Is anybody actually buying speaker cabs new?

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Just picked up a pr of matching 1960 4x12 cabs last week off CL for $740 total and I just looked at what they are selling for new—no one is actually paying $1600 for one of these, are they?
Man, that's a great deal. A beat-to-hell 1960 on GC's Used Gear is starting at $700.00 minimum these days.

I bought my 1960A used for $399.99 back in 2014, and it's still in like-new condition. I couldn't touch it now for under a grand. I will say, though, that I wish I had gone with a 1960B straight cab.

Deftone

Reaction score
It's always been impossible to find used 4x12 cabs in my area.

I always made my own like fitz does... aside from tolex. I just used spray paint or spray on bed liner lol.
My Avatar 2x12 refinished in Duratex. Roll on. It was covered in grey carpet originally. Some cab makers even offer Duratex as an option.

IMG_2687.JPG

FWIW: Sourmash Marshall Vintage style 4x12 is only $465. Lots of options. He might even do no tolex for a discount, if you want to apply Duratex.

https://sourmashguitarcabs.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=37&product_id=60

Heiko Jakob

Reaction score
$1600 is just plain insane.
Why I make my own.
For that kind of ching, you could buy ALL the tools you need, and materials, and speakers, and still have money left over...
You can try to find a dealer in Europe that still ships Marshall to the US. In Europe a handwired 1960BHW is ~$800 + $100 for shipping to the US.

Vinsanitizer

Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a pr of matching 1960 4x12 cabs last week off CL for $740 total and I just looked at what they are selling for new—no one is actually paying $1600 for one of these, are they?
Likewise, I recently bought a used 1960A in top condition. The price was $550,yet I got it for about $300, 'cause I think they just wanted rid of it. Because of that, I'm curious whether big 4x12 speaker cabs really sell much these days. Seems to me, many players have been gigging with smaller speaker cabs and combo amps anymore, unless it's a Metal band, in which case there's a lot of faking going on. This notion would be supported by the "lunchbox" amp trend over the last 5 years. Seems like just about every manufacturer is producing some kind of "mini head" now, and that means smaller cabs, usually.

Being real, I seriously question who the heck would be paying around $2,000 USD for a Marshall 4x12 speaker cab in 2022. That's just financial suicide! $1,600 for a new 1960A that I just bought used for well under $500? Waste of money buying new. My attraction to one now, is because there's nothing that sounds as cool as standing in front of a roaring, thundering, Marshall 4x12. It's not just a sound, it's a bodily experience.

Last edited:

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Likewise, I recently bought a used 1960A in top condition. The price was $550,yet I got it for about $300, 'cause I think they just wanted rid of it. Because of that, I'm curious whether big 4x12 speaker cabs really sell much these days. Seems to me, many players have been gigging with smaller speaker cabs and combo amps anymore, unless it's a Metal band, in which case there's a lot of faking going on. This notion would be supported by the "lunchbox" amp trend over the last 5 years. Seems like just about every manufacturer is producing some kind of "mini head" now, and that means smaller cabs, usually.

Being real, I seriously question who the heck would be paying around $2,000 USD for a Marshall 4x12 speaker cab in 2022. That's just financial suicide! $1,600 for a new 1960A that I just bought used for well under $500? Waste of money buying new. My attraction to one now, is because there's nothing that sounds as cool as standing in front of a roaring, thundering, Marshall 4x12. It's not just a sound, it's a bodily experience.
Nothing makes a lunchbox amp sound better than a good 4x12 does!

stickyfinger

Reaction score
Wood, tolex, grill cloth, hardware ~ $175 + speakers of choice.
As much as i
Wood, tolex, grill cloth, hardware ~ $175 + speakers of choice.
sure but it won't be a Marshall and 99% ofDIY look DIY. I've done it before and like to build stuff but the time and energy wasn't worth it to me and if I need something custom I just pay a professional builder to do it.

Everthing is inflated right now and if someone wants new that's what we pay. Before the pandemic Marshall 4x12 was 1400 maybe 1200 and in the USA we pay more because it's imported from th.e UK.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I can't remember buying a new cab...

Ok, yes I can... Back in around 2003, when I bought my TSL100 ½ stack. I had a TSL122 combo & it got stolen, so I bought the ½ stack new, only for that to get stolen in less than a year...

Other than that, I don't think I've ever bought a new one.

Tiboy

Reaction score
I have 4 cabs. Three were purchased new as I could not find what I wanted used at the time. Story of my life-buy high sell low. Except I don’t sell.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
sure but it won't be a Marshall and 99% ofDIY look DIY. I've done it before and like to build stuff but the time and energy wasn't worth it to me and if I need something custom I just pay a professional builder to do it.
I'd debate Marshall build quality vs. mine...
As far as time and energy goes, I do it as a hobby because it I enjoy the process.
The result of my hobby has been some [email protected]$$ custom cabs, custom tolex / grill cloth upgrades, and head shell combo conversions.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't remember buying a new cab...

Ok, yes I can... Back in around 2003, when I bought my TSL100 ½ stack. I had a TSL122 combo & it got stolen, so I bought the ½ stack new, only for that to get stolen in less than a year...

Other than that, I don't think I've ever bought a new one.
We gotta get you out of CA brother

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
We gotta get you out of CA brother
they were both stolen from a church I was playing for...

One was purely the fault of a wedding coordinator, who had her wedding stuff in the equipment vault. When she was unloading her wedding stuff, she pulled the amp out & left it sitting out in the hallway.

Most likely someone from the wedding kiped it...

The wedding was an all day Saturday thing. When I showed up to play on Sunday, there was nothing to play on...

The church's insurance covered it, so, it wasn't like I lost out, but, it did give me a lot of inconvenience & I can't stand thieves. Insurance or not, they are bad for society & make the cost of everything go up for everybody else - including insurance...

Latest posts