I can no longer afford to own an acoustical guitar

Vinsanitizer

Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
At these prices, I might as well just buy another guitar every time teh strings need changed:
-Martin
-Still got a pack of these Martins from 6 years ago. Sticker on the box says $7.99.
-Gibson
-D'Addario
-There's these, but at this cheap, do they measure up? Doubtful.

Frickin' scamflation we're in anymore. :mad: :rolleyes:

Vinsanitizer

VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah... it doesn't make it clear that you're actually buying THREE packs. Ok, so then what about the $90 3-pack and the others at $22 and $24 (per pack?)

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

VIP Member
Reaction score
$25 is 12 string pack (coated)
Gibsons are a rip-off...
OMG! I'm just trying to search for "acoustic guitar strings 12". :facepalm: Anyway, I ordered a 3-pack of Daddario J16's for like $16. Gibsons ARE a rip-off, and I never understood why they'd cut off their own foot on guitar strings.

Last edited:

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
At these prices, I might as well just buy another guitar every time teh strings need changed:
-Martin
-Still got a pack of these Martins from 6 years ago. Sticker on the box says $7.99.
-Gibson
-D'Addario
-There's these, but at this cheap, do they measure up? Doubtful.

Frickin' scamflation we're in anymore. :mad: :rolleyes:

One strange thing about the Martins you posted- those are old model numbers. Martin hasn't used "MSP..." skus for several years. Everything is "MA" now.
I've never bought anything from Amazon but that seems like a scam to me.
Check these regular Martin SPs from a reputable dealer:
One set of SP 12-54 is $7.50.

Personally Martin and D'Addario EJs are only so/so. Although I do like Martin Monels of my D18 but that guitar makes everything sound good.

I don't watch prices super closely but I don't think there has been any real jump in string prices. Ymmv.

If you're super hard up I can send you some old strings!

Vinsanitizer

VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, I took the model number Lo-Tek posted, punched that into Amazon, and I'm seeing much more reasonable prices. Whew! Still not sure why I was seing such high prices, discontinued model numbers? IDK, but this is MUCH better:

Thanks!

KidBlast

Reaction score
Yea,, .. this is just one more reason to find a decent coated string you can like.

Lately for me, it's D'Addario XS strings. they last a real long time.

Just changed a set on my J200 that lasted close to 6 months. they still sounded good and had not really showed a lot of signs of coating shred.

Easily three times longer, and then some, but about 3 times the price? Coincidence ???? I dunno

Graham Watkin

Reaction score
One strange thing about the Martins you posted- those are old model numbers. Martin hasn't used "MSP..." skus for several years. Everything is "MA" now.
I've never bought anything from Amazon but that seems like a scam to me.
Check these regular Martin SPs from a reputable dealer:
One set of SP 12-54 is $7.50.

Personally Martin and D'Addario EJs are only so/so. Although I do like Martin Monels of my D18 but that guitar makes everything sound good.

I don't watch prices super closely but I don't think there has been any real jump in string prices. Ymmv.

If you're super hard up I can send you some old strings!
Ernie Ball man meself... Never let me down.... Yet.

El Gringo

Reaction score
I got a set of Martin strings a while ago for my Martin D-41 which I never play . Now seeing this thread I might put the new strings on as the ones on there are old . No sense of urgency on my part as I just don't play the Martin . It just not a Les Paul and it's not loud and rocking . I know those are bad reasons but it's the truth .

PelliX

Reaction score
Don't Esteban's come with a spare set of strings, too? Those pieces of crap might just start to gain value ... :cool:

Latest posts