Humans on the Moon again?

jchrisf

Reaction score
Just got a warning from my employer about traffic delays because of this launch at the end of the month.. I guess everyone will be coming for this one.

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
Well, the first mission is just 'testing', I think. As in take-off, orbit earth, return. If that all works out, the next mission might actually involve lunar orbit...

jchrisf

Reaction score
Well, the first mission is just 'testing', I think. As in take-off, orbit earth, return. If that all works out, the next mission might actually involve lunar orbit...
Yeah, we'll see.. this first one is un-maned... but it ought to put on a good show for us with lots of ground shaking.

I guess I should have posted this one instead

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
It will be cool if they ever really put a man on the moon. Then they could do the moonwalk and grab their crotch and yell and stuff. Humanity needs this right now in these trying times. It will give us hope.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
They went back to the old design of disposable rockets from yesteryear? Seems backwards. At least Space Shuttle brought the gear back to earth to be reused, you'd think they would have progressed from there. :scratch:

Flag

Reaction score
Hope this will help develop some sort of ocean plastic cleaner. or more water for the west coast so we can have some food to eat, I could go on...lol.

PelliX

Reaction score
Hope this will help develop some sort of ocean plastic cleaner. or more water for the west coast so we can have some food to eat, I could go on...lol.

No, but the official reason the Chinese are doing it is to combat space debris. It's not exactly in my way when I head off to work, but it would be nice to have it cleared up a little. When I was a child, I had to clear up my toys every now and then... :shrug:

RLW59

Reaction score
They went back to the old design of disposable rockets from yesteryear? Seems backwards. At least Space Shuttle brought the gear back to earth to be reused, you'd think they would have progressed from there. :scratch:
The Shuttle was actually a hugely inefficient way to get loads into low Earth orbit. It would have been even less efficient for high orbits or trips to the Moon. And the boosters and main fuel tanks are all at the bottom of the Atlantic.

Russia, China, ESA, and India all continue to use disposable single-use rockets after analyzing the cost performance of the Shuttle.

The return to the Moon project started 20 years ago. Back then, reusable lauch vehicles were pure science fiction, and SpaceX's plan was seen as a huge gamble with little likelihood of success.

So NASA decided to go with an approach that's guaranteed to work.

PelliX

Reaction score
Pretty cool article and very interesting however I guess pollution doesn’t matter right but we should drive electric cars other wise know as gocarts! Amazing!

Electric cars are worse for the environment on every single front, it's just a bunch of marketing. At least NASA gives us some nice footage in return, and maybe we'll be just one tiny step closer to finding a new world to pollute ... :D

Vinsanitizer

Seven Seven Seven
VIP Member
Reaction score
The human race isn't going to colonize other planets any sooner than it's going to find aliens - and that will be exactly never. So I say just give it up already.

Moreover, the NASA Space Program's rush to land on the moon was originally about beating the Russians. Well, we did that. The fact that it continues persistently, decade after decade, and costs so much with apparently zero benefit to mankind, makes me suspicious. The least of my questions being, why we're continuing to fund such useless programs. There is a reason, there's definitely at least one huge reason, but we'll never know it until its true objective is revealed.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Electric cars are worse for the environment on every single front, it's just a bunch of marketing. At least NASA gives us some nice footage in return, and maybe we'll be just one tiny step closer to finding a new world to pollute ... :D
I sooo agree with you!

PelliX

Reaction score
The human race isn't going to colonize other planets any sooner than it's going to find aliens - and that will be exactly never. So I say just give it up already.

Give the human race 500 - 1000 years. Just look back and see where we were a few centuries ago. Not in our lifetimes, true.

Moreover, the NASA Space Program's rush to land on the moon was originally about beating the Russians. Well, we did that. The fact that it continues persistently, decade after decade, and costs so much with apparently zero benefit to mankind, makes me suspicious. The least of my questions being, why we're continuing to fund such useless programs. There is a reason, there's definitely at least one huge reason, but we'll never know it until its true objective is revealed.

Well, now the US is beating China to it (or at least sending a clear message saying "we're watching, we can do this, too").

Flag

Reaction score
No, but the official reason the Chinese are doing it is to combat space debris. It's not exactly in my way when I head off to work, but it would be nice to have it cleared up a little. When I was a child, I had to clear up my toys every now and then... :shrug:
Yeah, who knows WTH is about to fall from space these days

PelliX

Reaction score
Yeah, who knows WTH is about to fall from space these days

Not really about falling or even exiting the atmosphere, it's mainly a problem for other equipment in orbit like satellites and so on.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Space shuttle wasn't the best see below.
The Shuttle was actually a hugely inefficient way to get loads into low Earth orbit. It would have been even less efficient for high orbits or trips to the Moon. And the boosters and main fuel tanks are all at the bottom of the Atlantic.

Russia, China, ESA, and India all continue to use disposable single-use rockets after analyzing the cost performance of the Shuttle.

The return to the Moon project started 20 years ago. Back then, reusable lauch vehicles were pure science fiction, and SpaceX's plan was seen as a huge gamble with little likelihood of success.

So NASA decided to go with an approach that's guaranteed to work.

Space X has managed to re land it's launch vehicle but admittedly this one has to be much larger.
What's they do? Finally agree to go up there and pick up their trash?
Bring back some free Hassleblad cameras!!

I think it will be fun. Memories of the 70s.

Latest posts