I Have Too Many Guitars

Vinsanitizer

Seven Seven Seven
VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that situation.

I'm in East Tennessee myself but have never been to Memphis. I heard areas of it are to be avoided.

I have 6 or 7 guitars and I'm thinking I have enough....but hours later I'll be scrolling on Reverb looking for the next thing lol.

Most of them that I got rid of are of circumstances where I had to pay bills, etc. About 80% of them I'd like to have back.

Amps are another story. I only have four but would be perfectly fine having like ten more lol.
I think maps and guitars is like commercials for kids when they say: "Collect all 4!".

Now, as adults, we gotta have a:

Gibson Les Paul
Gibson Explorer
Gibson Flying V
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Fender Jazz Master
Martin D-18
Martin D-28
Martin D-42

...and that's just the basic models, before you even get into the Vintage Reissue models. Then there's the other whole galaxy of maplifiers - we gotta collects all's of them too.

And then? We bond with like, 1 guitar and 1 map, and the rest we just lay out and look at, and post rockstar pics on the web.

That what $60K will do for ya anyway.

Deftone

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that situation.

I'm in East Tennessee myself but have never been to Memphis. I heard areas of it are to be avoided.

I have 6 or 7 guitars and I'm thinking I have enough....but hours later I'll be scrolling on Reverb looking for the next thing lol.

Most of them that I got rid of are of circumstances where I had to pay bills, etc. About 80% of them I'd like to have back.

Amps are another story. I only have four but would be perfectly fine having like ten more lol.
I was stationed at Ft Campbell '87-'89 and visited Memphis for the '88 Monsters Of Rock at the Liberty Bowl. We went to Nashville a lot as well.

Deftone

Reaction score
I think maps and guitars is like commercials for kids when they say: "Collect all 4!".

Gibson Les Paul
Gibson Explorer
Gibson Flying V
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Fender Jazz Master
Martin D-18
Martin D-28
Martin D-42

...and that's just the basic models, before you even get into the Vintage Reissue models. Then there's the other whole galaxy of maplifiers - we gotta collects all's of them too.

And then? We bond with like, 1 guitar and 1 map, and the rest we just lay out and look at, and post rockstar pics on the web.

That what $60K will do for ya anyway.
I'd skip the Jizz Master and get an SG instead. And one acoustic is more than enough for me.

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
I feel for you Alvis. We tried to get my elderly parents to move in with us or at least to an ALF close to our home.

My brother talked them into moving into a crazy expensive ALF which is quite a distance from our home. I know that they are going stir crazy in the small apartment without mobility or much freedom.

I believe that they would have been much happier living with us, or at least closer to us, so that we could get them out more often.

Wishing you the best and you are a good son.

PelliX

Reaction score

Gibson Les Paul
Gibson Explorer
Gibson Flying V
Fender Stratocaster
Fender Telecaster
Fender Jazz Master
Martin D-18
Martin D-28
Martin D-42

I'll ditch the pointy guitars if I can get in an ES-335 and a resonator instead of one of the Martins. The SG is on a tie with the Jazz Master. Everything about them says "no", but they do amazing things...

Also, you missed the plural in Telecaster*s*; obviously one is not enough.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Disgraceland. :lol:

Tough thing for sure but I commend you for it. I wish you the best of luck and may you enjoy this new chapter of your life.

What do ya call an 88yr old movin Marshalls ?

Fckn ROCK , that's what !!!

Phew! Good thing you said something, I was getting concerned about how tough that move really was!

Vinsanitizer

Seven Seven Seven
VIP Member
Reaction score
That one there is one of my most often gigged Marshalls
Unfortunately, 1st link goes to a blank page, 2nd link requires Facebook login (I don't use FB), and 3rd link (Soundcloud) has all kinds of different tracks. Anything you can post that's a direct link to you using that JCM combo? (I do have an accessible SoundCloud account.)

I really like your tone on this one, especially what I hear in the first 90 secs:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Family developments have kinda dictated that I leave my home of 24 years and move on to the family compound with my 88yr old parents .
Ive been in Europe since 04 Aug (Coast Guard Day) , having wrapped up a painful (physically not emotionally) 4 - 5 day move outa my house in Memphis . In the process , I found out , I HAVE TOO MANY GUITARS . Man, they just kept comin . I ended up givin away a bunch of my projects , a couple Peaveys and a bunch of speakers . I SOLD two 4x12 cabinets .....that was cool

So I return to the land o' burgers n bullets on Monday .....in a state of flux ,as it hits me ......I no longer call this place home
So long ,Disgraceland

Nice home, is this the one you're heading to or leaving? I moved my dad in with me at that age, he didnt like it but I kept telling him the doctor said so, he said ok and didnt fight it. I eventually found someone to move into his house to take care of him which worked out well. Good luck with your folks! :yesway:

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice home, is this the one you're heading to or leaving? I moved my dad in with me at that age, he didnt like it but I kept telling him the doctor said so, he said ok and didnt fight it. I eventually found someone to move into his house to take care of him which worked out well. Good luck with your folks! :yesway:
Leaving

Clearly what you describe is a lack of space, not a problem of having too many guitars, isn't it? ;)

Absolutely , Im thinkin about another barn

Latest posts