Jimi COULD NOT play the blues

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I disagree but he's entitled to his opinion.
hey i dont make the news i just report it.
i think Albert might not have liked the heavier
direction Jimi was taking the blues.
oldschool vs new school type thing. i think we
saw this with heavy metal from the rock guys
at one point too.

i think jimi was more blues/rock rather than traditional blues.

Deftone

Reaction score
at one point too.

I disagree with AK, not you.

I love Jimmi's blues stuff, even more than his early work. AK was referring to Jimi's rock music from the beginning of his career. "Red House" was a great response by the interviewer. One of my persoanl favorites and IMHO better than anything AK has ever put out. YMMV.

Seems that Jimi wanted to play more blues and his manager didn't want that...some speculate that might have led to his demise.

SmokestackElRopo

Reaction score
Big Albert king fan here, He has his opinion. Jimi could do whatever he wanted with a guitar. Albert had no apparent beef with SRV who is very close in skill and musical styles to Jimi.

RCM 800

Reaction score
I wouldnt even know what blues were if guys like him, Clapton, Page, and Peter Green hadnt carried the torch. Those guys owe a lot of their success to the blues rockers and vice verse. Jimi had a couple blues songs that I consider as real as anything the Kings or Muddy Waters or the Wolf did but thank god he went beyond it.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
warning, if you go back to the 1st song NSFW! this track features a drunken Jim Morrison laying on the floor squeaking on his harmonica, while Jimi blueses out...

on the 1st track, Morrison sings screams out obscenities galore...

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
at one point too.

Like me with rock/metal after around 1990...or any music in general for the most part. Lol

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Big Albert king fan here, He has his opinion. Jimi could do whatever he wanted with a guitar. Albert had no apparent beef with SRV who is very close in skill and musical styles to Jimi.
That's because Albert didn't like black people.

Seriously though, it was probably because SRV was sort of an Albert clone.

Dan myers

Reaction score
Jimmy’s antics ruffled a lot of feathers at the time.It’s a big world Albert plenty of room for more Jimmy’s.Building up another person rather than tearing them down shows strength Albert fell into weakness there imo.

don550

Reaction score
I grew up on the southside of Chicago and I was fortunate enough to know personally some great guitarists who were from the Deep South aka Chitlin Circuit and had migrated to Chicago and one is relative of mine. These guys were much much older than me but as a kid I remember them jamming with my relatives and watching them up close playing some deep rooted blues in all kinds of tunings on beat to sh*t guitars. Everyone in my family played a instrument and I remember in the late 60‘s /early 70 when my older brother was playing guitar in bars with these older dudes and he would come home late at night with White Castle burgers and my dad being a drummer b
would bearguing about who was bad assed on guitar and what tavern they were playing in next.. My brother came home one day with a Hendrx album and it was the first time I heard Hey Joe and my brother learned it and sang it at a family party and you would have thought from the old dudes that he had commited a crime because that Hendrix boy with his flowery get up wasn’t a bluesman and another relative who was totally into all type of music knew who Hendrix was telling the old dudes that tavern music was pretty much dead and he and my brother joined up with some guys from the suburbs and formed a band that go pretty popular in the area playing Hendrix and other late 60’s/70’s rock and I was allowed to go to their gigs because I could help carry equipment.. Well a very few well known Chicago Blues guitar players who had tutored in bands of the the old dudes started sitting in and playing not only the songs off their tutors but Rock songs too and I remember watching my brother and friends play Red House and I can testify that a very very well known Blues Guitarist who was one of the old dudes said to my Brother and Friends “Damn boys y’all sho nuff played the sh*t of them blues”

Which brings me to the point of saying one man blues is another mans rock…

yes Hendrix , Clapton and others can play the blues and rightfully call themselves bluemen…

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
i can see where a few of the old cats would have been pissed at jimi
for at that time bastardizing blues guitar playing. a lot of pain and suffering
went into making that music the style it was at that time and here came
this guy changing it up to something it never was meant to be in their eyes.
i get it totally.

RCM 800

Reaction score
i can see where a few of the old cats would have been pissed at jimi
for at that time bastardizing blues guitar playing. a lot of pain and suffering
went into making that music the style it was at that time and here came
this guy changing it up to something it never was meant to be in their eyes.
i get it totally.
yea Im sure there were guys that said blues can only be played on a flat top and all these youngns with their fancy electric doodads aint playin real blues.

Latest posts