Gibson Sonex 180

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Its okay man as we all have our favorites and preferences . I probably would have been offended if I had a financial stake or skin in the game as I don't it's all good :)
there are others but the top 4 or 5 were made by Gibson.

Scallywag77

Reaction score
I had two of these back in the late 90’s a black one and a white one. Got them dirt cheap in the early days of eBay. They had zebra humbuckets with a coil split switch and bolt on necks. They weren’t horrible and worked for punk. I didn’t hold on to then too long though. Got a Les Paul Jr for a steal and I sold them to our lead guitarist for a backup guitar. I honestly don’t remember much about them. They were comfortable to play and mine didn’t weigh all that much.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Super cheap low line Gibson models made with MDF bodies. From the early 1980s.

AVOID.

Sounds like a type of fiberglass.

Wow $750 in 1981. No wonder noboby bought them.
I saw this on the Wiki link for what it's worth.

They were made from a synthetic material called Resonwood, and manufactured with Multi-phonic body construction.
..body is composed of Resonwood surrounding an inner tone wood core. The tone wood core not only acts as the anchor point for the neck, it also adds acoustic resonance and exceptional body resilience.

Eeeeeew

Mrmadd

Reaction score
I got one and still have it. Plays nice, fast neck, and tone is killer with neck pickup.
May not be the 'end all' guitar, but not bad for an afternoon. Came with original case. Black.
Paid 200 or 300 in the 1990s

These were made in 1980 and 1981 to combat the flood of cheap guitars coming from China etc.
Ibanez had just placed on the market a copy Les Paul to which Gibson quickly drew a lawsuit.

Surely no top line Les Paul, but several guitars made at later dates have been constructed in similar fashion.

Enjoy and make some loud noise. Buy another Marshall today!

10kDA

Reaction score
When Gibson bulldozered the Fireturd X guitars, I cheered. Those were SO bad, they could only hurt Gibson's reputation even more. It was a waste of a lot of wood and a lot of good hardware and electronics but the guitar design was SO bad.
If a manufacturer (of anything) does something like this, the motive usually has something to do with the harm they feel the product will do to their reputation. So they may have figured that if they had donated them, any kid playing one of these things starting out would look at a different mfr when it was time to move up.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
The Sonex was intended to be Gibson's cheapest at the time. (Today, we have 99 dollar Maestros, which sometimes turn out to be amazingly good instruments...go figure. :hmm:

The Firebird X wasn't cheap but it was just a collection of BAD IDEAS all wrapped up in one. It was a dumpster fire full of flaming shit sandwiches. The only thing I find regrettable about them being crushed was that....OK, two things....I didn't get to drive the excavator myself, and they could have salvaged the hardware and at least used it to support repairs even if they couldn't have used them again on new instruments. (I think there is a legal issue with that. )

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
I got one and still have it. Plays nice, fast neck, and tone is killer with neck pickup.
May not be the 'end all' guitar, but not bad for an afternoon. Came with original case. Black.
Paid 200 or 300 in the 1990s

These were made in 1980 and 1981 to combat the flood of cheap guitars coming from China etc.
Ibanez had just placed on the market a copy Les Paul to which Gibson quickly drew a lawsuit.

Surely no top line Les Paul, but several guitars made at later dates have been constructed in similar fashion.

Enjoy and make some loud noise. Buy another Marshall today!

I haven't owned one but tried one here and there. The best I can recall, they were really heavy. This is only from memory though. The heavy weight would be a downside for me.

You gotta keep in mind, I also like oddball Gibson's from the Norlin Era. They are not all crap as people made them out to be. Some are damn good. Others are duds. Same as any other guitar company.

I owned a 1976 Gibson s-1 back in high school that was modified with Dimarzio Super Distortions. I still wished I owned that one. It was $175 in the '90's.

I also still own my 1983 Gibson Corvus. It was purchased as a new old stock guitar in 1995. It had never been played complete with hang tags. I swapped pickups and sanded the neck bare. Today it is quite beat up. I've worn the frets completely out on it. I'll have them replaced one day. It's been gigged hard. I can say it's been a great guitar and the tuning stability has always been spot on.

Some of of us just like stuff that is out of the box.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
I remember when that happened, and it still irks me as much today as it did then. They have a right to do as they wish, but I bet they could have earned a lot of good will had they donated them to school music programs. Could have changed the lives of a lot of kids. Sad.
I believe the electronics could catch fire spontaneously in those guitars.

PelliX

Reaction score
I believe the electronics could catch fire spontaneously in those guitars.

I can't imagine that being correct, but if it were... they could simply call it "Hendrix inspired" or "as demonstrated by KISS"... Gibson would see the $$ there! :)

Latest posts