Guitars with humbuckers and a whammy bar, that also …

Ken Ops

Reaction score
… stay in tune, and let you change strings easily and quickly?

No interest in single coils at all, just for the record.

Brad Barton

Reaction score
Are you asking what our preference is, whammy bar or not? Or which brand do we prefer? I like my whammy bar and like my Schecter Banshee Elite and my new C1 FR-S. The Elite, I rarely have to retune it. The C1 I have to slightly retune it almost every time.

Attachments

• 1000000259.jpg
    1000000259.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 4

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
My Suhr Classic HSS holds tune remarkably well. Same for Tom Anderson Guitarworks. My strat also holds tune very well...and I'm a total wiggle stick wanker. The secret is in a properly cut nut and setup. Locking tuners are a plus too...preferably staggered.

There are good videos on YouTube that show how to keep a strat in tune through wiggle stick wankery.

Of course the ultimate is a double locking FR type, which isn't as hard as some make it out to be.

RLW59

Reaction score
7de31f6c7f345950c1c5a98bd086e405.jpg
Double ball ends aren't the quickest to change because of the 40:1 tuners. But no clamps, no wrenches. And with a locking nut you need to use the bridge's fine tuners, so there's not that much extra tuner twisting.

Last edited:

jmp45

Reaction score
Parker Fly
Locking tuners easy to change strings
Stays in tune .....
View attachment 123778

I second a parker, it's got singles but for quick changes, holding tune, they are hard to beat. My PRS CE 24 and Santana is a quick change, stays in tune no issues. I really like the PRS trems, goldy is getting a lot of play lately.

pnf-1.jpg

ce24-1.jpg

prs-santana-front.jpg

Exotic

Reaction score
1977 ibanez futura with a floyd rose frx double locking trem unit ,
1975 ibanez destroyer with a 1980's kahler locking trem unit complete with hard to find chile pepper tip .
the pickups at the bridge position are dimarzio crunchlabs .

Attachments

• IMG_2305 (Phone).JPG
    IMG_2305 (Phone).JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_2722 (Phone)a.JPG
    IMG_2722 (Phone)a.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 2

Derek S

Reaction score
I've always preferred locking type tremolo equipped guitars (Floyd, Schaller, Lo Pro Edge from Ibanez, etc) for as long as I can remember, a personal pref thing, it's just part of my playing style I suppose (thank you Jeff Beck, Greg Howe, Satriani, Michael Lee Firkins, etc), so much so that I've even scoffed at NON locking trem guitars, I mean to me changing their strings is easy enough and they stay in tune so well that it doesn't make sense to not take advantage of them.

So I was skeptical when I got my Suhr Modern Pro loaded with a Gotoh 510 trem and locking tuners. But that was an eye opener, turned out it works every bit as well as my trusty old Floyd's and is even easier to load fresh strings. Many Charvel's come with the exact same setup now too (Gotoh 510 + locking tuners). I'm no longer a Floyd snob lol.

Charvel-s.jpg

Latest posts