JCM 800 attenuator mismatch. HELP. Toneking Ironman II

Mrmaxelcat

Reaction score
I was at rehearsal last night playing through my 800 2204 into a Toneking Ironman II attenuator into a 1936 cab. The cab is 8ohms so I set the amp to 8 ohms and cranked the amp to 5 MV.
The problem is I completely forgot to set the impedance on the attenuator to allow for the change in impedance. The attenuator input for amp in was on 16 ohms and the attenuator speaker output was set to 16 ohms. So basically the chain was JCM 800 8 ohms into Attenuator 16 ohms into 1936 cab set to 8 ohms. While playing everything seemed fine, in fact it sounded fantastic and nothing untoward happened. Then this morning I realised what I’d done and panicked. Hopefully I haven’t done any damage.

Anybody here have any experience/advice about this would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks guys

PS. Anyone considering an attenuator to use with your Marshall I can highly recommend the Toneking Ironman II, it’s the best attenuator I’ve tried and really keeps your tone intact.

faerdi

Reaction score
You should not worry too much. Your amp should be able to handle this.

V-man

Reaction score
Whatever damage done is done. Your fuses/tubes withstood the blow.

I got a discount on my 2203 JMP bc the owner fucked up and set the head to the wrong impedance and I blew a fuse/tube testing. All you really do is not fuck up again, if possible