Fender 57 Custom Tweed

G the wildman

Reaction score
Hi Friends,

Yesterday I traded my Blues Junior, Headrush Gig board and a fist full of dollars for a handwired champ. (New).

The head headrush was killing me I am too OCD to own one - all tweaking no playing.

Any I can't believe how much I spent on this new toy.

First up it gives the tone I have been looking for. My SV20 also satisfied in that way.

But the 57 is so small. I need to do a lot of work with it to see how to use it. The sweet spots that I have found are gorgeous but to loud in my studio, I will have to deflect the sound some how.

Anyway I have always wanted one and now I have it. I will feed back reports over time.

G

Im247frogs

Reaction score
Where did you buy the kit.

Was it hard to build.

Are u a tech

How much was it.
I've built about 10 amps.

I've never purchased a kit, for some reason I prefer to source all the parts from different places, buying the exact components I want, and to make the whole thing more challenging. I've learned more by going of the schematic and the layout than following instructions.

I'd like to think I've done my level best at resurrecting some old tired amps to their former glory, and reversing other peoples amp-butchery before passing them on, but I've not taken an amp in for repair or advertised for such.

A Tweed Deluxe kit is a very easy and straightforward circuit for a beginner, however the standard tweed-type chassis is a pain in the ass to solder in, especially if you are a neophyte, especially if you have big hands.
A Mojo kit including a cab and speaker is under 1K, I did mine for a few hundred less. Saved a bunch by drilling the chassis myself, waited for a dirt cheap cab to come along, etc.

I agree w Scooter, the Tweed Champ is a super popular kit and the usual first build for 1000's of people for very good reasons- there's literally nothing simpler, they sound awesome, you will learn a ton by doing it. And they all come w easy to follow instructions. Also anyone here or on the TDPRI forum can help you troubleshoot it easily.

Hope that helps!

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
I've built about 10 amps.

I've never purchased a kit, for some reason I prefer to source all the parts from different places, buying the exact components I want, and to make the whole thing more challenging. I've learned more by going of the schematic and the layout than following instructions.

I'd like to think I've done my level best at resurrecting some old tired amps to their former glory, and reversing other peoples amp-butchery before passing them on, but I've not taken an amp in for repair or advertised for such.

A Tweed Deluxe kit is a very easy and straightforward circuit for a beginner, however the standard tweed-type chassis is a pain in the ass to solder in, especially if you are a neophyte, especially if you have big hands.
A Mojo kit including a cab and speaker is under 1K, I did mine for a few hundred less. Saved a bunch by drilling the chassis myself, waited for a dirt cheap cab to come along, etc.

I agree w Scooter, the Tweed Champ is a super popular kit and the usual first build for 1000's of people for very good reasons- there's literally nothing simpler, they sound awesome, you will learn a ton by doing it. And they all come w easy to follow instructions. Also anyone here or on the TDPRI forum can help you troubleshoot it easily.

Hope that helps!
I just purchased a ebay 5E3 kit for $289 shipped. No speaker, no cab, but everything else including Psvane tubes.
Im looking forward to building it when things slow down.
I like the 5E3, and looking forward to adding one to my stable, but just cant justify spending a lot of money one one.
Maybe after building it, I will change my mind???

G the wildman

Reaction score
I just purchased a ebay 5E3 kit for $289 shipped. No speaker, no cab, but everything else including Psvane tubes.
I like the 5E3, and looking forward to adding one to my stable, but just cant justify spending a lot of money one one.
I know what you mean. Mine cost £1140.00
Even now when I look at it, I can see it was too much money.

But it is all I am playing through at the moment and it is nice. BUT it does need pedals.

Anyway I have done it now.

This hobby is so addictive and takes money if you let it.

I will take it to my practice group this Monday and see how it holds up. I think the drummer may drown it.

G

pedecamp

Reaction score
I'm looking at 5E3 kits on ebay too right now, I cant justify spending a fortune for one so these cheap kits look interesting, do you have the link so I can see what you got?

Only thing I'm worried about is I've not built anything before and fear screwing up this cheap build and costing me a fortune in tech fees to get it working! 😲

Last edited:

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
The sound of a cranked Tweed Deluxe is a glorious thing. The clean sounds are great too, IMHO.

Try something like a Bad Bob boost in front of it and stand back!

G the wildman

Reaction score
Hi Stummer Joe,

When I switch this tweed on the Tone is there every time. I could never quite get this on my modeller.

I have just spent a few hours with pedals including a Spark Boost,

Sound glorious. If it had a ten inch speaker I think it would be better. But it is a 57 Tweed Champ and that is what it is.

It is very loud in my studio so needs pedals. But Monday coming I will crank it with and without pedals at my music club.

Can’t wait.

