I already have a DSL 20 CR...should I bother with an Origin 20?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Missus greenlit an Origin 20. I would be getting the head version and pairing it with my extra wide Vintage 30 loaded cabinet. I already have the DSL 20 combo. It's pretty versatile. Would getting Origin be redundant? Seem like it covers the gain between the DSLs Classic and Ultra channels.
Redundant?
Nope.

Do it - there's some good deals out there right now on the O20H used.
I got both and wouldn't want to part with either.
Classic single channel tones you can't get from the DSL.
vive la différence

Greenbacks are better with the Origin than V30's (IMO/YMMV).
Very responsive to different speakers and tubes.
EQ in the loop and a dirt pedal / boost out front make it an extremely versatile amp.

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t own either amp, but just from listening to videos and listening to members experiences, it sounds as if these two amps could not be more different.

Obviously you already know the Dsl amps are high gain amps, especially compared to an Origin, which has more of a Classic Marshall vibe to it.

Everything my buddy @fitz said above is true, including the part about a Greenback being a better fit for the Origin.

I would think that would certainly be true, knowing how V30s sound, I’m sure a Greenback, or even a Creamback, would be a better choice with an Origin.

I think an Origin would compliment your Dsl nicely, I say go for it.

Welcome to the forum @R.B. Huckleberry.

steveb63

Reaction score
I have both.

No regrets whatsoever. I'm definitely using both for different reasons. Depending on settings, effects etc... is varied enough for two different tones when tracking.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
The Missus greenlit an Origin 20. I would be getting the head version and pairing it with my extra wide Vintage 30 loaded cabinet. I already have the DSL 20 combo. It's pretty versatile. Would getting Origin be redundant? Seem like it covers the gain between the DSLs Classic and Ultra channels.
I think you would enjoy the variety, I'm sure the V30 cab you got will be fine, I dont like V30 but you obviously do so you will like it!

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Oddly enough I also have a Boogie cab with a 10" Creamback, so I can obtain the Origin combo experience without having to remove the chassis to replace tubes.

I pulled the trigger. Woo hoo!
I have to think you are going to love the new addition.
Congratulations on the incoming Origin

Latest posts