I inherited a 1987 2555 Silver Jubilee and have questions about its value

Gunnnar

Reaction score
Hello,

I know my first post here asking for prices probably isn't a good look, but I figured this was the best place to ask. My dad recently passed away and left me with a basement full of Marshalls (a dozen full stacks: several 800s 900s, and some older JMPs as well as some not so nice DSL something or anothers). I have read through this forum, reverb, ebay sold listings, etc, and am having trouble finding the price of an original 1987 2555 Silver Jubilee full stack. I've got someone locally (the Canadian Prairies) who is interested, and I am not sure what price to tell him. I know reverb is inflated, but I am not sure how much.

Is 6500CAD a fair price?

I have also attached a photo of dad's collection to make you all drool. PXL_20220731_015922840 (1).jpg

Regards,
gunnnar

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
@Gunnnar
First> Sorry about your Dad!
Next> :welcome: to the forum!

Then> Are you a guitar player? If so, I couldn't let anything go before first giving it a good workout! Some cool pieces for sure! If not a player, it hust boils down to their $$$$ value, unless you want to start playing, then its a different story, altogether!

At a quick glance, without getting details, I'm guessing in the neighborhood of $20,000 plus worth of Marshalls. I see very little in the realm of true vintage collectors' pieces, but a lot of truly robust workhorses that should bring good $$$ if in proper working condition. I'm figuring each stack at about $2,500, some more, some less, depending on some details and operating condition and how long they have been sitting without being fired up. And that's likely a little bit low, depending on how quickly you want/need to liquidate.

If you're not a player and know little about amps, don't just go "willy-Nilly" firing them all up, as under certain conditions and without proper knowledge, much value could be destroyed! Each amp needs to have proper speaker cables and the impedance set properly just to safely power them up. Each amp should also be brought up to operating voltage "SLOWLY" using a variac. If all this is greek to you, then you need real assistance, to protect the value of your Dad's legacy! Nine blown up Marshall heads on top of those 18 cabinets would drop that estimated value by about half!

Let us know?

Sorry Again For Your Loss,
Gene

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hello,

I know my first post here asking for prices probably isn't a good look, but I figured this was the best place to ask. My dad recently passed away and left me with a basement full of Marshalls (a dozen full stacks: several 800s 900s, and some older JMPs as well as some not so nice DSL something or anothers). I have read through this forum, reverb, ebay sold listings, etc, and am having trouble finding the price of an original 1987 2555 Silver Jubilee full stack. I've got someone locally (the Canadian Prairies) who is interested, and I am not sure what price to tell him. I know reverb is inflated, but I am not sure how much.

Is 6500CAD a fair price?

I have also attached a photo of dad's collection to make you all drool. View attachment 112411

Regards,
gunnnar
Sorry for your loss. With that amount of gear your dad must have been a touring musician at some point. Anybody we might know?

67mike

Reaction score
Hello,

Is 6500CAD a fair price?

I have also attached a photo of dad's collection to make you all drool. View attachment 112411

Regards,
gunnnar
Sorry to hear of your loss.

You could see what the person wants to offer you, and go from there. You are close to the money found in Alberta and B.C.....so lots of very wealthy folks there who might pay 6500????

There is a ton of stuff priced by crazy people on reverb.....and it will never sell.....keep that in mind.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have read through this forum, reverb, ebay sold listings, etc, and am having trouble finding the price of an original 1987 2555 Silver Jubilee full stack. I've got someone locally (the Canadian Prairies) who is interested, and I am not sure what price to tell him. I know reverb is inflated, but I am not sure how much.

Is 6500CAD a fair price?
Condolances, and :welcome: to the forum.
Your best bet may be to price out individual cabs and heads.
If you set up a reverb seller account, you can see what some items are actually selling for and not just listing prices.
If you are not into shipping this stuff around the country, or globally, and you have a local interested buyer, then the price is going to be what they are willing to pay, and you are willing to accept.

Smellytele

Reaction score
Ah man, sorry about your loss. I'm very close with my dad, I don't even want to think about the day he's not around. His thing is Victory motorcycles, he's got a barn full of them that's similar to your dad's amp collection. I once asked him why he keeps buying Victory bikes and he turned around and asked me how many guitars I owned. Point taken.
I don't have any input on your question, just wanted to offer my condolences. That's quite a collection he had.

