FX send to FX in - Fixing Input Issue

PurpleCookieDog

Reaction score
Hello, all.
Forgive me if this is not in the right place as I don’t have much experience with forums.
I have a Marshall mg250dfx and yesterday all of a sudden my input isn’t giving any sound. The speakers work because the CD in slot gives sound and also, bringing me to my main point of this thread…Using an instrument cable to plug the FX send to the FX in has completely fixed the issue. The input works while this patch is in place. Does anyone have any idea why this is? Does this mean a solder is probably gone in the FX and I’m bridging the gap? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.🙂

Redguitar

Reaction score
Is there a return level turned down, or a switch not in the right position? That happens to me once in a while. Not very technical, but things to check anyway. It almost sounds like a send, or return jack could have bad contacts.

FracStrat

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, all.
Forgive me if this is not in the right place as I don’t have much experience with forums.
I have a Marshall mg250dfx and yesterday all of a sudden my input isn’t giving any sound. The speakers work because the CD in slot gives sound and also, bringing me to my main point of this thread…Using an instrument cable to plug the FX send to the FX in has completely fixed the issue. The input works while this patch is in place. Does anyone have any idea why this is? Does this mean a solder is probably gone in the FX and I’m bridging the gap? Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.🙂
The FX Send is commonly a shunt Jack …… It completes the circuit when nothing is plugged in …… The contacts get slightly dirty all too often …… Get a can of DeoxIt and spray some directly into the Jacks ( do um all just for good measure ) …… Work a plug in and out several times …… High probability that will solve the issue

FracStrat

Reaction score
:welcome: to the forum.
The send & return jacks are also switches that change the signal path.
As @Redguitar suggested, it may just be a dirty contact that you have bypassed by using a cable in the loop.
Try some Deoxit in the jacks before looking for bad solder joints.
Jinx Fitz !!!

PurpleCookieDog

Reaction score
The FX Send is commonly a shunt Jack …… It completes the circuit when nothing is plugged in …… The contacts get slightly dirty all too often …… Get a can of DeoxIt and spray some directly into the Jacks ( do um all just for good measure ) …… Work a plug in and out several times …… High probability that will solve the issue
:welcome: to the forum.
The send & return jacks are also switches that change the signal path.
As @Redguitar suggested, it may just be a dirty contact that you have bypassed by using a cable in the loop.
Try some Deoxit in the jacks before looking for bad solder joints.
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will grab some of that pressurised cleaner and spray my jacks and see if it fixes the problem.
So am I okay to leave the FX send plugged into the FX in for now? Or does this damage the amp? Thanks again.

Scottz

Reaction score
Leaving the cable in is no different than having effects on the loop bypassed. No problem.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to be argumentative, or discount anyones advice, but In my experience if you just squirt in the jack hole you'll get more cleaner all over the inside the chassis of the amp than on the contacts of the jack. Will it clean the jacks? Yes..probably, but...

If you ever need service done to the amp at a later date, your tech will have to clean up the mess. I have had to clean up a few of these messes, and some were created by myself. Lol.

I prefer to remove the chassis and get right to the contacts of the jacks. I either wrap them in paper towel before I spray, (doesn't take much) or use a q tip to get the cleaner right where it needs to go.

It Does take more time, but I feel it's worth the effort. And while your in there you can see exactly how the jack contacts work.

FracStrat

Reaction score
Not to be argumentative, or discount anyones advice, but In my experience if you just squirt in the jack hole you'll get more cleaner all over the inside the chassis of the amp than on the contacts of the jack. Will it clean the jacks? Yes..probably, but...

If you ever need service done to the amp at a later date, your tech will have to clean up the mess. I have had to clean up a few of these messes, and some were created by myself. Lol.

I prefer to remove the chassis and get right to the contacts of the jacks. I either wrap them in paper towel before I spray, (doesn't take much) or use a q tip to get the cleaner right where it needs to go.

It Does take more time, but I feel it's worth the effort. And while your in there you can see exactly how the jack contacts work.
In all fairness ……I do exactly this …… Using foam tip swabs ( not cotton ) and best practice inside the chassis , mechanical jack contacts, pots, and push button switches all get careful attention ……
The 6100 took the better half of a day ……

FracStrat

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies everyone. I will grab some of that pressurised cleaner and spray my jacks and see if it fixes the problem.
So am I okay to leave the FX send plugged into the FX in for now? Or does this damage the amp? Thanks again.
Specifically >>>> DeoxIt D5

Attachments

• 24EC29A3-F597-4A91-A3F4-7DF2367DA70F.jpeg
    24EC29A3-F597-4A91-A3F4-7DF2367DA70F.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts