Votes: 15 71.4%
  • PRS Torero SE EMG Floyd Rose

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

PelliX

Reaction score
Hey you west users any tough

Not a clue there, mate... :confused:

Anyhow, big difference across the range of PRS. The cheaper ones are made in Indonesia by Cor-Tek (Cort). Arguably one of the worst mass production guitar manufacturers in the world. I recently picked up (not as in bought, just picked up and played) one of their acoustics. It was a bad joke until I saw it was MIC on the back of the heastock, then only the price was a bad joke. It's really a brand that doesn't say anything - it's about the exact one you're looking at. Some are solid gold, too.

V-man

Reaction score
Neither.

Don't care for Gothics, don't have any use for EMGs. Dont' care much for PRS SEs, either. Don't have much use for a trem, least of all a Floyd. I have one Floyd guitar, and it almost never leaves the case.

Give me a Les Paul Classic or Standard, any day.
More or less, this.

I owned a flying V Goth. They suck on the sole basis that that stupid fucking matte finish wears glossy making you look like you had a jam right after a furious dick-beating session w too much lube, or you got into the family size bag of Lay’s Potato Chips with a vengeance. It is also worth mentioning, the LP is a Studio, which means no binding and is slightly thinner. I Got a 90’ Studio with Ebony board, which serves as my LP and is Superior IMO to a Goth in similar overall condition.

Nevertheless, given my newfound affinity for Studios, I would consider the Goth knowing what I know about the finish if it sold in line with Studio prices, seeing how Ebony boards are harder to get ahold of on certain models, especially LPs past a certain year. The blessing/curse of these Studio variant runs (depending ln which side of the bargaining table you sit on) is they can sell for more of a premium to the niche crowd if the market is firm enough. Knowing what I know, I would consider a Goth but would get an Ebony Studio w ebony board over it in a heartbeat if the prices were similar.

As for PRS, fine guitars, I hear but do nothing for me like Fenders, so I can’t comment other than I wouldn’t be interested in anything I couldn’t easily flip for more $

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I don't care for PRS pickups very much. But put your favorite set of humbuckers into a USA made PRS and you will be a happy man. That's pretty much the point of the guitar in my avatar. (Which is not a PRS. I built it.) It has consistently been one of my two favorite guitars since I made it ten years ago.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I voted for the PRS, because I have never played the Gibson.
I'm a Les Paul fan, and my R8 is my all time favourite, but Gibson guitars can be hit- and- miss.
Just think of it: Gibson can build the best or the worst Guitar any given day. In my experience, that's true, even though I admit to be a Gibson Fan. If you play that particular LP, and it's amazing, chances are you will find none that you like better.
But PRS are also killer guitars and the SE models are great value for the money. If I wouldn't be able to play either one, I'd jump on the PRS in a Heartbeat.
Truer words were never spoken. Honestly I think this is why Gibson gets such passionate detractors. You need to play a Gibson in person and this angers people. Entitled twats lol

Ken Ops

Reaction score
Don’t like active pickups. But based on nothing much, get the Gibson. Probably sell for more when you upgrade/sidegrade, haha.

If I was in the market for a guitar with EMGs, I would probably be looking at Schecter or a similar kind of brand. FWIW.

Eric'45

Reaction score
Truer words were never spoken. Honestly I think this is why Gibson gets such passionate detractors. You need to play a Gibson in person and this angers people. Entitled twats lol
It is my honest opinion. But I gotta say it once again: I have personally never encountered that Nightmare Gibson with terrible quality everyone seems to talk about. I like to believe there are some turds, but I have never had a bad Gibson in my Hands.
Ok, got the Gibby..,
Good choice, and tell us more about it. Do you like it, so far?

PaulHikeS2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I voted for the PRS - I have a couple GLPs and like them a lot, but I'd like to own a PRS too. Played a friends PRS S2 (?) for a couple hours recently and it was a fine guitar.

Then I read you got the Gibson - cool. Do you have it yet and got any pics? HNGD!

KidBlast

Reaction score
Not really a PRS lover.. and I don't really like active pickups so the EMGs would be out too

so as you see. I'm no help what so ever!

good luck in the hunt tho...

kebek

Reaction score
It is my honest opinion. But I gotta say it once again: I have personally never encountered that Nightmare Gibson with terrible quality everyone seems to talk about. I like to believe there are some turds, but I have never had a bad Gibson in my Hands.

Good choice, and tell us more about it. Do you like it, so far?
Yes the tone is great, my first EMG but missing the floyd… ebony fretboard is nice, i have full classics and others

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Actual truth. I've never had a bad Gibson, either. Not even played one in a music store. Even the worst was pretty darned good.

However, I've also never yet found a Gibson that was the equal of any USA made PRS with regard to fit and finish and attention to all the little details. That does not mean the PRS was a better instrument. I think the standard American PRS finish is too thick. I don't like it. Yeah, it's perfectly smooth and glassy (forget satin finishes, I hate them) and looks like it's a mile deep, but that's because it's about a mile deep. Way too much finish build for my tastes. I know why they do it that way, it's so they get almost zero sand-thrus and need to fix them in production, but it's still a thick heavy finish.

