Is this a good deal on a Lead 12 mini stack?

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think $1,000 is a crazy high price for a mini stack.
The Lead12 was the original and may have some collectability factor in its value.
I've had a Lead15 and an MG15HCFX mini stack.
Got them both for $300, and sold them both in the $500 range.

jchrisf

Reaction score
Yeah me too... lot's of crack smokers when it comes to selling gear these days... you should see my local Craigslist. HIgh priced garbage.

I have a JCM1 clone that didn't come with a cabinet. The guy said he designed it to fit in the old Lead 12 head cab. It would be cheaper for me to just get a company to custom build a head cab than pay for one of these. And mine probably sounds way better than the lead 12. I'm not sure about the speakers and cabs though.. are they any good?

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the speakers and cabs though.. are they any good?
Stock speakers in the ones I had were dull and lifeless.
I upgraded both when I was using them - put the stock speakers back in when I sold them.
I see cab only listings on Reverb now and then that might be cheaper than custom builds.
Toss the stock speakers and get some G10M-30 GB's. :yesway:

Deftone

Reaction score
Yeah me too... lot's of crack smokers when it comes to selling gear these days... you should see my local Craigslist. HIgh priced garbage.

I have a JCM1 clone that didn't come with a cabinet. The guy said he designed it to fit in the old Lead 12 head cab. It would be cheaper for me to just get a company to custom build a head cab than pay for one of these. And mine probably sounds way better than the lead 12. I'm not sure about the speakers and cabs though.. are they any good?
IMHO the cabs kind of suck when you compare them to a decent cab. Not bad tho...

I sent my Lead 12 to an amp builder and had him build a 5w tube amp inside the chassis. I thought the Lead 12 sounded good but the tube amp sounds way better to my ears.

Deftone

Reaction score
I wouldn't pay that much and I prefer Marshall's in black tolex. But it might be just the ticket for a collector so...?

When I sell I always aim high with the price because you usually get nothing but low ball offers so maybe that's where he going with it.

PaulHikeS2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a collector price. Personally, I don't like the red. Black, or maybe white. In today's market, $400-$600 is what I would pay depending on condition and how much I wanted it. I paid $300 or so 18 months ago for the early 2000s mini stack that is not nearly as nice as the Lead 12, but the condition was excellent. Only wanted the cabs. Just traded in the head only for $175, so ended up with the 2 cabs for $125 total.

steveb63

Reaction score
My buddy in Phoenix picked up the head for $150 and a single cab for another $150 at a pawn shop just a few weeks ago.
Edited: they are in fair to good condition.....
Maybe the "plexi" style would be worth more?

But to me.... most definitely high on the asking price.

EADGBE

Reaction score
I only paid $ 298.00 for mine when it was brand new in 1986.

SteelLucky

Reaction score
A Lead 12 was my first brand new Marshall. Even at nostalgia pricing it’s way overpriced to me.

junk notes

Reaction score
Stock speakers in the ones I had were dull and lifeless.
FYI Depending on the model year, the speaker that sounded best in the 2005 was the G10L-35, same speakers as found in the favored 1965A/B 4x10.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI Depending on the model year, the speaker that sounded best in the 2005 was the G10L-35, same speakers as found in the favored 1965A/B 4x10.
I think the original Lead12 may have had those G10L-35's, so that amp on the OP could have some decent speakers.
Not worth a grand, but I wish mine would have had those.
Instead, I had these:
Lead15.jpg mg15.jpg