Gibson to Fender - Neck Profiles

ShatteredVitreous

Reaction score
Evening all

I have never owned a Fender, and have always been a Gibson man. However, I am looking to add a new guitar to the collection, whilst I would love to have another Gibson, I feel something with a little more of a tone difference may be best.

But my question is this.

I own a Gibson Standard with a nice big 50s neck. I am considering this fender:

1674586745415.png

I love the look of the guitar, the pickup HSS set, and a nice trem. This guitar has the Augmented D neck profile. For those who have played an Augmented D, how does it compare to the feel of a 50s Gibson Standard neck?

Thank you

Mike

Eric'45

Reaction score
I'm also a fan of the good ol' Baseball Bat Profile.
My guess would be you should look for a Guitar with a "C"- Neck Profile. Be aware that a Fender will most likely have a narrower Fingerboard, too. Guessing how a Neckprofile will feel to your Hands is a bit tricky. The good thing is, you can change the Neck on those Fenders!

Tincup

Reaction score
Maybe this will help. I do know fender has a few models with 1.675 nut widths. You may have to do some searching, and bring your wallet, most of the wider nuts are American made. I bet the guitar you posted has more of a shredder feel to it. 659D1CF0-8B8B-47AF-93EA-C17B5DFE5283.jpeg E9594889-7D1B-4708-BC95-E33FDE5D28C1.jpeg

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I own a Gibson Standard with a nice big 50s neck.
I am a "big neck" guy myself and with Fenders I have resorted to rolling my own. The only what I would call "acceptable" necks girth wise I've tried from Fender have been from the custom shop and always seem to be bolted to $3500 instruments. The old Jeff Beck sig had a great neck until they changed it.

Shameless excuse to post my DIY's-built every one of these for less than $12-1300. All but the Dragon tele are MJT nitro finishes and either Warmoth Fatback profile (top) or SRO-FAT AllParts licensed necks. It takes patience but it is fun spec'ing everything out yourself. I do pay a guy a few hundy to assemble but I'm stingy with my free time ;)

If you find that model does have some girth, please report back!

Fenders.jpg

DirtySteve

VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't forget about the difference in scale length and fretboard radius, that makes a huge difference to me. On my T-style builds I went with short scale conversion necks with 12" fb radius from Warmoth so they are closer to a Gibson neck.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I'm into the larger necks as well. Out of all the Fender stuff I've tried, the Richie Kotzen Telecaster might have their largest profile.

It's got that "C" profile, 12" radius and jumbo frets. It's right up my alley and I'd probably get one if I had the cash.

Latest posts