Gunnnar

Reaction score
@Gunnnar
First> Sorry about your Dad!
Next> :welcome: to the forum!

Then> Are you a guitar player? If so, I couldn't let anything go before first giving it a good workout! Some cool pieces for sure! If not a player, it hust boils down to their $$$$ value, unless you want to start playing, then its a different story, altogether!

At a quick glance, without getting details, I'm guessing in the neighborhood of $20,000 plus worth of Marshalls. I see very little in the realm of true vintage collectors' pieces, but a lot of truly robust workhorses that should bring good $$$ if in proper working condition. I'm figuring each stack at about $2,500, some more, some less, depending on some details and operating condition and how long they have been sitting without being fired up. And that's likely a little bit low, depending on how quickly you want/need to liquidate.

If you're not a player and know little about amps, don't just go "willy-Nilly" firing them all up, as under certain conditions and without proper knowledge, much value could be destroyed! Each amp needs to have proper speaker cables and the impedance set properly just to safely power them up. Each amp should also be brought up to operating voltage "SLOWLY" using a variac. If all this is greek to you, then you need real assistance, to protect the value of your Dad's legacy! Nine blown up Marshall heads on top of those 18 cabinets would drop that estimated value by about half!

Let us know?

Sorry Again For Your Loss,
Gene
Hello,

Thanks for the information and kind words.

I do play guitar, but I'm more of an Ibanez and amp-sim kind of guy (I know... Not what people around these parts like to hear).

I will keep one head and one cab, mostly for sentimental reasons, but also because I like the sound of those old JMPs. The rest I will have to part. I'll definitely try each one to make sure I don't get rid of something I should keep.

Any idea on the price of the Jubilee?

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
I’ve been playing tube amps for 35yrs and never done this?

Absolutely understood! The thing is, most of what you've likely used probably hasn't sat unused for possibly 20 or more years!

That picture looks very familiar for some reason. I feel like I’ve seen those stacks in that room before. Could have been from a slightly different angle, but there’s a familiarity.

I totally agree. That pic looks VERY familiar. Maybe a little detective work is in order, so that we can give him a proper good bye?

Best To You, @Gunnnar
Gene

Gunnnar

Reaction score
Absolutely understood! The thing is, most of what you've likely used probably hasn't sat unused for possibly 20 or more years!

I totally agree. That pic looks VERY familiar. Maybe a little detective work is in order, so that we can give him a proper good bye?

Best To You, @Gunnnar
Gene
I wonder if there is a mod I can talk to. Maybe they can check users by email address?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks for the information and kind words.

I do play guitar, but I'm more of an Ibanez and amp-sim kind of guy (I know... Not what people around these parts like to hear).

I will keep one head and one cab, mostly for sentimental reasons, but also because I like the sound of those old JMPs. The rest I will have to part. I'll definitely try each one to make sure I don't get rid of something I should keep.

Any idea on the price of the Jubilee?
I recall a few years ago when they were blowing out the Jube reissues you could get one new for $1200, certainly if you double that price would be a fair number to start with for an original.

67mike

Reaction score
I recall a few years ago when they were blowing out the Jube reissues you could get one new for $1200, certainly if you double that price would be a fair number to start with for an original.
You can buy a brand new 2555x in Canada for $2900. The 2551av slant cab is $2200.00 here. The B cab would also be around $2200 new.

So $6500 isn't out of the realm of possible.

Last edited:

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss.

What a cool dad.

What great taste.

GAS is something we call this need to keep buying gear. It is short for Gear Acquirement Syndrome.

That is a stellar collection. I would keep them all and never leave that room if it were mine.

Still, they should go to a good home if they remain unused.

That is an absolute museum of Marshalls and lovely to see.

Thanks for posting it.

nevermind

Reaction score
I've got someone locally (the Canadian Prairies) who is interested, and I am not sure what price to tell him. I know reverb is inflated, but I am not sure how much.

Ask him what he's willing to pay!

For Reverb prices, not 100% true. Reverb has price history graphs with some of the more traffic'd gear. You can get a ballpark idea of sold price and condition. You have to sign in, look for the bulk listing and then scroll to the bottom of al the listings. Graph/table looks like this:

Screenshot 2022-08-04 171544.jpg

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I'm thinking around 5k in this area. But if you can get 6500 do it! I might be interested in a piece or 2 at some point depending what it is. And where western prairies is!
Cheers.
Sorry about your dad.

Latest posts