Hello from the middle of Ohio!

Reaction score
Sure, I'll take a moment to introduce myself.

I'm J.D., a middle aged knuckle-dragging neanderthal of a guitar player. After years of trying to get the Marshall sound without giving in to the Gold and Black, I finally succumbed. Currently playing on a 5010 Master Lead 30 that of course, needed some work. To that end, I found this forum and a lot of good help and ideas. Now it has all new pots, filter caps, jacks, speaker and now sports several speaker jacks. Aftwr trying a host of speakers, I realize that the original McKenzie had great low end but clean and brittle. A VHT Chromeback now sits in there. (Yeah, it's 16 ohms but much more efficient than the McKenzie. Plus, I can now hook up an external 112 and not run into the 4 Ohm minimum).

Prior to this, I built/modified (did some really horrific things to) Silvertones, Bandmasters and Bassmans. Multiple Legend amp (I really really want to love them but they are a Rockman in a big fancy box). Main rig for a long time was an ART PowerPlant preamp into a Sampson Servo120. Love the distorion sounds and the extremely flexible EQ but they are getting unreliable and replacement chips are non-existent. Plus, I was using it to pretty much dial in a Marshall sound....

Thanks for all the help and for letting me crash your party.

Reaction score
Here's the at-home toys.
(That Blackstar 112 has an amazing thump for an open back cab!)

OK, trying again to get the photos to take.

Attachments

• Marshall 5010, original condition.jpg
    Marshall 5010, original condition.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Marshalls 2.jpg
    Marshalls 2.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Reaction score
I once lived n the middle of Ohio ......a couple lifetimes ago
Alvis - I have to say that you're the reason I bought these two 5010 amps. I saw one come available at a decent price and did some investigation to see what the consensus was. You were not only one of the most vocal enthusiast for this amp, but your clips made it sound really damn good. So I bought one. It needed work and in trying to get more info on that, I realized that there were several versions of that circuit (thanks for the help goes to @pinkjimiphoton ). And of course, I was curious about how the different circuits sounded and another popped up for sale at a decent (not great) price, and I bought that too...:shrug:

Thanks. I've now rotated these into my main practice/gigging amps.