GT el34m Vs r ?

Mcentee2

Reaction score
When I have my jtm50 built it will need a nice pair of tubes so am wading through all the "best" posts on here and around the forums.

So far the el34m from either GT or TAD seem to hit that vintage mark, whereas the other types (B, L, and the Red Bade TAD etc) seem to fit later jcm and DSL type of amps.

However, GT has an el34-r as well that has near enough the same description as the m wherever mentioned - anyone know how this is different and if it's significant ?

Also, of course - happy to accept any direct suggestions for what you think is best suited to that jtm50 Black Flag best tube discussion!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
When I have my jtm50 built it will need a nice pair of tubes so am wading through all the "best" posts on here and around the forums.

So far the el34m from either GT or TAD seem to hit that vintage mark, whereas the other types (B, L, and the Red Bade TAD etc) seem to fit later jcm and DSL type of amps.

However, GT has an el34-r as well that has near enough the same description as the m wherever mentioned - anyone know how this is different and if it's significant ?

Also, of course - happy to accept any direct suggestions for what you think is best suited to that jtm50 Black Flag best tube discussion!
I do like the GT EL34M very much and have been interested in their EL34R which I read have more mids and crunch, the M is very even toned and smooth sounding. If you dont mind spending a little more the Telefunken Black Diamond EL34 reissue I find to be very good. Also a big fan of Chinese tubes from Shuguang but are hard to find right now also Ruby made by Shuguang, I just got lucky and found a quad of Ruby online for my SLP.

Last edited:

purpleplexi

Reaction score
As above. The GT M is my current fave reasonably priced tube. Got them in everything. Also haven't tried the R but might try them next.

Adrian R

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do like the GT EL34M very much and have been interested in their EL34R which I read have more mids and crunch, the M is very even toned and smooth sounding. If you dont mind spending a little more the Telefunken Black Diamond EL34 reissue I find to be very good. Also a big fan of Chinese tubes from Shuguang but are hard to find right now also Ruby made by Shuguang, I just got lucky and found a quad of Ruby online for my SLP.

Shuguang EL-34B is a good sounding tube (Ruby,Sino) etc... Have you ever tried the EH-EL34?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Shuguang EL-34B is a good sounding tube (Ruby,Sino) etc... Have you ever tried the EH-EL34?
Ive had EH EL84's and 12AX7's and didnt like them so stayed away from their EL34's. Back from the dead, good to see you back!

Mcentee2

Reaction score
Good to see all the votes for the el34m :)

Now to choose a brand! GT always get good rep, in the past I have always gone for TAD for preamp and 6v6.

Adrian R

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive had EH EL84's and 12AX7's and didnt like them so stayed away from their EL34's. Back from the dead, good to see you back!

Covid sucked...ugh. I am now paranoid of New Sensor stuff. The Winged Cs I have now sound so much better then any of thr current production product, even the Chinese stuff which I always liked. Out of curiousity, I spent some coin on a quad of Glion KT-77s, they weren't cheap. Initially they sounded fantastic, even better then the Cs...but within a short period of time they started sounding different, and to make matters worst, would *crack* loudly taking my amp off standby emanating a bright spark seen at the standby switch!! I replaced the switch twice thinking it was just the switch...but in the end it was those expensive GL tubes. I was pissed! I hate wasting money. So, I put in the 21 year old pre winged C Svetlanas and everything was fine. Btw..I need to report that those old Svetlanas are of way better quality then any of the current stuff I have, and better construction then the Winged Cs. In your hand you can just see the heavier materials and better attention to detail. The old stuff was better, hands down. I read great things about the EH-EL-34...the reviews are quite good touting vintage tube sound quality...but I am beginning to think that many of these reviews are created by users unaware of the great tubes of the 20th century.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Covid sucked...ugh. I am now paranoid of New Sensor stuff. The Winged Cs I have now sound so much better then any of thr current production product, even the Chinese stuff which I always liked. Out of curiousity, I spent some coin on a quad of Glion KT-77s, they weren't cheap. Initially they sounded fantastic, even better then the Cs...but within a short period of time they started sounding different, and to make matters worst, would *crack* loudly taking my amp off standby emanating a bright spark seen at the standby switch!! I replaced the switch twice thinking it was just the switch...but in the end it was those expensive GL tubes. I was pissed! I hate wasting money. So, I put in the 21 year old pre winged C Svetlanas and everything was fine. Btw..I need to report that those old Svetlanas are of way better quality then any of the current stuff I have, and better construction then the Winged Cs. In your hand you can just see the heavier materials and better attention to detail. The old stuff was better, hands down. I read great things about the EH-EL-34...the reviews are quite good touting vintage tube sound quality...but I am beginning to think that many of these reviews are created by users unaware of the great tubes of the 20th century.
I think alot of these reviews are just marketing so I take them with a grain of salt. I have a pair of winged c in my 2204 and they are good. I found that Chinese tubes are very similar and Telefunken reissue are too, the funkens are good but twice the price of everything else so not for the budget conscious.

