For fun and nostalgia

slade

Reaction score
So a friend and I were talking a while back about the guitar gear that we’ve had throughout the years. He mentioned about how cool it would be if we could get some of it back to get the guitar tones that we had in the ‘90’s and early ‘00’s. I can’t remember everything that I’ve had and I don’t want to remember how much money I’ve spent on it. I remember the amps and most of the pedals but I’m having trouble with the rack gear. One of the rack pre amps was a digitech valve fx. I spotted one on eBay and bought it. I had another pre amp and I’m thinking that it was a dod with a pre amp tube in it. But I could be wrong on that. My main problem is that I can’t remember what rackmount amps I had. I replaced the first one for some reason. I do remember not having the normal gain/distortion from a traditional amp so I’m thinking that they were a clean power amp probably solid state. I had this stuff in the early to mid ‘90’s so the amps and my first rack pre amp most likely came out in the ‘80’s. Hopefully someone will be able to remember what was out then and point me I the direction to look at. Thanks

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
So a friend and I were talking a while back about the guitar gear that we’ve had throughout the years. He mentioned about how cool it would be if we could get some of it back to get the guitar tones that we had in the ‘90’s and early ‘00’s. I can’t remember everything that I’ve had and I don’t want to remember how much money I’ve spent on it. I remember the amps and most of the pedals but I’m having trouble with the rack gear. One of the rack pre amps was a digitech valve fx. I spotted one on eBay and bought it. I had another pre amp and I’m thinking that it was a dod with a pre amp tube in it. But I could be wrong on that. My main problem is that I can’t remember what rackmount amps I had. I replaced the first one for some reason. I do remember not having the normal gain/distortion from a traditional amp so I’m thinking that they were a clean power amp probably solid state. I had this stuff in the early to mid ‘90’s so the amps and my first rack pre amp most likely came out in the ‘80’s. Hopefully someone will be able to remember what was out then and point me I the direction to look at. Thanks
Sorry I bypassed all the rack gear , an never went down that rabbit hole..
Good luck though, because I think a large amount of guys here hit it in stride.

Cheers
Mitch

V-man

Reaction score
TL;DR - I had no concept of tone nor appreciation for the rabbit hole of gear back in the salad days, and never had much worth salivating over (besides the guitars themselves).

My first amp was the gargantuan Peavey Renown 400 with a DOD Supra Distortion (because my friend, a talented player) had one. It sounded like shit and I got rid of that along with a DOD noise gate (having no appreciable understandable understanding of its use).

I remember hating the look of the RATs back then likely turning my nose at some classics in the used case. The one mod I was interested in was (overbearing airplane) flange and got a Boss BF-2, which underwhelmed the hell out of me and went up for sale with the Renown 400.

Senior Year I got my JCM 900, which was straight in and the epitome of badass to me (little did I know for years “what a total piece of shit it was” according to the then-undeveloped internet lore). I did flirt with a GSP-21 but even then the ADD suggested the patch curve was too much hassle.

It wasn’t until ‘97-’98 that I got a plastic SoundTank TS, remembering my first guitar teacher raving about them years back. So, the real rabbit hole for me was ‘09 when a MC wreck brought me back into guitars and I most surely gear-whored to make up for lost time, but the reality was that everything I had in my formative years (a few Jacksons, a Gibson Explorer and a 4100 half stack) was more than I ever needed.

Derek S

Reaction score
I was using a Peavy Rockmaster preamp into a Mesa 20/20 pwr amp with some sort of Alesis verb/delay unit into a 2x12 cab and getting really nice tones. I sometimes wish I had kept those rack pieces (still have the old 2x12 as it used to be pops when he was young, circa '67)...It was a small rack compared to other dudes at the time but my needs were few (and funds lol).

saxon68

VIP in training. J/K
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
TubeWorks sounds like one of the amps that I used to have. I’m going to check out the ADA and the stealth.
Stealth is an amp head or combo from Crate. One of those tube amps designed by Lee Jackson, killer sound, marred by crate’s reputation for being solid state beginner amps.

If you find one cheap grab it, it’s great for late 80s sound.

slade

Reaction score
Cheaper the better for now. Just running the valve fx through that power amp side of my Marshall will be fine for now.

jeffb

Reaction score
I don't even like to talk about all the crap rack gear I bought.

What makes it worse is I traded some killer highly sought after amps and older effects pedals to buy it. Things that not only have stood the test of time, but also would be worth beaucoup $ if I had them today.

As I've said before, if I ever got to time travel back to the late 80s, I'd

:nutkick:

myself.