Gibson R4 question

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
So I fell in love with the look of this guitar and I’m intrigued by it but have questions.
I love p90s and the ones in my tribute special are amazing.

What kinda p90s would a custom shop R4 have? I assume lower output. 50s wiring also.

Also the finish. I see loads of gold tops pictured and for sale and documented so I wondered was this the finish from the factory? What finish is this? It’s listed a burst flame top? Clearly that’s a plain top with a beautiful pattern but not a flame imo. What colour would you say?

This is what I think a guitar should look like. Thing of beauty 😍
If I ever choose to spend big bucks it’ll be this setup. Wrap around bridge, p90s and a plain top with beautiful lines

Here is the guitar.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
I thought maybe honeyburst but couldn’t find anywhere online saying Gibson released in this finish?

El Gringo

Reaction score
One thing Gibson has been known to do is change the labels or terms it uses for colors , besides dropping colors the past few years and giving the consumer less choices . Gibson is really good at this . I forgot to mention that colors that were dropped can still be had going thru there Made 2 Measure program and all it costs are big $ .

Last edited:

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Gibson uses the same p90s across the board
The ones in my 54 reissue were nothing out of the ordinary....8.1k range

Wildeman

Reaction score
Well, the finish looks factory to me, I've seen a CS ES 295 with a similar burst, both guitars were only offered in gold originally. I've seen real goldtops that, when you held it in the right light, you could see the top was flamed to death under the paint.

Vinsanitizer

Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
So I fell in love with the look of this guitar and I’m intrigued by it but have questions.
I love p90s and the ones in my tribute special are amazing.

What kinda p90s would a custom shop R4 have? I assume lower output. 50s wiring also.

Also the finish. I see loads of gold tops pictured and for sale and documented so I wondered was this the finish from the factory? What finish is this? It’s listed a burst flame top? Clearly that’s a plain top with a beautiful pattern but not a flame imo. What colour would you say?

This is what I think a guitar should look like. Thing of beauty 😍
If I ever choose to spend big bucks it’ll be this setup. Wrap around bridge, p90s and a plain top with beautiful lines

Here is the guitar.

Well it's not a cherryburst, it's not a lightburst, darkburst or bourbonburst, it's not a sunrise teaburst, so that pretty much leaves... ice teaburst or honeyburst? Are there any indications in the control cavity? If nothing else, they're usually at least marked for the model year.

How's the intonation all the way up the neck without an actual bridge?

vanceen

Reaction score
Well it's not a cherryburst, it's not a lightburst, darkburst or bourbonburst, it's not a sunrise teaburst, so that pretty much leaves... ice teaburst or honeyburst? Are there any indications in the control cavity? If nothing else, they're usually at least marked for the model year.

How's the intonation all the way up the neck without an actual bridge?

I don't have one of these, but I have something very much like it. A 1973 '58 special', which is actually a reissue of the 54 LP - gold top, P90s, no adustable bridge.

The intonation has always been fine, both with the original tailpiece and with a substitute I put on that is supposed to be compensated. And I'm picky about intonation.

The P90s in it were good, but I replaced them with Kinmans when one finally failed. The Kinmans are much better than the original.

Latest posts