Ibanez S420 new top

Deftone

Reaction score
I have always really liked the look of the S series Ibanez guitars in natural oil finish. I already knew they were great players.

The natural finish guitars are more expensive, so I found this S420 years ago for only $235 on Ebay with the intention of sanding the top down.. Problem was after I got it played so well, I didn't want to mess with it. But I recently saw one someone else had sanded down and it pushed me over the edge.....

IMG_2781a.JPG IMG_2780a.JPG

3-4 coats of Tru Oil on the top and that's it. I am super pleased with the results.

Here's a before shot....
IMG_2050a.JPG

Deftone

Reaction score
Yes, much better.

Nice job!

That thing is beautiful.

Tru Oil finish looks really good on gunstocks also!
I've already done a couple guitars with a very small bottle. When I went to go use it on this one, It had turned to a very thick syrup. So I drove to three different gun stores trying to find some, but apparently it's no longer legal in California. WTF? :pissed:

So I pulled the old bottle out of the garbage and thinned out what was left with some Naptha....worked great!

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
I have always really liked the look of the S series Ibanez guitars in natural oil finish. I already knew they were great players.

The natural finish guitars are more expensive, so I found this S420 years ago for only $235 on Ebay with the intention of sanding the top down.. Problem was after I got it played so well, I didn't want to mess with it. But I recently saw one someone else had sanded down and it pushed me over the edge.....

View attachment 110113 View attachment 110114

3-4 coats of Tru Oil on the top and that's it. I am super pleased with the results.

Here's a before shot....
View attachment 110115
Makes you wonder why Ibanez painted it in the first place.

pedecamp

Reaction score

View attachment 110113 View attachment 110114

Here's a before shot....
View attachment 110115
That looks awesome! :yesway:

Prostheta

Reaction score
You got super lucky there. Solid colour bodies tend to be hiding all manner of wrongs such as filler, weird join locations and wood choices that don't match. Mostly because those are perfectly fine, and a good way to use wood that is less than ideal or fix seconds that couldn't support a clear or other raw finish. I've wanted to build a new S body myself to compliment my 2001 S1540FM, specifically one without the single coil, a hardtail instead of a trem and an iced tea burst with that marginal green-bronzing that a vintage LP develops. That would be perfect. I might have to use an actual S body, infill the single coil rout and vacuum bag a veneer over the top.

Jamil Ecrire

Reaction score
Gorgeous, I wish Ibanez had friggin licensed that tremolo. It's by far my favorite they've ever put out (even with the issues they had with their manufacturer).

I would have probably added binding and a QM/FM veneer but it looks fantastic!

Latest posts