Essential Pedals. What's Yours?

wntbtw

Reaction score
SLP 1959 / 2203 - Tuner - SD1 - BED - HOF. I use a Boss LS to separate the Prescription Electronics Yardbird, Wilson Wah & Fulltone DejaVibe.
I had a Prescription Electronics 'Yardbox' back in the 90`s--decent pedal for the LZ-1 tones.

Attachments

• IM002572.JPG
    IM002572.JPG
    793.8 KB · Views: 1

december

Reaction score
If I could only have one pedal, it would have to be delay. Source Audio Nemesis is great because it has every possible tap division and subdivision, stereo I/O, pitch shifting types, complex rhythmic multi-taps. And hi & low cut controls to fit it in the mix. I use it on guitar and bass a lot.
Revv G4 is my must-have distortion.
Horizon Devices Precision Drive makes the distortion perfect, with an Attack (tight) knob, bright knob, and built-in adjustable gate, there's no need for another pedal just for the gate.
Chorus is always on for clean tones. And a Friedman Buxom Boost. I know most people use clean boosts before dirt but this one really makes the clean tones more defined. It has EQ and a Tight knob, which I really wanted for cleans because I do a lot of clean palm-muting, and the Precision Drive can't do a clean boost. Tight tightens the low end but then you can boost the bass to make up for lost low end but it still stays tight.
For bass: a compressor is necessary. A real comp, with attack, release, threshold and ratio. I've got the Keeley Comp Pro, w/hard & soft knee. It's great, quieter than I thought a comp could be. Always on for bass and clean guitar.
Since I got the EHX Tri-Parallel Mixer I could not go without it now. I'm running 3 simultaneous distortions (G4, Pugilist, Nano Metal Muff) in parallel, with the Buxom Boost into the Precision Drive into the mixer. Such a huge, full, perfect distortion tone. I could never go back to just boost->OD->1 distortion.
And for cleans I'm running chorus/flanger/phaser simultaneously, into delay, reverb. So much dimension and depth.
With bass I'm using the mixer to run a preamp, a modeler, and either a distortion or flanger simultaneously.
It's very useful and always in use.
Chorus is always on for bass, too.
And I'd hate to go without the Sonic Stomp with bass. I need a really bright bass tone and the SS really brings that out, and really helps the definition on the .148 low A string.

tonycaster

Reaction score
a boost and a delay, no matter which. Like this, I can play any kind of music (except classical), no matter the amp or guitar

deadman666

Reaction score
I'm looking to add other things but...

*Ibanez Tube Screamer mini. I'm not sure you can beat this pedal. It's kicked several more expensive pedals off the board. I've owned it at least 3x. Cheap on the used market as well. Most of the more expensive stuff isn't worth the premium over it. Been there, done that.

* Korg Pitchblack Tuner. A robust pedal that tracks very quickly. You can't see a tuner pedal from the back row, but if it aint there..you'll know it lol

*ISP Decimator. These are essential noise gates that work. Buy used for an even better deal. I've used more expensive gates. Waste of money. Much like the TS mini, I've owned the ISP Decimator at least 3x. Went back to it because I have never had any issue with one and it doesn't chop the high end off like lots of others do.

I'm looking to add other things but...

*Ibanez Tube Screamer mini. I'm not sure you can beat this pedal. It's kicked several more expensive pedals off the board. I've owned it at least 3x. Cheap on the used market as well. Most of the more expensive stuff isn't worth the premium over it. Been there, done that.

* Korg Pitchblack Tuner. A robust pedal that tracks very quickly. You can't see a tuner pedal from the back row, but if it aint there..you'll know it lol

*ISP Decimator. These are essential noise gates that work. Buy used for an even better deal. I've used more expensive gates. Waste of money. Much like the TS mini, I've owned the ISP Decimator at least 3x. Went back to it because I have never had any issue with one and it doesn't chop the high end off like lots of others do.
I never reply to anything and only read posts on this forum. But this... Had to reply. I could've wrote this one. These exact three boxes are on my board, have been for years, and will be forever.

El Gringo

Reaction score
I just got my replacement Flanger BOSS BF 3 and it's pretty nice and funky with the ultra mode . I mostly use the standard mode which is good enough for me .

Neptical

Reaction score
Update:

Boss SD-1 (always on) --> Wampler Tumnus ---> Boss OD-3-->ProCo FatRat.

Boss OD-3 - what a superb pedal. If you want extra glassiness under your tone, this is it. I'm pretty amazed that running in to the ( also newly purchased) Proco FatRat that it still retains glassiness while letting the FatRat do it's thing - FATTEN the tone in such a rich, harmonic way.

This duo ( in tandem with SD-1 always on) is simply fantastic with my Origin 50 heads and Fender combos. They stack great.

Maple neck HSS Strats to boot, it's easy to pass the time riffing for hours.