All things considered, for tone and feel I'd still prefer most Gibsons to most PRS guitars.

I've gained a great appreciation for USA made Hamers from the early years of Hamer. They were really nothing less than certain Gibson guitars built with a PRS level of quality to them. They were ALL THAT.

Vinsanitizer

Seven Seven Seven
VIP Member
Reaction score
Neither.

Don't care for Gothics, don't have any use for EMGs. Dont' care much for PRS SEs, either. Don't have much use for a trem, least of all a Floyd. I have one Floyd guitar, and it almost never leaves the case.

Give me a Les Paul Classic or Standard, any day.
+1

Also consider a Traditional, and if these three aren't within your budget, try a Gibson Tribute model.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I have my own. I built it in 2001. It's a sunburst Standard with Nashville hardware and includes a TP-6 fine tuning tailpiece, which I love and always use in place of a conventional stop bar. It will compare head to head with most any LP Gibson ever made, for tone and playability.

It's not my most perfect guitar in terms of workmanship, I was still in my early period at the time. In fact it was the second guitar I built from scratch. But it's right where it counts!

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
If you don't own a Les Paul, then you are in for a second Les Paul without EMGs, and the passive probuckers or whatever are in them. I have an LP with EMGs and an Epiphone LP with the passives. Different sounding guitars.

Then you are probably in for a third guitar not unlike that PRS because while LP's sound great they are heavy guitars and that eventually just makes you want something else not as heavy for playing from time to time. That is why the SG was invented. It was supposed to be a lighter LP but Les didn't like it so they didn't put his name on it.

The PRS looks lighter which is why I like it more today, but maybe the LP next week. Just how it goes I suppose.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
I have option to get
Gibson Les Paul Gothic 2 EMG or
PRS Torero SE EMG Floyd Rose
You prefer choice is?
Why if possible
This is not a choice. There is no alternative to a Les Paul (IMHO). I've owned a half dozen Les Pauls and three PRS guitars. No contest between a Les Paul Standard and a PRS. If you're talking custom shop, tight might be a different story...

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
If you don't own a Les Paul, then you are in for a second Les Paul without EMGs, and the passive probuckers or whatever are in them. I have an LP with EMGs and an Epiphone LP with the passives. Different sounding guitars.

Then you are probably in for a third guitar not unlike that PRS because while LP's sound great they are heavy guitars and that eventually just makes you want something else not as heavy for playing from time to time. That is why the SG was invented. It was supposed to be a lighter LP but Les didn't like it so they didn't put his name on it.

The PRS looks lighter which is why I like it more today, but maybe the LP next week. Just how it goes I suppose.
Excellent point about the weight. PRS guitars are definitely lighter, but the Les Paul Classic Lite is a fantastic guitar and weighs much less than a Standard. I have two and that's all I play these days...

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
More or less, this.

I owned a flying V Goth. They suck on the sole basis that that stupid fucking matte finish wears glossy making you look like you had a jam right after a furious dick-beating session w too much lube, or you got into the family size bag of Lay’s Potato Chips with a vengeance. It is also worth mentioning, the LP is a Studio, which means no binding and is slightly thinner. I Got a 90’ Studio with Ebony board, which serves as my LP and is Superior IMO to a Goth in similar overall condition.

Nevertheless, given my newfound affinity for Studios, I would consider the Goth knowing what I know about the finish if it sold in line with Studio prices, seeing how Ebony boards are harder to get ahold of on certain models, especially LPs past a certain year. The blessing/curse of these Studio variant runs (depending ln which side of the bargaining table you sit on) is they can sell for more of a premium to the niche crowd if the market is firm enough. Knowing what I know, I would consider a Goth but would get an Ebony Studio w ebony board over it in a heartbeat if the prices were similar.

As for PRS, fine guitars, I hear but do nothing for me like Fenders, so I can’t comment other than I wouldn’t be interested in anything I couldn’t easily flip for more $
Several excellent points here. IME, though, LP Studios are quite hit and miss and I've played quite a few duds. PRS guitars are nice but the ones made outside of the US are very hit and miss and can be frankly awful. You said you cannot play either guitar but if you're gonna drop ten bills on a guitar, it seems you should at least get to play it. Also, active EMG pickups make a guitar sound very different from passive ones.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Actual truth. I've never had a bad Gibson, either. Not even played one in a music store. Even the worst was pretty darned good.

However, I've also never yet found a Gibson that was the equal of any USA made PRS with regard to fit and finish and attention to all the little details. That does not mean the PRS was a better instrument. I think the standard American PRS finish is too thick. I don't like it. Yeah, it's perfectly smooth and glassy (forget satin finishes, I hate them) and looks like it's a mile deep, but that's because it's about a mile deep. Way too much finish build for my tastes. I know why they do it that way, it's so they get almost zero sand-thrus and need to fix them in production, but it's still a thick heavy finish.

All things considered, for tone and feel I'd still prefer most Gibsons to most PRS guitars.

I've gained a great appreciation for USA made Hamers from the early years of Hamer. They were really nothing less than certain Gibson guitars built with a PRS level of quality to them. They were ALL THAT.
Hamer US made awesome guitars! Had a Sunburst and sold it. Biggest regret ever.

Latest posts