happen anyways.
probably the only thing that kept the blues alive and going.
like i stated before i dont think of jimi when i think of real blues men.
i do consider him one of the best blues/rock players we have experienced.

jimi helped open a door that might have been slammed shut on other guys sooner or later.
clapton was doing a good job at the time of pushing that door open as well.
jimi inspired a lot of people to play and even more so to actually listen to traditional
blues music. he did help blues rock take a giant leap forward in any case
but not single handedly.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
from my viewpoint, which may be limited, somewhat...

The Brit's were heavily invading the USA w/ their copious licks/riffs that they stole from the Mississippi bluesmen. Jimi, while here, in the States was a grunt. He played as a back up hired hand for guys who were doing more of the pop flavoured R&B, like Curtis Blow & Little Richard... the Isleys?

The Brit's were happening. The Beatles started off, by stealing Chuck Berry tunes & other covers. Guys like Clapton, etc.... It took Jimi to move to the UK, for him to become a smash hit, in the US. He had to invade the US, by way of the Brit's...

Compare Jimi to the rest of the guys in the British invasion & he's definitely, the more real deal. That's probably what blew away the Brit's, when he invaded the UK...

Regardless the genre, there's always going to be the guys that think that they are the purists, or, that their interpretation of the genre is the best. Sometimes, that's what drives them (ego). Sometimes it's just that they are intimidated by so-&-so, so they'll put them down. They identify w/ those, that they feel safe w/. If they feel threatened by someone, or think that they'll be overshadowed by someone, they'll dismiss them as a true artist, on their level.

Sometimes it's just a front, & behind it all, they're all bud's, but talk smack out in public... :shrug:

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
from my viewpoint, which may be limited, somewhat...

The Brit's were heavily invading the USA w/ their copious licks/riffs that they stole from the Mississippi bluesmen. Jimi, while here, in the States was a grunt. He played as a back up hired hand for guys who were doing more of the pop flavoured R&B, like Curtis Blow & Little Richard... the Isleys?

The Brit's were happening. The Beatles started off, by stealing Chuck Berry tunes & other covers. Guys like Clapton, etc.... It took Jimi to move to the UK, for him to become a smash hit, in the US. He had to invade the US, by way of the Brit's...

Compare Jimi to the rest of the guys in the British invasion & he's definitely, the more real deal. That's probably what blew away the Brit's, when he invaded the UK...

Regardless the genre, there's always going to be the guys that think that they are the purists, or, that their interpretation of the genre is the best. Sometimes, that's what drives them (ego). Sometimes it's just that they are intimidated by so-&-so, so they'll put them down. They identify w/ those, that they feel safe w/. If they feel threatened by someone, or think that they'll be overshadowed by someone, they'll dismiss them as a true artist, on their level.

Sometimes it's just a front, & behind it all, they're all bud's, but talk smack out in public... :shrug:
just started a new thread. will be very interesting to hear who you come up with doom
your a thinking man for sure. the question at hand requires a good bit of thinking.

Reaction score
Hendrix was an active soul, R&B, and blues guitarist way before he discovered his voice and calling. He played and toured with the likes of Wilson Pickett, Sam Cooke, Tina Turner, Little Richard, the Isley Brothers and so on.. After years of playing the R&B circuit, it was Keith Richards references that gave Hendrix a chance as a solo artist, and eventually led to the forming of the Jimi Hendrix Experience band and first album.