G12t-75 Mixed With?

Cliffmmt

Reaction score
Hey everyone. So I have peavey xxx cab that I swapped 2 of the speakers out of for g12t-75s a while back. Added some low end and opened it up a wee bit but now I'm finally looking to get the other 2 sheffields out of there.

I was wondering what speakers other than v30s would be good to mix in there. I'll mainly be playing older 70s/80s punk stuff and metal ranging from just old school to doom and some thrash so I'm not looking for that super tight downtuned or djenty sound.

clutch71

Reaction score
I had 2 5150 cabs with an x pattern of G12T75's and Sheffields that are long gone but I wish I had kept one 5150 cab with that combination of speakers. Anywho, I agree with others about "greenbacks" as a nice mix because of the 97db rating will match up nicely. I do recommend the use of G12EVH because they are cheaper than the Heritage G12M. G12M65 Creambacks are also 97 DB but in my experience are pretty tight so may not be to your liking based on your post.

V30/G12T75 are popular and I have used the combination, but it was not my personal favorite.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hey everyone. So I have peavey xxx cab that I swapped 2 of the speakers out of for g12t-75s a while back. Added some low end and opened it up a wee bit but now I'm finally looking to get the other 2 sheffields out of there.

I was wondering what speakers other than v30s would be good to mix in there. I'll mainly be playing older 70s/80s punk stuff and metal ranging from just old school to doom and some thrash so I'm not looking for that super tight downtuned or djenty sound.
Another pair of 75's...

Cliffmmt

Reaction score
Another pair of 75's...

Yeah I forgot to mention that I was considering that too, but I was leaning more towards something else to add a bit more of that classic midrange sound while the 75s can add that extra low and high end.

I was thinking something greenback related after looking into it but most threads didnt mention what type of music everyone was using them for so I figured I'd make a more specific thread

KraftyBob

Reaction score
I have the DSL40C with a G12M-65 Creamback in it and a 1x12 cab with the G12T-75 and love how these two speakers compliment each other. 75 has the bottom end and the Creamback has nice mids to fill in what the 75 lacks, yet has that higher wattage Greenback-ish tone.

Here's a recording I did of this configuration. It was done with a Samson Go Mic so better than a cell phone, but not as high quality as an SM57. Signal chain and settings are in the description.

Edited: I just remembered this won't take you to YouTube so here they are. Also, notice that the volume is low so you don't hear that nice bottom end of the 75 like when the amp is pushed a little more.

Marshall DSL40C with Celestion G12M-65 in amp and a 1x12 Cab w/G12T-75 Signal Chain: PRS Custom 22, DSL40C, Samson Go Mic, Garage Band (No post processing)

Amp Settings
- Classic Gain Mode: Clean
- Gain: 7
- Vol: 2 1/2

- Ultra Gain Mode: OD1
- Gain: 7
- Vol: 1
- Treble: 6
- Mid: 5 1/2
- Bass: 5 1/2
- Presence: 7
- Resonance: 6

0:00 G12M-65 Clean
0:26 G12T-75 Clean
0:54 G12M65 + G12T75 Clean
1:22 G12M-65 OD
2:04 G12T-75 OD
2:48 G12M65 + G12T75 OD

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Yeah I forgot to mention that I was considering that too, but I was leaning more towards something else to add a bit more of that classic midrange sound while the 75s can add that extra low and high end.

I was thinking something greenback related after looking into it but most threads didnt mention what type of music everyone was using them for so I figured I'd make a more specific thread
I'm not a fan of mixing speakers, so I'm gonna stick to my original suggestion. You don't want V30 but it will fill in the middle that you speak of.

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Some vintage G12-65's would make your cab 260 watts, nice! 65's on top and 75's on bottom....

I also really liked the GBs. And you can score some used reissues GBs for fairly cheap.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
If you find the V30s to be a bit too much both volume and mid wise, I put a single V30 in with 3 T75s. Seems to work ok for me.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I have the DSL40C with a G12M-65 Creamback in it and a 1x12 cab with the G12T-75 and love how these two speakers compliment each other. 75 has the bottom end and the Creamback has nice mids to fill in what the 75 lacks, yet has that higher wattage Greenback-ish tone.
Does the G12M -65 Cream sound much like the old Rola G12-65's??

wakjob

Reaction score
25w greenbacks on top w/t75's on bottom
or (second choice) in x-pattern with v30's.

Tried and liked by many.

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
I did not notice (until that link) that Celestion calls the Chinese G12M speaker a Greenback. I always assumed The Heritage H, M, and EVH were also referred to as Greenbacks.

Yeah, I think nowadays, it's a little ambiguous just exactly what a Greenback is, lol.

Cliffmmt

Reaction score
25w greenbacks on top w/t75's on bottom
or (second choice) in x-pattern with v30's.

Tried and liked by many.
Any reason why you wouldn't put the greenbacks in an x pattern?

I've tried to do some research of what else to get in the last year or so since I put in the 75s but it's a bit hard to go by peoples descriptions. Sadly speakers arent as easy and cheap to experiment with like pedals or pickups lol.

At one point I was considering g12-65s but I dont have as much of an idea what they sound like. I have a cab with a v30s that I use when I record some heavier stuff with a friend, and while i like them recorded for that it's not really what I want from this cab. I also find them to be pretty beamy which is one of the things I hate about the scheffields I still have.

Greenbacks I've never actually played but I've always liked the sound I get from various impulses and cab sims based on them so if anyone has thoughts on them vs the creambacks in this situation thatd be great

Latest posts