Got another Friedman--Smallbox head

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice thread! I was on the fence as to whether I would buy the SB or a BE100d earlier this year and just bought the BE100 (got a good deal on a new one) but I certainly like that SB. Looking forward to your assessment on that amp when gigging out and about with it.
In my head the SB and BE were close to the same amp. I was wrong--I haven't played a newer one but this is much less modern than the old BE modded 1959x I had years back.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
In my head the SB and BE were close to the same amp. I was wrong--I haven't played a newer one but this is much less modern than the old BE modded 1959x I had years back.
Really like my Runt 50 head it’s great , but my ultimate goal is to get small box head sometime fairly soon . Although all the BE channels on Friedman amps are ‘ essentially all the same ‘ pre amp circuit they do all sound different from model to model for varying reasons . Anyway , what I would like to know is have you tried playing the small box using Jake E Lee settings yet ?

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Really like my Runt 50 head it’s great , but my ultimate goal is to get small box head sometime fairly soon . Although all the BE channels on Friedman amps are ‘ essentially all the same ‘ pre amp circuit they do all sound different from model to model for varying reasons . Anyway , what I would like to know is have you tried playing the small box using Jake E Lee settings yet ?
No but tell me more…?

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well , apparently before the JEL was born Jake used the small box head live . He used the ‘plexi’ channel everything dimed , for his bark at the moon type sound , lol .
I watched Jake do a gear vid and he had his new Friedman sig heads. He said he dimes them too.LOL

MGW1GTR

Reaction score
I watched Jake do a gear vid and he had his new Friedman sig heads. He said he dimes them too.LOL
Jake really liked the Small Box "Wide-Opened" though his Signature amp is a 100w version. During the '80s Jake used JCM800's 2203 (at one point "Jose" modified).
US Festival '83.....
23yq549l.jpg
RgmW1acl.jpg

Last edited:

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jake really liked the Small Box "Wide-Opened" though his Signature amp is a 100w version. During the '80s Jake used JCM800's 2203 (at one point "Jose" modified).
US Festival '83.....
23yq549l.jpg
RgmW1acl.jpg
My fav Jake music and tones is his Badlands sound. Specifically the first CD.:drool:

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My fav Jake music and tones is his Badlands sound. Specifically the first CD.:drool:
Where can someone get a copy of this? I know there is a dark cloud of some sort preventing it’s distribution?
Oh and Congratz tallcoolone!

Nice amp.:agreed:
Thanks brutha! Yeah I really like it, not what I expected in a good way.

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where can someone get a copy of this? I know there is a dark cloud of some sort preventing it’s distribution?

Thanks brutha! Yeah I really like it, not what I expected in a good way.
I got mine from amazon. Bought it used but in mint condition for $20. Some sellers were asking $60 to $100. Really sux it can't just be bought like any other music CD. Didn't find it in streaming or digital format. Got mine about 12 years ago. Also got Voodoo Highway.

I play the shit out of it. Don't get tired of that tone and playing. Love the tunes.

Last edited:

MGW1GTR

Reaction score
I do know what you mean, it's much more "Heavy Sounding" and up front during his Badlands period though some of Jake's Ozzy days, I thought his guitar was a little "buried" compared to Randy and Zack (within the engineering).
I did have a JEL Signature for a couple of months and thought it was a great amp, kind of like a 2203 with added gain to plexi like, but I already had a BE-100 that Dave and I worked on together, that easily covered JEL, Naked, Phil-X etc.

I also feel that your "Iconic" can cover a lot of the same tones and more (not just copying Eddie's tone) I also had a Wizard MCII EL34 100w version, I didn't get into (far from Marshall tones) my BE-100 is way more musical,
and I can adjust the compression (variable-response control rather than "3-way fixed-position") down to zero or up to Neal Schon long vocal-like legato style compression, Dave is a great designer.....

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the low gain channel everything dimed? I'll try it right now
I tried this BTW and while cool, I can get the same tone or even a little more pleasing to my ear using the dirt channel backed off. And that tone sounds incredible with a boost in front, which makes it a 3 channel amp

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
same say that dave agrees that the PT is his greatest creation.
I just don't trust el84 tubes. Unlike the big bottles, they seem to me to get 'angry' sounding rather than filling out when pushed. As I said however I have no real experience with the PT, only low volume riffage in a store.

Latest posts