I own DSL20 and 40cr. Should I sell the 20 for an Orange Tiny Terror? ($400)

phase27

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I've owned the 20CR for about 2 years. Bought used for $375 in 2020. I recently saw a 40CR on Market Place for a steal, so I grabbed it ($450), and planned on selling the 20. I like the 40 better, does all the 20 does and more. However, before selling it I realized I could use that combo as a 2nd speaker for the 40CR. Now I run the 40 into both speakers, and am spoiled by having 2x12 (I used to play through a 4x12 for a long time prior to this, and have been frustrated by 1x12 combos... 2x12 feels so much more like the 4x12).

So, that said, I'm only keeping the 20 around to use as a 1x12 extension cabinet. There is a guy selling a Tiny Terror 15w with a 12 inch Celestion G12h for $400. It's about an hour away, but do you think it would be a good trade to grab that Orange, and sell the 20CR?

I'm not even sure if I'll like the amp of the Orange better than the 20CR, but to me the 20CR and 40CR are pretty identical tone wise, and I don't need 2 of them. So if I'm mainly after just having an extra 1x12, might as well have an amp with a different flavor right?

And I did think about just getting a stand alone Orange 112 cab (I love the Orange look and have always wanted one), but for $400, my logic is I might as well get the used Tiny Terror combo that I could use as an extension cab, or a stand alone backup amp.

Thoughts?

PaulHikeS2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like a no brainer to me. Sell the lesser tonal duplicate - the 20CR - and you'll be able to keep a 2x12 option open while having a new amp to play with. Seems the $$ will mostly even out.

Len

Reaction score
If you plan to play it try it out first. Orange amps have a different tone than Marshall amps.

phase27

Reaction score
Yeah good call. It's an hour away, but I will try to play a different Orange at my Guitar Center just to see how I like the tone. Might help me before I decide to make the trek out to this TT Combo.

I do feel like TT Combos are common enough at $400, might could wait til I find one closer to me, or even a Rocker 15 Combo if one comes up (though I'm sure it'd be more expensive).

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
O
Hey guys,

I've owned the 20CR for about 2 years. Bought used for $375 in 2020. I recently saw a 40CR on Market Place for a steal, so I grabbed it ($450), and planned on selling the 20. I like the 40 better, does all the 20 does and more. However, before selling it I realized I could use that combo as a 2nd speaker for the 40CR. Now I run the 40 into both speakers, and am spoiled by having 2x12 (I used to play through a 4x12 for a long time prior to this, and have been frustrated by 1x12 combos... 2x12 feels so much more like the 4x12).

So, that said, I'm only keeping the 20 around to use as a 1x12 extension cabinet. There is a guy selling a Tiny Terror 15w with a 12 inch Celestion G12h for $400. It's about an hour away, but do you think it would be a good trade to grab that Orange, and sell the 20CR?

I'm not even sure if I'll like the amp of the Orange better than the 20CR, but to me the 20CR and 40CR are pretty identical tone wise, and I don't need 2 of them. So if I'm mainly after just having an extra 1x12, might as well have an amp with a different flavor right?

And I did think about just getting a stand alone Orange 112 cab (I love the Orange look and have always wanted one), but for $400, my logic is I might as well get the used Tiny Terror combo that I could use as an extension cab, or a stand alone backup amp.

Thoughts?
Orange Tiny Terror is kind of cool. Look at the Dual Terror too, its even cooler. :yesway:

Andytones74

Reaction score
I have a Tiny terror head, I wanted to like it but didn't.Something with the low mids I didn't get along with. I ended up getting a british glory mod kit for it and love it now (closer to plexi tones). Guess I,m not an Orange amp guy

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
I had both a head and combo terror before at different times.
Definitely a different flavour sound wise.
One thing about the tiny terror is in my opinion it sounds great cranked up but terrible on quiet practice volumes. It loses all its thick fullness. I got rid of mine for this reason.
Yes I did by the combo a few years later and played it loud and it was glorious. Then when I wasn’t able to turn up I remembered why I sold the head previously. So this went too.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thoughts?
If your DSL's still have the stock speaker, some speaker changes could give you more variety of tones.
Never liked the 70/80's that came in the MX112 cabs with the DSL20HR.
I also think V-types aren't a great match, but I like them in other amps.
Just put some G12H-30's in my MX cabs - same as the speaker in that Orange combo.

You said they are "pretty identical tone wise" - try setting them to sound different. :shrug:
Instead of just having one as an extension cab for the other, get a stereo pedal, A/B/Y, etc., and run stereo or wet/dry.
Lots of ways to get some different tones out of the amps ya' already got.

phase27

Reaction score
I have a Creamback75 in the 40, and the V Type in the 20. I like both of those speakers.

