Gibson Sonex 180

jeffb

Reaction score
As I recall in the early 80s... not well thought of in the least. It was a last ditch Norlin effort to produce cheap/affordable guitars that looked kinda like a Les Paul. Of course this was an extremely bad time for Gibson as everyone and their mother was moving on to shredsticks post VH. Pretty sure they were the only Gibson guitar that came with the Velvet Brick humbuckers. ( edit- Nope, looks like a few other guitars came with those)

I remember seeing them hanging for YEARS in the new and used sections of my local and not so local shops. I picked one up a time or two, but they felt like a cheap 60s Japanese "toy" guitar compared to a Les Paul or Explorer (not anything like the better MIJ guitars of the late 70s/80s)

jeffb

Reaction score
Sounds like a type of fiberglass.

Wow $750 in 1981. No wonder noboby bought them.
Where did you see that price? That's not what they sold for back then, and the link above even states what they were listed at release per Gibson.

Edit- OK I see that is for an Artisan model. That was not your everyday Sonex, just like Artisan Les Paul's and other models. They were much more expensive than standards, customs, etc.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
I recall my friends and I laughing at those when they came out. Don't know anyone who ever bought one.
Your friends were right! I bought one off CL many years ago and it was a horrible guitar. Everything that could be done wrong was done wrong. The pickups were anemic and the sound brittle. The body was too heavy and the guitar unbalanced. The neck was terrible. It had a few unusual tone options, as I recollect. I kept it about six months and then sold it. Truly an awful guitar. If you've ever read Steve Martin's essay about the Cruel Shoes, you'll understand that this was the Cruel Guitar.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Where did you see that price? That's not what they sold for back then, and the link above even states what they were listed at release per Gibson.

Edit- OK I see that is for an Artisan model. That was not your everyday Sonex, just like Artisan Les Paul's and other models. They were much more expensive than standards, customs, etc.
jeff dont miss shit guys.

junk notes

Reaction score
Pretty sure it's because there crap

Gibson showed the world that these guitars were crap too, lucky for Sonex - it survived the wrath of a bulldozer.
GuitarBreaking-480x270.jpg

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Gibson showed the world that these guitars were crap too, lucky for Sonex - it survived the wrath of a bulldozer.

I remember when that happened, and it still irks me as much today as it did then. They have a right to do as they wish, but I bet they could have earned a lot of good will had they donated them to school music programs. Could have changed the lives of a lot of kids. Sad.

jeffb

Reaction score
jeff dont miss shit guys.
I wish that were true.

I just hate questioning someone else's post and not doing all the research I should have before doing so.

And I was still wrong- it was an Artist model, not an Artisan, but pricing increase and reasoning holds true. I never saw the Artist model, only the cheap ones.

That red Sonex at the link kinda reminds me of my old Starla Core
DSC01652.jpg

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
When Gibson bulldozered the Fireturd X guitars, I cheered. Those were SO bad, they could only hurt Gibson's reputation even more. It was a waste of a lot of wood and a lot of good hardware and electronics but the guitar design was SO bad.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Sonex didn't make the cut for the bulldozer . The Firebird X did . What a waste , like Gibson couldn't donate them to poor inner city schools music programs ? Maybe build future sales from kids picking up the instrument and taking lessons and then wanting to buy a proper Gibson ?

El Gringo

Reaction score
i hate to say it but the guitars ive hated most were made by Gibson at some point.
well 99% of them. none of which were les pauls.
Its okay man as we all have our favorites and preferences . I probably would have been offended if I had a financial stake or skin in the game as I don't it's all good :)