It's coming!

Wolvieberzerker

Reaction score
Haha. No. Don’t cancel the order. It’s still a killer amp. That’s just how those features work. Running it clean to edge of break up, around AC/DC levels of drive, that’s when all those features come into play. Almost like a single input 4 holer. Plus the pussy trimmer and deep knobs. It hangs with my Ceriatone 2204 and 1987 all day.

ampeq

Reaction score
The 2202 is loud. Stupid loud. The ppimv only works on lower gain settings. Clean to edge of break up tones. Same with the 3 way bright switch.
Yes, some of the bright switch stuff is designed to work "more" at lower volumes in order to get certain sounds without pushing the amp. My Chupa does this as well. You can change the tone without pushing the amp real loud. As you start pushing the amp's drive stages you will notice the "bright switch's" do less as you increase them until they are out of the circuit. They work very well once you learn how to run them, at first they are a little confusing.

ampeq

Reaction score
Cancel the order , get a Friedman runt 50 or 20 if you don’t need the volume ( particularly clean) , no need to battle a nvm amp to get the sound you’re looking for . You definitely won’t have to wait weeks to get it either .
Na, I'll stick with the 2202, it should do just what I want. Friedman makes some good stuff but way over priced to me. The Runt is his entry level stuff, I think they are all circuit board units as well. I like his BE 100 deluxe but at $3800....wow! I could buy a top of the line amp from Nik with all the same features along with a 2-12" cab and still have enough left over for a new guitar. The 2202 is just a toy for me, something I can play around with and use for a quick grab amp. I may try one of those light weight speakers in it to see how they work and to make this a very light amp over all. My next amp will be my do it all amp, this one will be a 2 ch 100w amp with a Chupa on one side and a ? on the other. It may even be a 2-12" combo.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I just checked the 2202 out on the ceriatone website and realised it’s a lower wattage 2204 800 type amp and has a master volume . Should be a good amp for home use after all , i originally thought it was more of a mini 1987 .

Wolvieberzerker

Reaction score
Yes, some of the bright switch stuff is designed to work "more" at lower volumes in order to get certain sounds without pushing the amp. My Chupa does this as well. You can change the tone without pushing the amp real loud. As you start pushing the amp's drive stages you will notice the "bright switch's" do less as you increase them until they are out of the circuit. They work very well once you learn how to run them, at first they are a little confusing.
Chupacabra is my next amp. But the holidays, COVID, messing with shipping times. I’ll wait it out.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Na, I'll stick with the 2202, it should do just what I want. Friedman makes some good stuff but way over priced to me. The Runt is his entry level stuff, I think they are all circuit board units as well. I like his BE 100 deluxe but at $3800....wow! I could buy a top of the line amp from Nik with all the same features along with a 2-12" cab and still have enough left over for a new guitar. The 2202 is just a toy for me, something I can play around with and use for a quick grab amp. I may try one of those light weight speakers in it to see how they work and to make this a very light amp over all. My next amp will be my do it all amp, this one will be a 2 ch 100w amp with a Chupa on one side and a ? on the other. It may even be a 2-12" combo.
The runts are pcb and cost less to manufacture than hand wired for sure . I have full confidence in the build quality of anything Friedman , killer amps in every respect , his guitars , speakers and pedals are mighty fine by all accounts as well .

jchrisf

Reaction score
I think that rather than build a kit which I really don't have time for.. I'm going to buy a 2202 and study the circuit, get to know it and then use it as a modding platform to make a hot rod JCM. I might find that pedals give me all the hot rodding I need.

Either that or just buy the Molecular :)

I think the simplicity of the 2202 would be better and help me know the true JCM sound as I've never played one before. But I'm also still wondering if the 2204 would be better since it is the true circuit?

Either way, I get a great, hand wired amp for less than a kit of parts.

ampeq

Reaction score
I think that rather than build a kit which I really don't have time for.. I'm going to buy a 2202 and study the circuit, get to know it and then use it as a modding platform to make a hot rod JCM. I might find that pedals give me all the hot rodding I need.

Either that or just buy the Molecular :)

I think the simplicity of the 2202 would be better and help me know the true JCM sound as I've never played one before. But I'm also still wondering if the 2204 would be better since it is the true circuit?

Either way, I get a great, hand wired amp for less than a kit of parts.
I think you'll find you get a lot more with the 2202 because of all the mod's it has. The SOY and 20w Chupa they make are also versatile, in fact a 2202 & 20w Chupa mounted in the same cab would be an incredible amp. I absolutely love my 50w Chupa and my new custom amp will have a complete 100w Chupa side along with another amp for ch 2 in the same box. I would love to see an All Access 101 if it can be done.

ampeq

Reaction score
Chupacabra is my next amp. But the holidays, COVID, messing with shipping times. I’ll wait it out.
I say just order it, I love when all of a sudden the UPS guy has a box you forgot all about. BOOM! New Amp Day!! mmm.. how sweet it is.

ampeq

Reaction score
The runts are pcb and cost less to manufacture than hand wired for sure . I have full confidence in the build quality of anything Friedman , killer amps in every respect , his guitars , speakers and pedals are mighty fine by all accounts as well .
Oh yes, they make good stuff. I would like to try a BE 100 Dlx but can't justify the cost after playing my Chupa.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Oh yes, they make good stuff. I would like to try a BE 100 Dlx but can't justify the cost after playing my Chupa.
Definitely too much great gear around and not enough time or money , lol .

Latest posts