Freaking Peavey and their 12 switching jacks - fixed the Rock Master preamp AGAIN

Riffraff

Reaction score
If you buy one of these make sure to get a can of contact cleaner and a small round brush so you can clean out the 12 jacks on the back every couple of months. :wallbash:

But I love how it sounds so what can a guy do? :shrug:

M5qa1QL.jpg

This isn't meant to be anything. It's just something I played straight through in order to confirm this wouldn't cut out on me again 2 minutes in. Sloppy AF in some spots too. :lol: I've grown a little tired of the pedal rig substitutes I've been using for the last couple of weeks.

Here it is warts and all.

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
Nice job!

That's some very tasteful, emotional expression. Very soulful playing, gave me shivers. You've honed your craft well.

I'd buy it. Thanks for posting.

Jon Snell

Reaction score
You could, of course, consider replacing the jacks with Switchcraft; (copper alloy, nickel plated contacts) Neutrik; (CuSn6 contacts) {other manufacturers are available}, to avoid build up of tarnish and bad contacts.
Should give a better lifespan and be cost effective in the long run.
That's what I do and I never see them again.

Riffraff

Reaction score
Nice job!

That's some very tasteful, emotional expression. Very soulful playing, gave me shivers. You've honed your craft well.

I'd buy it. Thanks for posting.

Thanks for the kind words brother.

I gigged with one of those preamps for years. My solution was to jumper each loop with a short patch cable, which made the unit maintenance free.

I'm going to do that while I have it out of the rack. I tried to resolve the issue that way and it didn't work so the dirty one may have been the output jack. I've got this in the bottom slot of my rack too which probably isn't the best idea.

You could, of course, consider replacing the jacks with Switchcraft; (copper alloy, nickel plated contacts) Neutrik; (CuSn6 contacts) {other manufacturers are available}, to avoid build up of tarnish and bad contacts.
Should give a better lifespan and be cost effective in the long run.
That's what I do and I never see them again.

They are all pcb mounted jacks so that would be a PITA. I replaced all 8 relays in this when I bought it because the old ones were completely shot so I'm not afraid of swapping parts on the board but the traces are a real thin in some spots and it's pretty easy to lift them. I had to jumper to a solder pad with a small length of 22awg solid hook-up wire when I did the relays because one of the tiny traces lifted. I would rather avoid dealing with that again. Thanks for the tip on the jacks though. I'll keep those in mind for other projects. :dude:

Last edited:

KraftyBob

Reaction score
There’s something about a Peavey. I played them growing up and never had a complaint. Last fall I picked up a Bandit 112 Silver Stripe that didn’t work with the intention to fix and resell it. Once I heard that tone again I decided this one was a keeper 😀.

Nice work and nice playing too!