Favorite Tube brand ?

midnightdreamer

Reaction score
hey ya'll :D

i know there's a bunch of tubes out there but what do you think is the best? :wave:

i'd love to hear from you guys cuz i hear from the peeps at MLP that changing tubes can be a great upgrade for your amp.. :fingersx:

:hippie:

rocndaddy

Reaction score
Retubed 2 amps I previously owned. In a Peavey XXX used JJ EL34's for powerand for preamp. In a Vox AC30CCH head, used EH EL84's again for power, mix of EH & JJ's for preamp. Made a HUGE difference in sound. Didn't change the nature of the amps, just re-sculpted the tonal character a bit. Definitely a cool thing to try. I was lucky cause both amps don't require bias adjustment for the power tubes. My Marshalls are different. Only experimented with preamp tubes, but again, big difference. Bought a 50 watt MV head that came with Mesa & Ruby preamp tubes. Although they are older, no other preamp tube I've tried comes close to the sound I get with these. Of course, tone is subjective, but try experimenting. Check out the tube vendor websites, it can be addictive.

midnightdreamer

Reaction score
Retubed 2 amps I previously owned. In a Peavey XXX used JJ EL34's for powerand for preamp. In a Vox AC30CCH head, used EH EL84's again for power, mix of EH & JJ's for preamp. Made a HUGE difference in sound. Didn't change the nature of the amps, just re-sculpted the tonal character a bit. Definitely a cool thing to try. I was lucky cause both amps don't require bias adjustment for the power tubes. My Marshalls are different. Only experimented with preamp tubes, but again, big difference. Bought a 50 watt MV head that came with Mesa & Ruby preamp tubes. Although they are older, no other preamp tube I've tried comes close to the sound I get with these. Of course, tone is subjective, but try experimenting. Check out the tube vendor websites, it can be addictive.

thanks man :thumb:

i'll look into it more :wave:

do you know of any other good tube vendor websites aside from Tube Depot? :fingersx:

:hippie: