I had no idea that the JCM 900 is my favorite amp . . .

Mike_LA

Reaction score
So for the past month or so I've been wondering what my fav channel on the 6101 is based on.
Gotta love channel 2 with both buttons pushed in . . .
Went back to the manual and lo and behold Ol Jim says it's based on a JCM 900.

I have no experience with those amps but I was surprised to find that out.

Kind of like, most times when I run thru a modeler, I tend to settle on a patch that is mesa based . . . Who knew?
20220922_144538.jpg

Deftone

Reaction score
I like the 900 tones as well.

IMHO JCM900 & Mesa tones are similar...darker & more '90's metal than the JCM800 line.

Seems to me that the JCM900 design is an obvious response to Mesa's popularity in the '90's

800's, 900's, Mesa's...I like them all. It's weird that they are so polarizing. I like Pizza, but I don't want it every day. I like Steak too...and burgers, fried chicken.....

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
So for the past month or so I've been wondering what my fav channel on the 6101 is based on.

Kind of like, most times when I run thru a modeler, I tend to settle on a patch that is mesa based . . . Who knew?
View attachment 115707
If that's true, it would be without the clipping diodes found in a 900 (except for the SL-X). I don't have a schematic in front of me, but i don't believe there are any clipping diodes in a 6100.

Mike_LA

Reaction score
Are both of your 6101s 5881 power tubes?
Mines the EL34 version, just wonder if you have a direct comparison on hand.
Nope, 1 is EL34 the other is 6L6WGC -- (both sets chosen by Pete when he did the recaps)
I have tried to do demos but there are sooo many other factors between the power tubes and the speaker.
I actually bought a tonebone amp switcher to do just that but it was too noisy and I sold it.
The EQ knobs aren't exactly the same, so treble @ 12 o' clock on both amps isn't the same.
Since the preamp section has the 6 12AX7s, those tubes are all different and will also color the end sound.
I guess I need to eq them to both sound the same then play them at volume like Johan Segeborn.
Humm guess I could drop it down to 25watts as well.

To be honest, I use the preamp for OD so I really don't know what power tube distortion sounds like vs preamp..

Mike_LA

Reaction score
If that's true, it would be without the clipping diodes found in a 900 (except for the SL-X). I don't have a schematic in front of me, but i don't believe there are any clipping diodes in a 6100.
Well he did say it was based on the 900.
To be honest, I don't know what to listen for to hear a clipping diode vs preamp overdrive.
As long as we are on the subject what should I listen for between preamp and power amp overdrive?

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Well he did say it was based on the 900.
To be honest, I don't know what to listen for to hear a clipping diode vs preamp overdrive.
As long as we are on the subject what should I listen for between preamp and power amp overdrive?
Difficult to describe how diode clipping sounds, compared to preamp tube clipping. If I had to take a stab at it, I'd say preamp tube clipping is less harsh, as it's a more non-linear. Diodes clip the signal in a more linear (flat) manner, what some refer to as "hard clipping". As for preamp vs. power amp distortion, to my ears, a non-master volume amp with the power section overdriven sounds smoother, and is more sensitive to picking dynamics (pick lightly, fairly clean, pick hard heavy overdrive...). Just my take, of course.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Please, buy a 900DR.

Take a camera and record your face
when you first plugin to it.

Show the recording here.

:lol:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, this place is bad for GAS! But, for me, someone just has to mention a 6100 or 6101 for my GAS to flare up.
If you're looking, I know a guy...

FleshOnGear

Reaction score
If you're looking, I know a guy...
Looking for a divorce? Not really. Hahaha

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score

View attachment 115707
Yep, mode C is 900, mode B is 800 pushed. I like the low end grunt of mode B, kinda wish Mode C had more of that as B often isn't gainy enough.
But with gain near full on mode C to get some extra low end punch, it is too high and loses clarity. I do really like it though.

As for pwoer section, I think you really won't hear that until amp is up quite high and with lots pf preamp gain I suspect all you will really hear is some extra compression.

The sound of a 6100 is mostly preamp.

Mike_LA

Reaction score
As for power section, I think you really won't hear that until amp is up quite high and with lots pf preamp gain I suspect all you will really hear is some extra compression.

The sound of a 6100 is mostly preamp.
Kind of my thoughts as well.
I've been way lazy when I rehearse, just plug into the Eleven Rack and go.
Lately I've been firing up the real deal.
I can see now that my patches need work. I will say one thing, the EL34 amp is dead quiet and the 6L6 amp has a pronounced humm. Can't really hear it over playing though.
I can dial either one in to sound wonderful, they are both running thru a 6G15 reverb for just a little wetness.
Though I may change that to a Boss CE2 next week . . .

Last edited:

Latest posts