Hola

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Good points. I think its time to burn the paper trail of my existence.
Ok, but you're not leaving the forum though, right? You would need approval first for that, plus a few papers you'd need to sign and stuff.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok, but you're not leaving the forum though, right? You would need approval first for that, plus a few papers you'd need to sign and stuff.

Conscription isn’t a part of forum policy.

PelliX

Reaction score
You live in the same neighborhood as Johnny. What are YOU going to do?

Really? I like my neighborhood, but with that dosh I'd pick somewhere else. You do realize I'm in the Netherlands near the German border, right? ;)

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't have to clear your browser cache. Look over on the left and click History. I assume you've watched at least one of the videos about it? If so, then remove it from your History list. If you still get a couple as suggestions, just do the "Not interested" thing.
Right. But you have to log in with an account to do that. I don't log into Google crap.

Newton4104

Reaction score
Right. But you have to log in with an account to do that. I don't log into Google crap.
Unless you use an account that you have curated to your tastes and viewing preferences, youtube will recommend videos based on their own algorithms which unfortunately due to the current vapid, superficial state of society, consist mainly of current high volume pop culture videos. i.e. the crappiest of the crap.

nickfox

Reaction score
@Vinsanitizer

The advice you're giving to clear browser cache is really only applicable to those people who are not logged into youtube.

Don't you agree?

Last edited:

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Really? I like my neighborhood, but with that dosh I'd pick somewhere else. You do realize I'm in the Netherlands near the German border, right? ;)

I didnt know you were from the Lowlands. Disregard my comment.

PelliX

Reaction score
I didnt know you were from the Lowlands. Disregard my comment.

Just because I live here doesn't mean I'm from around here, but maybe you can say hi to Mel Gibson the next time you bump into him at the supermarket ;)

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
VIP Member
Reaction score
@Vinsanitizer

The advice you're giving to clear browser cache is really only applicable to those people who are not logged into youtube.

Don't you agree?
I wouldn't know for sure, but I do believe it woks the same when you're logged in. The difference, that when you're logged in you have access to additional features, settings, and the ability to upload your own videos, etc. I would imagine that clearing your cache still deletes your browser history (cookies), and still starts your suggested searches afresh, but they compile your entire search history and are able to tie it to you as personal information, based on your email address, IP, etc. So my understanding would be that your current search suggestions, whether logged in or our, are based on your cache (cookies, history, etc.).

Best thing to do is try both, and be sure you clear your cache before using YouTube logged out, and again when logged in. Then you will know for sure.

UPDATE: One more thing: cross-site tracking is where other sites can access your search history, and target you for ads. For example, if you've been shopping for musical instruments, the next time you visit a news website, you could possibly see ads for music gear.

nickfox

Reaction score
I wouldn't know for sure, but I do believe it woks the same when you're logged in. The difference, that when you're logged in you have access to additional features, settings, and the ability to upload your own videos, etc. I would imagine that clearing your cache still deletes your browser history (cookies), and still starts your suggested searches afresh, but they compile your entire search history and are able to tie it to you as personal information, based on your email address, IP, etc. So my understanding would be that your current search suggestions, whether logged in or our, are based on your cache (cookies, history, etc.).

Best thing to do is try both, and be sure you clear your cache before using YouTube logged out, and again when logged in. Then you will know for sure.

UPDATE: One more thing: cross-site tracking is where other sites can access your search history, and target you for ads. For example, if you've been shopping for musical instruments, the next time you visit a news website, you could possibly see ads for music gear.

I wrote software for 20+ years. I think I know how it works with a fair amount of confidence.

I never really cared that much about tracking. It most certainly does not affect my buying decisions. Marshall forum has more effect over my buying decisions...

I really like being logged into youtube. I like being able to participate in the comments. Not unlike being part of a forum...

And plus I have a youtube channel with quite a lot of views. It's an important place for me to put up my stuff.

Last edited:

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I wrote software for 20+ years. I think I know how it works with a fair amount of confidence.

I never really cared that much about tracking. It most certainly does not affect my buying decisions. Marshall forum has more effect over my buying decisions...

I really like being logged into youtube. I like being able to participate in the comments. Not unlike being part of a forum...

And plus I have a youtube channel with quite a lot of views. It's an important place for me to put up my stuff.
I too wrote software, developed many web sites, hosted my own forum and built another for my company, and also did a lot of IT stuff for 20 years. If I made you feel like I was talking down to you, I apologize. I do care about tracking, mostly because even though we're all told it's merely about advertising, many like me know differently, and it's being proven as we speak. So it's a question of how tight you like to keep your privacy. We can't block everything all the time, but for some it's worth the effort.

Last edited:

tubes

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too wrote software, developed many web sites, hosted my own forum and built another for my company, and also did a lot of IT stuff for 20 years. If I made you feel like I was talking down to you, I apologize. I do care about tracking, mostly because even though we're all told it's merely about advertising, many like me know differently, and it's being proven as we speak. So it's a question of how tight you like to keep your privacy. We can't block everything all the time, but for some it's worth the effort.

...how tight you like to keep your privacy...
If I want to browse around on YouTube I fire up Tor and use an alternative front-end to YouTube, such as Invidious.
With a bit of luck I will find an instance of Invidious that is on the onion network and working well at the time.

For privacy you can also use Tails on a stick and Tor,
Don't forget Heads.
You can also use Qubes, which will bury you within virtual machines. These VMs do not know the hardware identifiers in your PC, so they will not leak them on the net.

I am not not an IT guy. I do not imagine that I 'know how things work'.
I have a question for IT guys: do most IT guys have a strong opinion about, e.g. Qubes, Tails etc.