Headed to Greece in Oct. Any tips?

flyinguitars

Reaction score
Going with my wife as a makeup trip. We were scheduled to go for our 25th but got cancelled due to covid. Greece is now "open" so we're going mid Oct for 9 days.
Flying into Athens and I'm thinking of staying there for a day or two to sightsee and then we are considering Santorini for a couple days and maybe somewhere on the west coast for a couple days.
I may rent a car or street bike to get us to the west coast.
Anyone one have any must see or do places or activities?
Thanks!

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
here's a guide:

at the bottom of the page, they have more pages of stuff to look through.

in the list, #13 sounds interesting, if you could hook up w/ a live concert at the old amphitheatre. Seeing all those old ruins would be interesting, for me. It'd be a trip though, as looking at them, looks like they could fall down any minute, but, then, they've been there for centuries...

for photo moments, try to plan sunsets at nice sites.

BlueX

Reaction score
here's a guide:

in the list, #13 sounds interesting, if you could hook up w/ a live concert at the old amphitheatre.
Good list!

Athens and Santorini are good choices. Parthenon is stunning, and the new museum at that site is great if you're interested in history. The ampitheatres can really make my mind wander away.

If you want a third place, maybe one with less tourists. Just enjoying local food, etc., with your wife of more than 25 years. I'm not up-dated on those locations, but I'll come back on that if I see/hear any recommendations.

Reaction score
I'm headed to Santorini for a few gigs this week! Athens + Santorini is a good plan.

If you go west (and a bit north) a completely different area is Ioannina and Zagorohoria (a city near a lake and some very graphic traditional villages on the mountains around it). You can also find similar scenery on Pelion mountain (which is much closer to Athens, and close to nice beaches too).

flyinguitars

Reaction score
here's a guide:

in the list, #13 sounds interesting, if you could hook up w/ a live concert at the old amphitheatre. Seeing all those old ruins would be interesting, for me. It'd be a trip though, as looking at them, looks like they could fall down any minute, but, then, they've been there for centuries...

for photo moments, try to plan sunsets at nice sites.
Thanks great info!
Good list!

Athens and Santorini are good choices. Parthenon is stunning, and the new museum at that site is great if you're interested in history. The ampitheatres can really make my mind wander away.

If you want a third place, maybe one with less tourists. Just enjoying local food, etc., with your wife of more than 25 years. I'm not up-dated on those locations, but I'll come back on that if I see/hear any recommendations.
Thanks!!
I'm headed to Santorini for a few gigs this week! Athens + Santorini is a good plan.

If you go west (and a bit north) a completely different area is Ioannina and Zagorohoria (a city near a lake and some very graphic traditional villages on the mountains around it). You can also find similar scenery on Pelion mountain (which is much closer to Athens, and close to nice beaches too).
Wow awesome! Will you be playing in Oct? We were thinking about heading west....those two places look great, thanks!
That is def on the list!
Please do not rent a motorcycle in Greece.
Why is the driving crazy there?....maybe a convertible would be a better idea.

rmlevasseur

Reaction score
I did not enjoy most of Greece compared to other countries in the area, but I did find a nice resort town called Agia Galini in the south of Crete that was wonderful. I can still taste the chicken that was literally butchered before my eyes and the fresh feta and olives on the salad... (and the topless beach wasnt bad either)

Latest posts