Fender Player Stratocaster

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Anyone own one / played one? Would like some feedback on your experiences. I noticed one in a guitar shop earlier (buttercream color), and though it caught my eye, I didn’t put it in my hands. There are so many variations of the Stratocaster these days that it’s confusing. The prices look attractive (and I haven’t had a Strat since Spring of 2021 … so, you know!). What say you? Pics are welcome!

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
I have a Player Plus, which is a bit of an upgrade from the Player, including noiseless neck and mid and a humbucker, as well as American style bridge. I like it. Excellent neck and overall playability, good tones from all 3 pickups. I didn't like the nut so I made a bone nut to replace it.

(edit) The Player Plus has a 12" radius, while the Player is a 9.5". I prefer the flatter board.

Player Pluls.JPG

Heisenbob

Reaction score
One thing to consider about the Player series (maybe not the Player Plus, not sure), is that the guitars have asymmetrical necks. I owned a Player Telecaster for a while and never noticed it until I bought an American Pro Stratocaster. After playing the Strat for a while, I really started to dislike the asymmetrical neck and sold it. That's just my personal opinion. With that being said, I do think the Player series are quality guitars.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I have a Player Plus, which is a bit of an upgrade from the Player, including noiseless neck and mid and a humbucker, as well as American style bridge. I like it. Excellent neck and overall playability, good tones from all 3 pickups. I didn't like the nut so I made a bone nut to replace it.

(edit) The Player Plus has a 12" radius, while the Player is a 9.5". I prefer the flatter board.

View attachment 116505

That’s a beauty.

Lol, yeah, that’s kinda what I mean by confusing, as I didn’t know they had a “plus” version of it.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
One thing to consider about the Player series (maybe not the Player Plus, not sure), is that the guitars have asymmetrical necks. I owned a Player Telecaster for a while and never noticed it until I bought an American Pro Stratocaster. After playing the Strat for a while, I really started to dislike the asymmetrical neck and sold it. That's just my personal opinion. With that being said, I do think the Player series are quality guitars.

Hmmm, thanks for pointing that out, as that’s a spec that I wouldn’t want. Well, that was an interesting journey.

PaulHikeS2

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Player Strats are pretty solid. If I didn't own a Strat and the price was right, I'd definitely get one. And buttercream is a great color on a Strat.

KidBlast

Reaction score
Oh a wide range humbucker? I didn't realize they came with those.. How do you like it in the JVM.

Good choice there, I have one of those heads too. I love it

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Anyone own one / played one? Would like some feedback on your experiences. I noticed one in a guitar shop earlier (buttercream color), and though it caught my eye, I didn’t put it in my hands. There are so many variations of the Stratocaster these days that it’s confusing. The prices look attractive (and I haven’t had a Strat since Spring of 2021 … so, you know!). What say you? Pics are welcome!
These are fantastic guitars. Used to have a cream-colored one that I wasn‘t playing much, being a Les Paulite, so I gave it to my son. Regrets ever since! Plays beautifully and sounds great. Check it out.

junk notes

Reaction score

Thanks for that useful info @Trumpet Rider and @Heisenbob!:yesway: Definitely something to take into consideration.

Last edited:

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
Oh a wide range humbucker? I didn't realize they came with those.. How do you like it in the JVM.

Good choice there, I have one of those heads too. I love it
I like it. It is probably the least hot humbucker of my 5 guitars, but that gives this guitar its own place among the group. It still has plenty of bite when wanted. It splits really well too, sounding like a true single coil. My other splittable guitar has a JB and it sounds shrill and pretty unusable when split.

Last edited:

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
Thanks for that useful info @Trumpet Rider and @Heisenbob!:yesway: Definitely something to take into consideration.
From what I can tell from MF and Sweertwater, both the Player and Player Plus have the Modern C neck. If it is asymetrical I can't tell. Crossroadsnyc, you will just have to get one into your hands and see how it feels to you.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only thing I wish they would have done on the player series is to use block saddles, not the stamped ones. I do love the look of the buttercreme and maple fretboard. And it's a fantastic player. I about shit when I saw they only wanted $250 for it.

I have a modern player series Strat also, and that has the full block saddles , 2 pt trem like an Am standard. Transparent red, rosewood fretboard. That was only $150...some pawn shops...lol..gotta love it.

If I could figure out the resizing the pics thing on my phone I'd post some pics. But apparently I'm stupid when it comes to that.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
From what I can tell from MF and Sweertwater, both the Player and Player Plus have the Modern C neck. If it is asymetrical I can't tell. Crossroadsnyc, you will just have to get one into your hands and see how it feels to you.

I decided to revisit this, and it does look like they are listed as a modern C shape, with no mention of it being asymmetrical. We’re gonna be back out that way in the next week (+/-), so I think we’ll stop in and give it a good look / feel (hopefully it’s still there!). Looking at the pics on Sweetwater gave me that butterfly flutter in the pit of my stomach, so that’s probably a good sign that I’m legit interested.

I’ve taken a new approach to guitars in the past few years, where I’m no longer actively searching out guitars, but rather, letting guitars find me. We’ll see if this is meant to be!

Related: I recently dumped a bunch of guitars that have been sitting around unused for the last couple of years, and replaced it with another one (that found my daughter and I at about the exact same second … wasn’t looking for it, but it came home with us! I’ve dropped some hints over the past few years, so some of you might know what we found!). We’ve got a couple of projects taking up some space right now, but hopefully I’ll snap some pics of it in the next couple weeks and do a NGD thread (and if this one works out, maybe 2 NGD threads?).

Vinsanitizer

K i T t E h !!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I decided to revisit this, and it does look like they are listed as a modern C shape, with no mention of it being asymmetrical. We’re gonna be back out that way in the next week (+/-), so I think we’ll stop in and give it a good look / feel (hopefully it’s still there!). Looking at the pics on Sweetwater gave me that butterfly flutter in the pit of my stomach, so that’s probably a good sign that I’m legit interested.

I’ve taken a new approach to guitars in the past few years, where I’m no longer actively searching out guitars, but rather, letting guitars find me. We’ll see if this is meant to be!

Related: I recently dumped a bunch of guitars that have been sitting around unused for the last couple of years, and replaced it with another one (that found my daughter and I at about the exact same second … wasn’t looking for it, but it came home with us! I’ve dropped some hints over the past few years, so some of you might know what we found!). We’ve got a couple of projects taking up some space right now, but hopefully I’ll snap some pics of it in the next couple weeks and do a NGD thread (and if this one works out, maybe 2 NGD threads?).

Hey Cross, whatever happened to your Malmsteen Strat?

The only thing that stopped me from buying one was the scalloped fretboard: if I fell in love with it, I'd hate all the rest of my guitars. :D

Last edited:

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Hey Cross, whatever happened to your Malmsteen Strat?

The only thing that stopped me from buying one was the scalloped fretboard: if I fell in love with it, I'd hate all the rest of my guitars. :D

Yeah, that’s the exact reason I got rid of mine, as I didn’t want to go down that rabbit hole. I suppose it all depends on the player (i.e. light touch vs heavy handed), but I found the scalloped board to be unbelievably comfortable. Those Malmsteen Strats are fantastic … look great too!

Latest posts