JCM900 SL-X & MKlll

80sTone

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! Very informative. I never liked the Mk III just as a personal thing but great to know understand more on what went into that sound. I never tried the SL-X. Very interesting clip

EADGBE

Reaction score
That MK III really sounds good. I'm impressed. It's tight sounding. I don't know why it didn't catch on. Marshall through the years have come out with some really good circuits. Is this also known as the 2501? Clipping diodes don't bother me as long as the amp sounds good.

Last edited:

jeffb

Reaction score
As soon as he said the Duncan Alt 8 pickup in his guitar was a scooped sounding bright pickup, I knew this was going to be a an eye roller. The Alt 8 is super thick with midrange and warm (but clear) on the top end- that's what Alnico 8 mags are all about.

So I went and listened to his demo of the Vintage Modern to give him the benefit of the doubt. He dials in his amps like a frustrated bass player- his tones will never cut in a mix- it's dark, mud in the midrange, and super bassy.

jeffb

Reaction score
I actually appreciate the initial discussion on how the MKIII differs from the SLX (as I've never messed with an SLX and know little about it). He does indicate it's an "in depth" review-so I can cut him slack there. I just think his ears are whack. The clips don't sound horrible through a phone/laptop speaker, but once I donned my studio cans- yikes. These amps (both 900s and the VM) are not really getting a fair shake because of that.

Based on these clips the SLX and the VM sound like garbage, and the MKIII is only slightly better... and I know from personal experience that is not the case when it comes to the MKIII and VM

Moony

Reaction score
I wonder why he doesn't play Kiesel guitars.
I mean the name of the channel is "Totally RAD Guitars". :D

Deftone

Reaction score
I like this guy. He does talk too much but he reminds me of the "Revenge of the Nerds" guy:

iu

Rudy v

Reaction score
A stock slx has way more gain his with sensitivity on 20 and his preamp volume on 10 sounds like my silver jubilee 2555x, his mk III has a strange hum its dreadful, nobody hearing it

jeffb

Reaction score
A stock slx has way more gain his with sensitivity on 20 and his preamp volume on 10 sounds like my silver jubilee 2555x, his mk III has a strange hum its dreadful, nobody hearing it
I can't hear anything over the muddy mids and bass.

Latest posts