I need a way to boost the VOLUME of an already od boosted JCM800

tully

Reaction score
I have an old 800 with no loop

I do not want to mod it

I had read an EHX Signal Pad was the way to go

Does anyone have any experience with this pedal?

Any other suggestions?

rolijen

Reaction score
The Fryette PS-100 and Boss TAE are both amazing tools. Tully, I’m assuming your “old 800” is a 100-watt model? That being the case, both the PS-100 and the TAE have 100-watt power amps and won’t really make your amp much louder. However by not having to dime your 800’s pre or master, there will be a less compression and the clean power of the PS-100 or TAE will likely feel tighter/louder. And it will probably sound better too. Add the flexibility of the FX loop on either unit and the built-in effects of the TAE and you’ve got new life breathed into your classic rig.

If you perchance have a 50-watt JCM800, then these two options will for sure allow you to peel a little more paint off the walls.

Just a thought.

pedecamp

Reaction score
I have an old 800 with no loop

I do not want to mod it

I had read an EHX Signal Pad was the way to go

Does anyone have any experience with this pedal?

Any other suggestions?
The EHX is not that good, I much prefer the Mad Professor Underdrive, its not perfect but if you set your lead tone and volume on the amp then with the Underdrive dial everything back for your rhythm tone.

StingRay85

Reaction score
If the master volume is maxed out, that's probably about all volume / head room you will get from it. Boosting it will only clip the preamp signal but will not significantly impact volume (assuming you're talking about a 2203/2204 type of JCM800). You could also try to bias the power tubes hotter

tully

Reaction score
If the master volume is maxed out, that's probably about all volume / head room you will get from it. Boosting it will only clip the preamp signal but will not significantly impact volume (assuming you're talking about a 2203/2204 type of JCM800). You could also try to bias the power tubes hotter
The master won't be maxed. I just need a volume boost for solos

PelliX

Reaction score
I'm trying to understand why anybody would have a 100 watt Marshall and need it to be LOUDER these days. That's a bit unusual.

Never had any problem getting the volume I need out of a Marshall.
Where you playing, Shea Stadium?

This ^. Not asking for an exact dB count here, but... what is the volume like? I mean, a cranked 50W JCM800 with a reasonable input signal should be able to almost drown out most drummers at close proximity. I'm suspecting something else might be wrong here. What is the rest of the setup? Are you sure the preamp valves are the correct type (so not substituted for low-gain replacements) and operating correctly?

Kim Lucky Day

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a Bad Cat Unleash 2 with my 4010, it's a 2 channel re-amper that I use exactly for the reason you are looking for-giving me a volume boost for a solo. Works great on amps 50 watts and under. I don't believe it would support a 100w amp, though.

matttornado

Reaction score
Slave it like mentioned above.

I had that problem for years! I tap a line out (Bray Line Out Box) from one of the amp's speaker jacks and run that into a boost and then into my 2nd amp's (DSL combo) RETURN jack in the effects loop.

Works perfect!

Simply turning the guitar's volume up for solo doesn't raise the volume enough when the amp is already cranked. That only works when playing clean and there's enough headroom.

Turning the volume down with an EQ and then turning it off for solo's sounds like great idea too. I saw a band use that method before with boss Overdrives. They were turning them off for solo boosts.

The cool thing about slaving is that you now have an effects loop for your jcm 800. You can put a delay and reverb there, that's what I do and sounds killer!

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I use a Bad Cat Unleash 2 with my 4010, it's a 2 channel re-amper that I use exactly for the reason you are looking for-giving me a volume boost for a solo. Works great on amps 50 watts and under. I don't believe it would support a 100w amp, though.
Given that the amp is only 50w, and If he's looking for a "significant" volume boost by merely stepping on a footswitch, i agree that this is one of the best options without modding the amp. I use the Unleash with my 50w 1987x for this, and it works great. Since he's got some headroom left (not running the amp wide-open), the amp could also be modded with an FX loop or 2nd master volume, but since he said he's not wanting to mod the amp, those options are out. For that particular amp, I would personally opt for adding a good zero-loss FX loop, which would solve the volume boost issue and also yield better results from time based FX pedals (Reverb, Delay...). It would also be less expensive than a re-amping device.

Last edited: