Got another Friedman--Smallbox head

Derek S

Reaction score
Where can someone get a copy of this? I know there is a dark cloud of some sort preventing it’s distribution?
I have a few Badlands tracks in MP3 form I've scrounged over the years I could shoot ya if you'd like (though nothing from their debut album sadly).

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I don't have anyway to burn my cd's. I just have my phone/tablet.

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Youtube:
it's not like the actual album: Bandlands Released May 11, 1989

I've got this CD in my car's player since I bought the car 2014. I just don't get tired of it. I play my Ozzys Barnyard too but I get regular fixes of that BL's guitar tone and playing. My fav Jake playing/tone. Not to say his other stuff doesn't rock.

My first taste was cassette format. Wore it out. Unplayable.:D

MGW1GTR

Reaction score
I've got this CD in my car's player since I bought the car 2014. I just don't get tired of it. I play my Ozzys Barnyard too but I get regular fixes of that BL's guitar tone and playing. My fav Jake playing/tone. Not to say his other stuff doesn't rock.

My first taste was cassette format. Wore it out. Unplayable.:D
I'll tell you I remember when Jake was in RATT just before Warren (early San Diego California dayzzzzz).

jeffb

Reaction score
I just don't trust el84 tubes. Unlike the big bottles, they seem to me to get 'angry' sounding rather than filling out when pushed. As I said however I have no real experience with the PT, only low volume riffage in a store.
It doesn't matter what amp- El84s sound like crushed glass when pushed. Some just compress nicer than others.

jeffb

Reaction score
As far as Badlands, you can listen to the first 2 albums on the yoootobz. There was a third album also, and that one is mired in all kinds of legal issues. Buddy of mine said it's extremely difficult to find. And then of course Ray died not long after (part of the legal issues, but not all of it)

I still have my CDs from BITD, Unlike most I'm partial to Voodoo Highway vs. the 1st album. I did not like the overall production of the first album- too "80s"- especially the drums. Voodoo Highway sounds like it was recorded in 1976. That said, one of the few bands who delivered a near perfect debut, and really upped their game on the sophomore effort.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
There’s a 20w Friedman JEL on the horizon apparently , just as a matter of interest speaking of Jake .

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what amp- El84s sound like crushed glass when pushed. Some just compress nicer than others.
Try an ac30 if you ever opportunity, a proper 61-64 JMI , you will think differently after . Dave Friedman insists that el84’s hold up aswell as el34’s and sound just as big . According to him it’s all in the circuit design etc around them .

jeffb

Reaction score
Try an ac30 if you ever opportunity, a proper 61-64 JMI , you will think differently after . Dave Friedman insists that el84’s hold up aswell as el34’s and sound just as big . According to him it’s all in the circuit design etc around them .
I've played early 60s 15s and 30s, my Guitar mentor was a collector of vintage gear (before vintage gear became huge in the 90s) I'm not a big fan of Vox amps/the Vox sound.

And respectfully I don't agree with Dave. I've played his El84 amps- not the same. You can't turn an apple into an orange just cos you use a different recipe.

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@ tallcoolone look forward to hearing how the SB does live if you use it.:agreed:

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I've played early 60s 15s and 30s, my Guitar mentor was a collector of vintage gear (before vintage gear became huge in the 90s) I'm not a big fan of Vox amps/the Vox sound.

And respectfully I don't agree with Dave. I've played his El84 amps- not the same. You can't turn an apple into an orange just cos you use a different recipe.
There’s many a recorded guitar on classic rock songs assumed to be Marshall’s that were in fact ac30’s , that’s how much difference there is .

MGW1GTR

Reaction score
My fav Jake music and tones is his Badlands sound. Specifically the first CD.:drool:
Hay Joe, here's a little goofing-around Riff I just did a moment ago, just for fun...(It's not Jake's tone but I was using my BE-100) kind of in the Friedman family, inspiration by the sea.

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hay Joe, here's a little goofing-around Riff I just did a moment ago, just for fun...(It's not Jake's tone but I was using my BE-100) kind of in the Friedman family, inspiration by the sea.

:eddie::agreed:

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
every time i see the title of this thread i get happy for you all over again TCO.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@ tallcoolone look forward to hearing how the SB does live if you use it.:agreed:
I did use it at an outdoor public park gig in Boston a few weeks ago--I love the dirt channel but I didn't like the way the shared EQ worked out for cleans. Been playing the TS all week and I think that's the keeper out of the two if a decision needs to be made. I picked up an Archer Clean from JRockett and it sits very nicely in front--tightens everything up, adds punch, cut and clank.

every time i see the title of this thread i get happy for you all over again TCO.
Congrats on your new awesome amp!! I have the SB 50 combo and absolutely love it!
You guys are great--I love this stuff but no one else cares haha!

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did use it at an outdoor public park gig in Boston a few weeks ago--I love the dirt channel but I didn't like the way the shared EQ worked out for cleans. Been playing the TS all week and I think that's the keeper out of the two if a decision needs to be made. I picked up an Archer Clean from JRockett and it sits very nicely in front--tightens everything up, adds punch, cut and clank.

You guys are great--I love this stuff but no one else cares haha!
That Archer pedal sounds like something I’d want. punchy tight clank.

Latest posts