Is anybody actually buying speaker cabs new?

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
they were both stolen from a church I was playing for...

One was purely the fault of a wedding coordinator, who had her wedding stuff in the equipment vault. When she was unloading her wedding stuff, she pulled the amp out & left it sitting out in the hallway.

Most likely someone from the wedding kiped it...

The wedding was an all day Saturday thing. When I showed up to play on Sunday, there was nothing to play on...

The church's insurance covered it, so, it wasn't like I lost out, but, it did give me a lot of inconvenience & I can't stand thieves. Insurance or not, they are bad for society & make the cost of everything go up for everybody else - including insurance...
Yes sir. Up here in NH your amp would still be there!

FogDweller

Reaction score
It's always been impossible to find used 4x12 cabs in my area.

I always made my own like fitz does... aside from tolex. I just used spray paint or spray on bed liner lol.
Me too. I seldom see used cabs for sale in the area I live. I just spent about a grand (which included shipping) on a ‘81 or ‘82 Marshall 1960B with G12-65s from Reverb. Still cheaper than a new cab.

V-man

Reaction score
I think the kids starting out tend to do this. I bought a 1960A in 1993 for my 4100, and a Avatar 412 (site demo discount model) in ’09-’10 on par with what a used 412 cost. Every other cab I have ever owned (2 MF-400, a ‘78 1982A [?] and a 1936) were all used.

TBH, I was trying like hell to get the ONE white1960 RR cab in stock a few years later from an out of state shop, just because of the special amp, but was jerked around forever and gave up. The blessing was I got a cheap and beat to shit MF 400 cab and got a kid to retolex in white with new fret cloth for hundreds less. So, Tall vintage cab with 100W speakers in the style of RR in white… OR a 1960 cab with GTs (a speaker not used by him or anybody trying to get a good plexi sound) for hundreds more.

Marcomel79

Reaction score
As much as i

sure but it won't be a Marshall and 99% ofDIY look DIY. I've done it before and like to build stuff but the time and energy wasn't worth it to me and if I need something custom I just pay a professional builder to do it.

Everthing is inflated right now and if someone wants new that's what we pay. Before the pandemic Marshall 4x12 was 1400 maybe 1200 and in the USA we pay more because it's imported from th.e UK.
If youve seen @fitz288 cabs, them you can see that they look factory made. I made this myself, and although the measurements and angle radius are different from a Marshall, i think it could be a factory piece if i may say so myself. You may think otherwise 32E08F39-1032-42D1-9A31-DAE022FD72DB.jpeg C8AE5474-5B45-47BC-8900-D2411C2A5165.jpeg 643F1E59-44A7-4434-B23A-2B98C94DA4D7.jpeg

The MDF i used were scraps from a friend of mine. After tolex, glue and piping, it cost me a whooping 40€ to make

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
I’m actually considering selling both of my 2466s. I kind of really want a 2203 or 1992.

If youve seen @fitz288 cabs, them you can see that they look factory made. I made this myself, and although the measurements and angle radius are different from a Marshall, i think it could be a factory piece if i may say so myself. You may think orherwise View attachment 110375 View attachment 110376 View attachment 110377

The MDF i used were scraps from a friend of mine. After tolex, glue and piping, it cost me a whooping 40€ to make
The presentation is great… it just needs the right radius (tools/jig) and I agree. For a one-off 1st time experiment, IDT you could expect better results than that.

Marcomel79

Reaction score
The presentation is great… it just needs the right radius (tools/jig) and I agree. For a one-off 1st time experiment, IDT you could expect better results than that.
Yeah i didnt have the right router bit to do that. It looks more like a prototype. But it is definitely possible to make DIY cabs look factory made. Shout out to Uncle Doug for that. His videos on how to make a speaker cab and cover it with tolex or leatherette are a treasure. It just takes some research and lots of patience. Check out of all of @fitz288 projects and tell me they dont look legit. Also, having the choice of buying a Marshall head or building amp and headshell, id go with the latter. Its too much fun building one. And cheaper!

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't remember buying a new cab...

Ok, yes I can... Back in around 2003, when I bought my TSL100 ½ stack. I had a TSL122 combo & it got stolen, so I bought the ½ stack new, only for that to get stolen in less than a year...

Other than that, I don't think I've ever bought a new one.
IDK. I don't often give advice, but if were to offer you advice (and I'm not saying I am, I just mean like if was to), I would perhaps gently suggest not getting your stuff stolen, as it were.

But again, not giving advice, just sayin'.

:naughty: :D

Last edited:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
The irony.

Gear stolen from a church.

View attachment 110402

Not only free, ..........but it also sounds great !
only if you condone thievery, which doesn't bode too well for your character...

If I ever catch a thief, stealing something, I'll break both his hands, then he'll remember for life that crime doesn't pay...

marco_giampa23

Reaction score
I ended up buying a secondhand JOYO cab with chinese v30s in it because its made of ply and not MDF like the MX marshall cabs

I also noticed that your marshall prices in the US are crazy high.
For example most marshall products are "the same price" in either region but one is in USD and the other in AUD

for example an amp that is $1000USD in the US, costs $1000AUD here - equivalent to $700USD

saxon68

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even used one's are getting expensive.

I bought my JCM900 4500 Full Stack for $1100. Cabs are 1960 A/B Vintage, (Vintage 30's).

The tolex on both cabs are rough, some guy was laughing at me on another forum. But no matter how I slice it, that's a great deal.
I guess he was one of those jackasses that listen with his eyes instead of his ears eh?

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
Right! $1600 for a new cabinet does seem high. The last time I bought any new 4x12’s was in the 80’s and they were only $500. These days I don’t have a vehicle big enough to even take my half-stack out of the house.

Latest posts