I need a talent pedal

Barfly

Expert bottle opener.
Reaction score
Some suggestions.

1. use very light gauge strings to lesson the strain on your hands. I'd suggest 8's.
you can move to thicker gauges later if you like.
2. Save money; use youtube. look up lessons on there but learn to crawl first.
3. Noodle around unplugged while you watch tv.
4. LISTEN to the style you want to play in. Immerse yourself in it.
5. The "P" word. Play as often as you can. Stop when you are not enjoying it..
come back to it again.

:band:

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Some suggestions.

1. use very light gauge strings to lesson the strain on your hands. I'd suggest 8's.
you can move to thicker gauges later if you like.
I'll have to disagree with this one. You can't always find 8's just anywhere, and it's probably better to get used to a more common gauge.

Barfly

Expert bottle opener.
Reaction score
I'll have to disagree with this one. You can't always find 8's just anywhere, and it's probably better to get used to a more common gauge.

I'm sure this works for many, many people (starting and staying with a common, higher gauge) but in the OP's case, he's barely playing now due to left hand finger and hand pain. Minutes in the last few months. I remember those days 50 years ago... including hand cramping up bad.

Myself and my little gang of friends (lol, 3 other guitarists) all switched down from higher gauges to 8's. When I went back up to a higher gauge eventually, I and my best friend would switch back to 8's for live shows. It was like taking weights off.

Many years later Nick Bowcott turned me on to 9 1/2's which is what I still use now plus 10's on a couple of guitars, but...

As far as 8's being hard to find I have to strongly disagree. He's on the internet. He can go to commercial music sites and order them. I saw 3 right now. D'Addario makes Extra Super Lights.

I suppose he can wait for a used talent pedal to go on sale in the MEMBER CLASSIFIEDS but those are even rarer than 8's, lol. Personally, I think gambling on a pack of 8's and seeing if they get him interested in playing again is very little money very well spent.

Eric'45

Reaction score
Title says it all. I was trying, not for the first time in my life, to learn guitar. I bought all this gear, then some left finger/hand pain comes up. Now, I haven't even played more than a few minutes in months, and I still do not feel I can play worth a dirty...
(obviously if I don't play, I won't improve, but am I just one of those that never get it?)
I know that feeling. I work in a Job that sometimes requires to lift heavy stuff and work with my Hands all day (I'm a Carpenter). There are days when my Hands are a bit stressed, and I let them rest. Otherwise, I try to play at least a few minutes everyday.
My parents even paid some lessons for me, but I had no interest back then. Sometimes I wish I could go back and kick 9- year old Eric's little ass and force him to practice while he has the time. 😒 Now I'm 28, and while I'm still younger than some of you, look at what Jimi Hendrix has accompolished in the same time.

On a more positive note, I occasionally realize I can play something I was struggling with a few months ago. Learning just takes a bit more time, and time is more limited until we all reach retirement age, but there is some progress. Sometimes it's good to focus on what you can play, instead of trying to learn something new every day. I'd also advise to play along to Songs you like.That way you will develop some 'endurance' and strength.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know that feeling. I work in a Job that sometimes requires to lift heavy stuff and work with my Hands all day (I'm a Carpenter). There are days when my Hands are a bit stressed, and I let them rest. Otherwise, I try to play at least a few minutes everyday.
My parents even paid some lessons for me, but I had no interest back then. Sometimes I wish I could go back and kick 9- year old Eric's little ass and force him to practice while he has the time. 😒 Now I'm 28, and while I'm still younger than some of you, look at what Jimi Hendrix has accompolished in the same time.

On a more positive note, I occasionally realize I can play something I was struggling with a few months ago. Learning just takes a bit more time, and time is more limited until we all reach retirement age, but there is some progress. Sometimes it's good to focus on what you can play, instead of trying to learn something new every day. I'd also advise to play along to Songs you like.That way you will develop some 'endurance' and strength.
I hear you on the heavy lifting stuff. I've been a Mason for 33 years, and my musical skills have definitely taken a hit from that abuse. Still love the shit out of playing, but 3 sets a night aint happenin..lol.

Eric'45

Reaction score
I hear you on the heavy lifting stuff. I've been a Mason for 33 years, and my musical skills have definitely taken a hit from that abuse.
It is what it is... part of my Job is also working with CnC Machines, and Computer work, so it's acceptable. I will never be a true virtuoso, that's for shure. An advantage is, of course that I know how to work with Woodworking Tools, and I'm trying to build my own Guitars. That's another compensation for me, when I don't have the power/ motivation to play: I do something else related to my guitars, like soldering, fixing or modding something, setup work, and so on.