G

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Hi Stummer Joe,

When I switch this tweed on the Tone is there every time. I could never quite get this on my modeller.

I have just spent a few hours with pedals including a Spark Boost,

Sound glorious. If it had a ten inch speaker I think it would be better. But it is a 57 Tweed Champ and that is what it is.

It is very loud in my studio so needs pedals. But Monday coming I will crank it with and without pedals at my music club.

Can’t wait.

G
A Tweed Champ is a very cool amp too, IMHO.

Have a blast blasting it!

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
I'm looking at 5E3 kits on ebay too right now, I cant justify spending a fortune for one so these cheap kits look interesting, do you have the link so I can see what you got?

Only thing I'm worried about is I've not built anything before and fear screwing up this cheap build and costing me a fortune in tech fees to get it working! 😲
Here is the link to the $289 kit that I recently purchased:
The sellers states, that there is no tech advice included at that price!
Imagine that!
So please keep that in mind!
I just purchased and received one.
It arrived extremely fast from China!
6 days transit time total.
Unbelievably fast shipping.
The kit includes everything except cab and speaker.
The quality is decent for a $289 5E3 kit!
The chrome chassis is very nice.
The pre-amp tubes that I received are Psvane.
It comes with a schematic, but thats all the help you get from seller!
However, there is plenty of info on 5E3's on the web.
The transformers are my biggest concern at this point, as there are many spare wires, with no instructions, but I believe I have figured it out.
The big bag of resistors are not labeled, so you must be able to "read" them based on their colored stripes.
Ive listened to one and they sound great, just like the $600 kits.
But be forewarned....
If you order one, your going to get a big box of parts, and must figure it out yourself!
Thats half the fun!

G the wildman

Reaction score
Imagine that!
The transformers are my biggest concern at this point, as there are many spare wires, with no instructions, but I believe I have figured it out.
The big bag of resistors are not labeled, so you must be able to "read" them based on their colored stripes.
But be forewarned....
If you order one, your going to get a big box of parts, and must figure it out yourself!
Thats half the fun!
Are kits available for dummies. With step by step instructions?

I am /was a builder so I am practical. But not technical. I don’t even know what a transistor is or does.

G

pedecamp

Reaction score
Imagine that!
But be forewarned....
Thats half the fun!
Thats the same one I'm looking at! Heres a video explaining the transformer:

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Are kits available for dummies. With step by step instructions?

I am /was a builder so I am practical. But not technical. I don’t even know what a transistor is or does.

G

MojoTone offers a nice kit and sells for $580.
That might be a better option for you:
I assume they offer telephone help, and they do have numerous YouTube videos on the assembly of THEIR kit.
They also sell finished cabinets and speakers.

MojoTone also offers a 2 day class, for $1000, where you show up in North Carolina, and get hands on help over the coarse of 2 days.
Theoretically, 2 days latter, you walk away with a complete and working 5E3, including cab and speaker, that YOU built!
They offer the class quarterly, so I believe a new class will be offered soon???

So here are some of your options in a nut shell:

1. $289 Chinese kit with absolutely no help.
2. $580 MojoTone kit with very good help.
3. $1000 MojoTone class that includes cab, speaker, and hands on instruction.
4. Aprox. $600 up to $40,000 Purchase a used or new assembled 5E3 .

Unbelievable what these vintage Fenders are selling for!

Last edited:

pedecamp

Reaction score
MojoTone offers a nice kit and sells for $580.
That might be a better option for you:
I assume they offer telephone help, and they do have numerous YouTube videos on the assembly of THEIR kit.
They also sell finished cabinets and speakers.

MojoTone also offers a 2 day class, for $1000, where you show up in North Carolina, and get hands on help over the coarse of 2 days.
Theoretically, 2 days latter, you walk away with a complete and working 5E3, including cab and speaker, that YOU built!
They offer the class quarterly, so I believe a new class will be offered soon???

So here are some of your options in a nut shell:

1. $289 Chinese kit with absolutely no help.
2. $580 MojoTone kit with very good help.
3. $1000 MojoTone class that includes cab, speaker, and hands on instruction.
4. Aprox. $600 up to $40,000 Purchase a used or new assembled 5E3 .

Unbelievable what these vintage Fenders are selling for!
This is exactly what I was thinking, build the Chinese kit with Mojotone instructions and layout. :yesway:

I have a speaker cab and speaker I dont use I can adapt into a combo. :yesway:

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
This is exactly what I was thinking, build the Chinese kit with Mojotone instructions and layout. :yesway:

I have a speaker cab and speaker I dont use I can adapt into a combo. :yesway:

Thats exactly my game plan.

Maybe have $750 invested in it when finished.

I hope it sounds and looks like this, because I dont have $10,000 laying around!

5e3x.jpg

Latest posts