Interesting thought, I could keep both and just treat them differently. Hadn’t thought about running them stereo. I just kind of like the idea of my 2nd amp being totally different, and usable as a 1x12 extension. The 40cr gives me so much versatility, that I’m kind of drawn to the simplicity of 3 knobs on the Orange. Just for something different.

Interesting point above about quiet volumes vs loud on the Orange. I think the DSL sounds great either way, and I do play quietly a lot of the time, so that’s something to consider on the Tiny Terror.

Won’t know til I try it out for myself! There is a guy selling one 1.5 hours away for $275, which sounds like a steal. If I can get out that way I’ll definitely try it out.

Mystic38

Reaction score
yes.

oh, wait.. were you expecting more in way of response?..

ok, the 20CR cant do anything the 40cr can't and the 40CR is portable enough.. The tiny terror will give you another great flavor or rock tone. ie YES

phase27

Reaction score
Ha, yeah I'm down with all of that. Good perspective. Here's another question for you @Mystic38 since it looks like you have some Orange stuff.

The TT combo I was looking at is $275. I also just found a PPC112 for $200. I could get a Micro head used for cheap to go with that. So for around $275 - $325 in either event, does one or the other seem like a better set up to you?

GlideOn

Reaction score
Go even smaller.

The point of having a small amplifier is to make it easier to get around, no?

The Micro Terror is 1/4th the cost of the Tiny Terror and 99% of the tone. It's seriously impressive hybrid tube pre/solid state power that has the goods.

I modded a Micro Dark recently with a .0022 or 2200pf Sozo bright cap as it had NONE on the board or gain pot and this opens up so much more tonal versatility. Also a Mullard 12AX7 softens some of the spiky tone, warms it up noticeably.

Still well under the 200 mark and you've got extra cash left for an Orange PC112.

Last edited:

phase27

Reaction score
I've thought about this too. My main need is just the extra 1x12 for the DSL40, so I could do a PPC112 and a Micro Terror. There's actually a PPC112 in my area for $200, and I could find a Micro Terror used for cheap. The Tiny Terror Combo I was looking at is $275, and that would also function as a 1x12 for the DSL. Both are about 90 minutes away though, or I'd go try them out.

I like the idea of the PPC112 and a Micro Terror, but like you said the point of a smaller back up set up is that it's smaller, and the PPC112 looks about the same size as the DSL40, whereas the TT Combo is closer to a DSL20.

Probably splitting hairs though, honestly either set up seems cool. Might just come down to which is still available whenever I free up and can make a short road trip out there.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I've thought about this too. My main need is just the extra 1x12 for the DSL40, so I could do a PPC112 and a Micro Terror. There's actually a PPC112 in my area for $200, and I could find a Micro Terror used for cheap. The Tiny Terror Combo I was looking at is $275, and that would also function as a 1x12 for the DSL. Both are about 90 minutes away though, or I'd go try them out.

I like the idea of the PPC112 and a Micro Terror, but like you said the point of a smaller back up set up is that it's smaller, and the PPC112 looks about the same size as the DSL40, whereas the TT Combo is closer to a DSL20.

Probably splitting hairs though, honestly either set up seems cool. Might just come down to which is still available whenever I free up and can make a short road trip out there.
If you want to take a stab at building one of those cheap Chinese 5E3 amps for under $300, I did over the summer, it sounds great and I had a blast!

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
A Tiny Terror head with a cab for $400 is bettrer than a fair deal from what I can tell on Reverb right now.

I'd try running the two DSL combos in stereo with different settings, then if still unhappy get the TT.

On the other hand, it sounds like you have a bit of gas going on. If that's the case get the TT and then you can try it in stereo with the DSL40 or just use the cab and flip the TT head.

Good luck!

phase27

Reaction score
Lol, yes I totally do have the GAS, and I’ll admit, I think Orange amps just look damn cool.

Good points, but to clarify, the TT I mentioned for $400 is a combo (and since the time of my first post, I found another for $275).

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Lol, yes I totally do have the GAS, and I’ll admit, I think Orange amps just look damn cool.

Good points, but to clarify, the TT I mentioned for $400 is a combo (and since the time of my first post, I found another for $275).
Buy 'em all! :yesway:

colchar

Reaction score
I have a Tiny terror head, I wanted to like it but didn't.Something with the low mids I didn't get along with. I ended up getting a british glory mod kit for it and love it now (closer to plexi tones). Guess I,m not an Orange amp guy

Don't assume that the Tiny Terror is representative of Orange amps. Just because you didn't like the TT doesn't mean you wouldn't love something else.