Last edited:

Adrian R

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think alot of these reviews are just marketing so I take them with a grain of salt. I have a pair of winged c in my 2204 and they are good. I found that Chinese tubes are very similar and Telefunken reissue are too, the funkens are good but twice the price of everything else so not for the budget conscious.

Aren't those Telefunken RIs just JJs? I tried a pair of Mullard RIs...still have them...low hours... BORING.... Did you see the picture of those real Mullard 34s in the classified section? Just by the picture you can see the quality. And you know what? The pre C Svetlanas I got with my last year 2000 DSL 100 look very similar quality wise. The stuff today from what I have seen with respect to the stuff of the past pales in constructional quality. Those Svets are OLD...bases have darkened from use, but they STILL sound awesome... Shit made in the past was made to last... like most things.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Aren't those Telefunken RIs just JJs? I tried a pair of Mullard RIs...still have them...low hours... BORING.... Did you see the picture of those real Mullard 34s in the classified section? Just by the picture you can see the quality. And you know what? The pre C Svetlanas I got with my last year 2000 DSL 100 look very similar quality wise. The stuff today from what I have seen with respect to the stuff of the past pales in constructional quality. Those Svets are OLD...bases have darkened from use, but they STILL sound awesome... Shit made in the past was made to last... like most things.
Tele RI's are made at the JJ factory but by Tele spec so they dont sound like any JJ I've owned which have been a few, every amp I buy comes with JJ that I hate and get replaced with something better immediately! Ive tried Mullard 12AX7 and they were dull and boring sounding so I stayed away from their EL34's. I'd like to try the current Svetlanas and the GT EL34R.

Adrian R

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tele RI's are made at the JJ factory but by Tele spec so they dont sound like any JJ I've owned which have been a few, every amp I buy comes with JJ that I hate and get replaced with something better immediately! Ive tried Mullard 12AX7 and they were dull and boring sounding so I stayed away from their EL34's. I'd like to try the current Svetlanas and the GT EL34R.

I *use* to like JJ until I really started trying out other tubes. They are better sounding then Sovteks, but aside from that their kinda weird. They definitely have their own thing going on.. and the E34L is a powerful tube, and that might be your thing, but if you like classic British Marshall voicing like I do they just don't have it. For a cheap tube the Shuguang/Sino EL-34B tube sounds far more vintage...more authentic, and I used them for years with no problems... but then I bought this amp with the old Svetlana EL-34 and it blew them away. Totally old school sounding...authentic. I quickly bought some Cs before the price went crazy... Now they want like $150 ea. for them... nutz.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I *use* to like JJ until I really started trying out other tubes. They are better sounding then Sovteks, but aside from that their kinda weird. They definitely have their own thing going on.. and the E34L is a powerful tube, and that might be your thing, but if you like classic British Marshall voicing like I do they just don't have it. For a cheap tube the Shuguang/Sino EL-34B tube sounds far more vintage...more authentic, and I used them for years with no problems... but then I bought this amp with the old Svetlana EL-34 and it blew them away. Totally old school sounding...authentic. I quickly bought some Cs before the price went crazy... Now they want like $150 ea. for them... nutz.
I got lucky, one of the members here replaced his 50 watt amp for a 100 watt and sold me all his pairs of EL34 tubes, I got a pair of Winged C, GT M, Ruby, TAD, I think for like $100, I was psyched! :yesway:

Adrian R

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got lucky, one of the members here replaced his 50 watt amp for a 100 watt and sold me all his pairs of EL34 tubes, I got a pair of Winged C, GT M, Ruby, TAD, I think for like $100, I was psyched! :yesway:

Check these babies out! These are the old Svetlanas I am speaking of. They've got miles on them but they still sound huge... You can see the quality just by looking at them. Oh...um also, do you see that Classictone power transfromer? That thing is kick ass. The quality is excellent..and let me tell you...after jaming gig levels for 3 hours it barely gets warm...almost cold to the touch...just slightly warm. That was their more expensive model...like $140..lol...worth imo WAY more then that...blows away the stock Marshall trannys that were in there. I can't believe they shut their doors... I should have bought a stash of their stuff before they closed. Truly high quality components for reasonable prices.

svetlana.jpg

purpleplexi

Reaction score
I keep trying to convince myself to fork out for some NOS svetlanas. I had a pair - one died - still have the other. I can get them here but ££££££....