Got another Friedman--Smallbox head

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Traded my Bogner Helios 50 for a Smallbox today. Loved the Helios hot channel but it was too gainy for me across the dial. Really a stand alone, no pedal in front rock tone and I like incorporating OD pedals for different tones. Quick SB review I love that it can do a lower gain and has an actual clean channel to switch to. More to follow we have a pretty big gig next Sat in Boston I think I'm going to use it.

sb.jpg

steveb63

Reaction score
Traded my Bogner Helios 50 for a Smallbox today. Loved the Helios hot channel but it was too gainy for me across the dial. Really a stand alone, no pedal in front rock tone and I like incorporating OD pedals for different tones. Quick SB review I love that it can do a lower gain and has an actual clean channel to switch to. More to follow we have a pretty big gig next Sat in Boston I think I'm going to use it.

View attachment 111807
You sure have some nice shelves sir.

Love the way you decorated them. :thumbs:

I'm sure that new box sounds great, especially with you playing through it.

HNAD.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats! You certainly have some nice options there!
I should sell the EVH and Orange--I really don't ever play them. But I love being able to every once in a while be able to plug in and get a taste of high gain. The Friedman's are both relatively tame really gain wide. They respond so well to OD boxes that running them at 1:00 gain turns into a glorious grind with a Klone or EP preamp in front. So far the SB is a bit more aggressive and the Twin Sister/Dirty Shirley does clean and low fi crunch better. Both gain channels take ODs great as I already said lol--that is super important to me

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Nope. I would imagine I'd find it a little tubby--I don't usually like tube rectified amps. I put a SS plug in the Twin Sister and while subtle was an improvement IMO
yeah ive not been to to impressed with the demo's ive watched so far but again you know how demos go.

EJstrat&JVM

Reaction score
Congrats. You have a great collection. Can you confirm these points?
-SmallBox during gig volume responds better than DirtyShirley.
-Smallbox has less hiss/hum than Marshall studios SV20/SC20.
-Smallbox has a better master volume than Marshall studios.
-Smallbox is as raw and open as a Marshall.
-Smallbox is so far the best Friedman amp.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats. You have a great collection. Can you confirm these points?
-SmallBox during gig volume responds better than DirtyShirley.
I won’t play the SB live until next week but I don’t know what you mean by “responds”? Played the Shirley live Sat and it sounded and felt fantastic.
-Smallbox has less hiss/hum than Marshall studios SV20/SC20.
I don’t think the SV/SC hum excessively at all. So far I’ve found the SB pretty quiet as well. Both amps will have some noise with the gain up and/or an OD in front but so do all tube amps
-Smallbox has a better master volume than Marshall studios.
I don’t find either Friedman to be low volume amps—they are made to play loudly. The masters do the job but I would def recommend the SC20 over either Friedman for apartment/low volume playing.
-Smallbox is as raw and open as a Marshall.
In no way shape or form is this true.
-Smallbox is so far the best Friedman amp
I don’t know what “best” means.

jchrisf

Reaction score

View attachment 111807
Is the Smallbox Dave's answer to the JCM 800?

Spooky88

Reaction score
Nice thread! I was on the fence as to whether I would buy the SB or a BE100d earlier this year and just bought the BE100 (got a good deal on a new one) but I certainly like that SB. Looking forward to your assessment on that amp when gigging out and about with it.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats tallcoolone, excellent choice, HNAD!

@jchrisf...the SB 50 (stock form anyway *they offer an additional gain boost model via a toggle) has approx 3x the gain of a stock a 800.
I 100% thought the same thing but after putting several hours on it I would cut that gain boost in half. And it's much more a 1987 feel and tone which makes sense it is 50w and it's called "smallbox". More grunt and kerrang, less snarl. OMG I sound like a tool lol

Latest posts